Even if some 170s stay beyond May they will only be able to use them on Ebbw Vale or Maesteg (or a combination of both) and probabaly just free up some extra 175s to leave TFW. Is there a reason they might hang onto the 170s longer as I thought EMR needed them asap?Don't get too ahead of yourselves folks. TfW's May TT will very likely be changing.
Hearing that some 170's are now staying a bit longer.
I'm always skeptical with these early diagram releases, I tend to request them only a couple of weeks before the timetable starts.Don't get too ahead of yourselves folks. TfW's May TT will very likely be changing.
Hearing that some 170's are now staying a bit longer.
Yes im skeptical about them too, especially as things seem to change on almost a weekly basis sometimes. We were told when we had the draft Dec 23 TT that Swanline was going to be 153s, now it seems 197s are involved as soon as May. But all could change next week.I'm always skeptical with these early diagram releases, I tend to request them only a couple of weeks before the timetable starts.
Indeed.I'm always skeptical with these early diagram releases, I tend to request them only a couple of weeks before the timetable starts.
some Cardiff Swansea stopping Swanline services, and a new Swansea Carmarthen shuttle booked for 197s
The Swansea - Carmarthen shuttle is a training train and not for public use. Note the Class 3 headcode.]
Thanks for the summary. Thats pretty much what I picked up from it too although I hadn't noticed a new Swansea-Carmarthen shuttle booked for a 197!
I did think it was a very optimistic increase in 197 utilisation alright.Don't get too ahead of yourselves folks. TfW's May TT will very likely be changing.
Hearing that some 170's are now staying a bit longer.
There is 175111 is a parts donor at Longsight depot, two more are out of service with fire damage and 175002 is parked at Holyhead.It shows 18 175s diagrams from May, plus probably 2-3 more needed for maintenance, so perhaps they're expecting to send 6 or 7 units back to the leasing company between now and when the new timetable starts?
I saw that 175 at Longsight on Moday a few times passing the depot. Off for scrap at some point then?There is 175111 is a parts donor at Longsight depot, two more are out of service with fire damage and 175002 is parked at Holyhead.
Its only one out of service with fire damage only 175008 out of service due to that 175009 has reentered serviceThere is 175111 is a parts donor at Longsight depot, two more are out of service with fire damage and 175002 is parked at Holyhead.
Im aware that the shuttle is for training but didnt notice it on the document when i scanned through it.The Swansea - Carmarthen shuttle is a training train and not for public use. Note the Class 3 headcode.
I did think it was a very optimistic increase in 197 utilisation alright.
In the first photo, is that a luggage rack directly in front of the passenger door buttons?The 197 is a good train however it's better for short distance journeys rather than long distances journeys. I do like the 197. I had 197015 from Manchester International Airport to Chester on 1D38 (20/2/23) and although it was busy throughout to Chester it was an nice experience. Seats are fine, some by windows some not however. WiFi, plugs and USB plugs. One toilet in it and a galley for hot food/drink which could of been used for more seats for example. Information screes are good. Luggage space is good. Tray tables are good and seat reservations as well. Some photos included.
It's a reflection of the actual buttonsIn the first photo, is that a luggage rack directly in front of the passenger door buttons?
What about the one that caught fire at Wilmslow yesterday? Reported as 175101Its only one out of service with fire damage only 175008 out of service due to that 175009 has reentered service
What about the one that caught fire at Wilmslow yesterday? Reported as 175101

I missed reports of that one thought you were referring to the 108/109 fire not good at all then they certainly need a dedicated depotWhat about the one that caught fire at Wilmslow yesterday? Reported as 175101
Out of Llandudno on weekdays the 08:43, 1143, 14:43 and 17:43 are solid 175 workings other than those pretty much all usually* show as 197s not sure what time your intending to go on one?Are all Llandudno-Manchester Airport booked for 197s now or are some still 175s? If not any idea how long before all will be booked 197s? May TT or earlier? I am hoping to FINALLY ride a 197 next week and it would be helpful to know, although will obviously be checking RTT!
Thanks for the reply and info. The one I'm aiming for is the 1352 Chester to Manchester. I have been keeping an eye on that one and most days its been a 197 but there was one day it was a 175 (last Friday I think). If a 175 turns up I will have a Plan B!Out of Llandudno on weekdays the 08:43, 1143, 14:43 and 17:43 are solid 175 workings other than those pretty much all usually* show as 197s not sure what time your intending to go on one?
That's a really good choice that's almost always a 197, very rarely shows as a 175 like you said!Thanks for the reply and info. The one I'm aiming for is the 1352 Chester to Manchester. I have been keeping an eye on that one and most days its been a 197 but there was one day it was a 175 (last Friday I think). If a 175 turns up I will have a Plan B!
Thanks. Fingers crossed all goes to plan!That's a really good choice that's almost always a 197, very rarely shows as a 175 like you said!
There's been 3 197s on MIA - LLD for the last couple of weeks, pretty sure that's been a regular one.Possibly another 197 diagram from this week; the 14:25 Manchester Airport-Llandudno is being worked by a 2-car 197 today, it's been a 175 in previous weeks.
Would assume that the hours they run through to Manchester it would be 5 cars from Swansea to Manchester but only 2 cars further West. Perhaps to balance things out they will have a 3 car on the West Wales services that start from Cardiff or maybe it will be 5 as far as Swansea?Is it still the plan to run 2 car 197s in west Wales, then couple up to a 3 car unit in Swansea to run as a 5 car set to Manchester?
Or given that every other hour, a change in Cardiff is needed to transfer to a mark 4 set, will the 5 car 197 services only exist from Cardiff to Manchester?
5 car services from Cardiff to Swansea would certainly be welcome in the peak!Would assume that the hours they run through to Manchester it would be 5 cars from Swansea to Manchester but only 2 cars further West. Perhaps to balance things out they will have a 3 car on the West Wales services that start from Cardiff or maybe it will be 5 as far as Swansea?
Yes its much needed. Even off peak ive seen 3 car 175s struggle with many people standing.5 car services from Cardiff to Swansea would certainly be welcome in the peak!
In the latest published plans (the since hidden proposed December 2023 timetable) it shows 5 cars to Swansea, 2 cars West of there.Is it still the plan to run 2 car 197s in west Wales, then couple up to a 3 car unit in Swansea to run as a 5 car set to Manchester?
Or given that every other hour, a change in Cardiff is needed to transfer to a mark 4 set, will the 5 car 197 services only exist from Cardiff to Manchester?