• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF class 197 Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Plasmanoodle

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2017
Messages
53
Location
Port Talbot
The 1330 is being replaced with a 150 at Cardiff. No surprises there.

But it's good that a few of the Cardiff to Manchesters are 197s now even if not all booked. Progress is very slowly being made.
I wonder if the 1630 will be replaced at Cardiff, also, or if it’ll run through to Swansea as that’s where it’s terminating.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
I wonder if the 1630 will be replaced at Cardiff, also, or if it’ll run through to Swansea as that’s where it’s terminating.
As far as I know they still arent running to Swansea in passenger service so I very much doubt it!
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Thanks, both. I was pondering whether to go out and see it, or not. Turns out it’s a ‘not’, this time!
If it was id be catching it myself!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Will the 197's have to go to Tenby eventually?
Eventually yes. Not due to be on the Pembroke Dock branch line until May 2024 at the earliest. Probably even later than that now given everything seems to be months behind. Unsure whether the daily Manchester-Tenby could switch to a 197 sooner, not sure if the plan is for it still to run through to Tenby when the timetable change happens.
 

Anonymous10

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2019
Messages
2,635
Location
wales
Or knowing TfW it will be a single 153 from Cardiff :lol:

Good the Kit Kat carriers (the 197s) are spreading their wings with runs to Manchester from Cardiff.
Well it Met us half way with 150280 taking up the ropes from 197019.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

If it was id be catching it myself!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Eventually yes. Not due to be on the Pembroke Dock branch line until May 2024 at the earliest. Probably even later than that now given everything seems to be months behind. Unsure whether the daily Manchester-Tenby could switch to a 197 sooner, not sure if the plan is for it still to run through to Tenby when the timetable change happens.
I would presume it would depend on staff and clearance they may start the Manchester tenby and weekends to Pembroke dock as 197s sooner with the rest changing over later.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Well it Met us half way with 150280 taking up the ropes from 197019.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I would presume it would depend on staff and clearance they may start the Manchester tenby and weekends to Pembroke dock as 197s sooner with the rest changing over later.
They may do. The plans for the December 2023 timetable (which have since been removed) suggested a two hourly Manchester-Fishguard (197) with the other hour from Manchester MK4 and terminating in Cardiff and being replaced with a 197 doing Cardiff-Milford (so much like now but with 197s not 175s/Sprinters to Milford) But with much of that timetable being postponed they may well stick with the current service patterns from December and still run a service Manchester-Tenby. I suppose we wont know for sure until the December timetable is confirmed.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Looks like 150227 is taking over at Cardiff from.the 197 doing the 1630 Manchester to Swansea
 
Last edited:

Jacob Porrett

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2022
Messages
1,978
Location
Telford
197047 was on the Conwy Valley line today and 013 was on Llandudno/Llandudno Junction to Manchester Airport duties today. Saw them both in North Wales today whilst in the car going home.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
197047 was on the Conwy Valley line today and 013 was on Llandudno/Llandudno Junction to Manchester Airport duties today. Saw them both in North Wales today whilst in the car going home.
What’s the significance of that sorry? Both have been operational for a while.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

How far are we off of more 197/1s being accepted in addition to the current four, does anyone know? Would be nice to see 005 and 045/046 / 050/051 get accepted too.

I figure First Class and ERTMS units are yonks away.
 
Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,200
How far are we off of more 197/1s being accepted in addition to the current four, does anyone know? Would be nice to see 005 and 045/046 / 050/051 get accepted too.

I figure First Class and ERTMS units are yonks away.
There's 3 in the acceptance process (101, 105, 106) but seem to be taking an eternity at the moment, not really sure what the issues are to be honest.

As far as I know any First class units will be accepted when their time comes and they'll just run as a common pool of 3 cars at the start. ERTMS sets, I've no idea what the plan for those before the Cambrian goes over.
 

Bob Price

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2019
Messages
1,244
3Z98 just passed Crewe on its way to Landore. Due Cardiff at 1544 and Landore at 1631 - it's running late but may make up time.
 

Envoy

Established Member
Joined
29 Aug 2014
Messages
3,159
Why aren’t the 197’s cleared for passenger use west of Cardiff?
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Why aren’t the 197’s cleared for passenger use west of Cardiff?
Good question. Nobody seems to know rhe exact reason or can't post it publicly. It seems to be taking a lot longer than I thought. I expected a couple of 197s to Swansea at least from May/June time. At this rate it will be September. Very frustrating!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hopefully Cardiff to Swansea can be done before then
I hope so. If Ferryside is the issue then there is nothing stopping the two booked swanline workings that run through to Chester at the very least. There must be more to it.
 

