Just an update on this:
I was told by the station staff at Euston and then the train manager in no uncertain terms that I would not be able to alight at Wigan. This was because the Euston - Wigan part of the journey was considered a peak service and therefore I would be charged for that journey if I attempted to get off, and I only had an off peak ticket to Carlisle.
Clearly, this is in contradiction to what NRE and I've been told on here.
It meant that I had to go back up to Carlisle and then rearrange to come down again the following day, at my own time/expense. What would people recommend I do? Would it be worth writing a polite letter explaining the circumstances?
Thanks,
Ian
There have been numerous reports of Virgin staff at Euston giving out incorrect information. This does not surprise me one bit. In fact, I'd be surprised if Virgin ever ensure that all their staff at Euston are knowledgeable.
Complain to the company.
You can also report a franchise breach to the DfT and a breach of consumer law to the ORR, but it may be worth seeing if Virgin will provide adequate compensation and assurances of re-training their staff before escalating the matter.
What a surprise, another railway failure. Are those fraudsters (agents of Virgin Trains) off to court? They've decieved the OP, they've extracted money unfairly. It's clearly a misrepresentation, and I suspect it's a misrepresentation made with an intention to cheat.
Sadly they are only breaching franchise agreements and consumer law. They are not breaching criminal law. It's not a level playing field; I wish it were! If it was, the staff at Euston (VT platforms) and Victoria (GTR platforms 13/14) would be frequently seeking assistance in our disputes section for prosecutions.
It will
never be a level playing field.
Never ascribe to malice that which is explained by incompetence.
I think you need to tell that to the train companies who often persecute their customers for all the wrong reasons. There is more than just "incompetence" at Euston. They have been caught red-handed mistreating customers on numerous occasions, most famously over their
refusal to accept a Travelcard in 2009. VT staff have shared concerns about the attitude and behaviour of staff at Euston over a period of many years.
Not knowing a rule is one thing, but refusing to look it up and making up lies and making threats, is taking things to a level that I'd expect to be sacked for in almost any responsible job in almost any other industry. If I behaved the way they do at work, I'd expect to be sacked.
This is not an isolated incident by any means.