Flamingo
Established Member
- Joined
- 26 Apr 2010
- Messages
- 6,806
I am a Train Guard.
I don't work Xmas Day or Boxing Day because my employer does not run passenger trains on those days. If my employer did want to start running trains on those days, it would be a significant change in contract for me and my colleagues, and would probably require a vote to approve that change.
All the bitching and moaning in the world by people who either would use a train if one was running, or those who just want to complain because somebody has something they don't will not change any of that.
If the situation ever arose that my employer proposed to my union that they wished to ammend the contract, I would personally vote against it, as I would see such an amendment forcing me to work Xmas as having a negative impact on my family life, and I make no apology for that. If my choice is between my family and some total stranger who (if this thread is an indication) will probably not even consider or appreciate what I was giving up to work that day to allow them to go shopping / football / visit mum, wellI will chose my family. Anybody who would chose otherwise may be a better person than me, but probably should not be a parent.
I don't work Xmas Day or Boxing Day because my employer does not run passenger trains on those days. If my employer did want to start running trains on those days, it would be a significant change in contract for me and my colleagues, and would probably require a vote to approve that change.
All the bitching and moaning in the world by people who either would use a train if one was running, or those who just want to complain because somebody has something they don't will not change any of that.
If the situation ever arose that my employer proposed to my union that they wished to ammend the contract, I would personally vote against it, as I would see such an amendment forcing me to work Xmas as having a negative impact on my family life, and I make no apology for that. If my choice is between my family and some total stranger who (if this thread is an indication) will probably not even consider or appreciate what I was giving up to work that day to allow them to go shopping / football / visit mum, wellI will chose my family. Anybody who would chose otherwise may be a better person than me, but probably should not be a parent.
