I wonder. I don't really know the area, but from a cursory look Hartwood seems to be in a fairly similar situation (few people living in walking distance, nothing nearby to attract users), but it has 1tph each way and around 100 times as many ticket sales as Breich. Is there more to it than that?Its a political decision rather than a practical one. You could give Breich 4 tph and its not going to increase the amount of passengers by that much.
Shotts prison? It's not that close to the railway line, and the few buses which go there go past Shotts station instead. That said, the prison service do actually recommend Addiewell here (and say nothing at all about buses), so there may be some people who use the station for that.Addiewell is the station for a major prison.
“The overwhelming response to the consultation was in favour of keeping Breich Station open. Not only that, many respondents wished to see more services calling at Breich Station to increase patronage."
Funnily enough it's Addiewell prison that is next to Addiewell station.Shotts prison? It's not that close to the railway line, and the few buses which go there go past Shotts station instead. That said, the prison service do actually recommend Addiewell here (and say nothing at all about buses), so there may be some people who use the station for that.
Whether there's anything like that vaguely near Breich, I don't know.
Shotts prison? It's not that close to the railway line, and the few buses which go there go past Shotts station instead. That said, the prison service do actually recommend Addiewell here (and say nothing at all about buses), so there may be some people who use the station for that.
Whether there's anything like that vaguely near Breich, I don't know.
close any line with less than average usage and you end up with one:I'm not trying to create an argument for closing rural lines or any line that's less than average in terms of usage - there's a network effect (easy access to rail) that will be lost if we go down that route - but some decisions like closing Breich should be really easy.
Indeed, if you give any station only one train per day, usage will be quite low, even Edinburgh Waverley.I’m aware as I live in West Lothian, I was just pointing out that if you give a relatively small area/village 1tpd each way, the usage will obviously be very low.
In the case of Breich it really is a basket-case station that takes more money to keep alive than it takes in revenue. You realise that the proposal is to spend c £2M on a station that serves a population of about 200 people and has fewer than three passengers use it per week. At the same time, Leven is disconnected from the railway...Sometimes this forum amazes me. It is a railway interest group isn't it? On this thread we have people lamenting that a station hasn't been closed...
Oh I don't know. I think, overall, averaged out, it's quite balanced. Plenty of extreme views on either end of the spectrum. You just have to plough through all the 'stuff' to come to a balanced opinion. There are plenty of speculative, blue-sky, fantasy ideas which need scorn pouring on them by the bucketful. What wears me down is the lack of perspective / consideration of others viewpoints by some members. My view is X, I am right, everyone else is wrong and if they have an opinion I shall shout and scream and call them names. Typical social media behaviour basically.Sometimes this forum amazes me. It is a railway interest group isn't it? On this thread we have people lamenting that a station hasn't been closed, on another we have multiple people pouring scorn on the idea that Skipton-Colne should be re-opened. With friends like this the railway doesn't need many enemies.
Rob
That applies to the entire rail network. Close it down and the government saves £billions per year.In the case of Breich it really is a basket-case station that takes more money to keep alive than it takes in revenue. You realise that the proposal is to spend c £2M on a station that has fewer than three passengers use it per week. At the same time, Leven is disconnected from the railway...
Nice, but I suspect you know full well that that analogy doesn't work since closing the network would cost the economy way more than the savings.That applies to the entire rail network. Close it down and the government saves £billions per year.
I'm not entirely convinced. Extrapolated benefits are dubious.Nice, but I suspect you know full well that that analogy doesn't work since closing the network would cost the economy way more than the savings.
Welcome to the real world.Neither can get to work anymore it's just that 3m votes mean more than 1.
Shotts prison? It's not that close to the railway line, and the few buses which go there go past Shotts station instead. That said, the prison service do actually recommend Addiewell here (and say nothing at all about buses), so there may be some people who use the station for that.
Single or return tickets?When I last alighted at Addiewell around 20 others did as well. I was the only one who was not visiting HMP Addiewell.
Open return surely ?Single or return tickets?
Point of Order: 450 population not 200 population.In the case of Breich it really is a basket-case station that takes more money to keep alive than it takes in revenue. You realise that the proposal is to spend c £2M on a station that serves a population of about 200 people and has fewer than three passengers use it per week. At the same time, Leven is disconnected from the railway...