Jacob Porrett

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2022
Messages
1,978
Location
Telford
What’s the significance of that sorry? Both have been operational for a while.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

How far are we off of more 197/1s being accepted in addition to the current four, does anyone know? Would be nice to see 005 and 045/046 / 050/051 get accepted too.

I figure First Class and ERTMS units are yonks away.
197050 only left Donnington RFT the other week so that won't be in service yet.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,200
Good question. Nobody seems to know rhe exact reason or can't post it publicly. It seems to be taking a lot longer than I thought. I expected a couple of 197s to Swansea at least from May/June time. At this rate it will be September. Very frustrating!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I hope so. If Ferryside is the issue then there is nothing stopping the two booked swanline workings that run through to Chester at the very least. There must be more to it.
Ferryside is the issue between Carmarthen and Swansea. I don't know what the hold up is between Cardiff and Swansea. All the testing and proving was done a while ago and the training trains have run up and down there for months.
As an educated guess it's something ASDO/PIS related like Crewe-Shrewsbury was but I could be wrong on that.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,336
Location
Swansea
Ferryside is the issue between Carmarthen and Swansea. I don't know what the hold up is between Cardiff and Swansea. All the testing and proving was done a while ago and the training trains have run up and down there for months.
As an educated guess it's something ASDO/PIS related like Crewe-Shrewsbury was but I could be wrong on that.
Would be interesting to know.

I am not aware of any platforms posing a problem to 3-car 175s when the Manchester train stops at the Swanlines. Clearly Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot Parkway and Bridgend are no problem. When the service switches to 3+2 I think there will be problems picking up Swanline stops.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,200
Would be interesting to know.

I am not aware of any platforms posing a problem to 3-car 175s when the Manchester train stops at the Swanlines. Clearly Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot Parkway and Bridgend are no problem. When the service switches to 3+2 I think there will be problems picking up Swanline stops.
Unlikely to ever find out in all honesty, even the people who been Involved on these things don't know for sure.

None of them will be a problem, it'll just use ASDO, both 4 and 6 cars proving trains have stopped everywhere on the mainline. 4 cars are the minimum being approved on all the mainline routes. Obviously that does enable 2 and 3 car running too but does mean that everything smaller has to wait until 4 cars are approved.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,200
197049 should work it’s first passenger service tomorrow from Holyhead to Llandudno Junction.
Think that may have been an allocation error as its still planned as the static/coupling training unit at Chester, its planned for that role next week too.
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
Think that may have been an allocation error as its still planned as the static/coupling training unit at Chester, its planned for that role next week too.
Although for what it's worth there hasn't actually been any coupling training in the North for the last 2 weeks owing to needing all the units in passenger service instead.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,200
Although for what it's worth there hasn't actually been any coupling training in the North for the last 2 weeks owing to needing all the units in passenger service instead.
That does make sense, as only the one unit seems to be on Static 'duties' this week which would make coupling training somewhat difficult! Seems to go back to 2 units again from Tuesday next week.
 
Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
That does make sense, as only the one unit seems to be on Static 'duties' this week which would make coupling training somewhat difficult! Seems to go back to 2 units again from Tuesday next week.
Fingers crossed - it's causing some challenges with a booked split at Piccadilly every evening requiring a coupling competent driver.
 
Joined
22 Jun 2013
Messages
610
Are TfW in postive trainset gain territory now 30+ 197s have been introduced? Seems like there are a lot of 153/150 workings still, considering quite a few diagrams are Mk 4s now as well. I appreciate that 175s have started going back to the Rosco but it still seems quite stretched.
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,998
Are TfW in postive trainset gain territory now 30+ 197s have been introduced? Seems like there are a lot of 153/150 workings still, considering quite a few diagrams are Mk 4s now as well. I appreciate that 175s have started going back to the Rosco but it still seems quite stretched.
I think the problem now is that not enough southern traincrew sign them?
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Are TfW in postive trainset gain territory now 30+ 197s have been introduced? Seems like there are a lot of 153/150 workings still, considering quite a few diagrams are Mk 4s now as well. I appreciate that 175s have started going back to the Rosco but it still seems quite stretched.
Definitely lots of 153 and 150 workings still. I was at Central for a while this evening and the 1855 to Manchester, 1655 from Carmathen both 150s. Then the 1530 from Manchester a pair of 153s which was swapped (unplanned I think due to the chaos on Platforms 3/4) for the same 150 that arrived on the 1655 ex Carmarthen! Things don't seem to be getting much better. No sign of any 175s!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

How many 197s do we have available for passenger service now and generally.how many each day are booked for service?
 
Last edited:

Delta558

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
94
Ferryside has got issues, as sd0733 mentioned earlier on. I think they're hoping during September.
Down side, ASDO is going to have to be offset forwards to avoid blocking the crossing with anything more than 5 carriages. Presumably it will have to be rechecked once the marker boards are in place.
 

Top