.... Whether the
SVR also permits this is a matter for debate....
....(and is what we know to be intended).
If we know what is intended, and if what is intended is to the passenger's benefit, it isn't debatable, is it?
I can't recall seeing an ATOC brief on this subject, but those we have had within the TOC are very clear on the subject. The decision on whether the journey can be completed is the customer's alone, and they do not have to explain why the journey cannot be completed on day one....
As I haven't seen it, I can only take your word for that. That, unfortunately, means it is no more 'official' to me than it was before.
....As for definition, the word cannot may inidicate an inability to do something, but what you seem to be seeking is a reason that you agree with. It can equally be another reason, e.g. "I cannot travel on another train because I am not at the station", or "I cannot travel on another train because Aunt Bessie's hospiitality is too good to miss."....
Aunt Bessies hospitality is a choice not to continue, it is not an inability to do so, further, at some point you would have had to be at the station to be in a position to start (and break) the journey. Leaving the station is a person's choice, unless it closes overnight or there are no further services.
....You suggest that a journey should not be started if it cannot be completed, but what of the person who wishes to travel from London to Thurso? Should they not be permitted to travel to, say, Edinburgh on day one and then continue on day two?...
If a ticket is so restricted that a journey cannot be completed in one day then it stands to reason that use the next day would be okay, because it
cannot be completed that day, it is an inability to do so.
In addition, if a delay causes the last connection to be missed, it is then not possible to complete the journey that day and requesting the passenger buy a new ticket for the next day would be very unfair, particularly if the railway is at fault for the delay.
If, however, upon arrival in Edinburgh, there are two trains that can be used to complete the journey, it is possible to complete it, isn't it? That being the case, it would be a choice not to continue rather than an inability.
....Many much shorter journeys present such possibilities which by allowing this overnight stop (which is not necessarily seen as break of journey) allow an earlier arrival at the destination.
As I say, if it is not possible to complete the journey, then it cannot be completed, but can you honestly say it is not possible to complete a journey from Manchester to Liverpool, a journey of approx. 30 miles, if I depart Manchester at 0838 on a direct train?