Always makes me laugh every year just before Xmas when the perpetual moaning about the numerous engineering projects begins . I know its hardly convenient for there to be no trains between Xmas and New year in some places , But unfortunately it will be far less convenient when there is a points failure during Rush hour on a Monday morning in February because engineering works have been neglected .
As for Christmas day and Boxing day . There is an agreement in place that I am not required to work either of these days . If they are rostered days of work I have to save annual leave days or loose pay for these days . Luckily this year I was only rostered X mas day so only needed one lieu day . Today and the next 4 days are all rest days meaning I dont have to return to work until New years eve(what some must think me enjoying my rest days ) . As far as I am concerned this is an agreement that I was party to when I joined the company . And if the company wishes to change this agreement then there will need to be another agreement to replace it . As I dont foresee myself wanting to agree to work on Christmas day or boxing day I wouldn't agree to any change in my T's & C's regarding X mas day and boxing day .
I have worked in jobs that have required me to be in on boxing day before but they where not safety critical so I could go in heavily hungover on the boxing day . Not something I would dream of doing in my current role .
I do appreciate that there are some industries where it is essential that people get to work on boxing day , Christmas day etc etc but they know a whole year in advance that they will have to get to work on those days with no rail and in some places no bus services .
As for Christmas day and Boxing day . There is an agreement in place that I am not required to work either of these days . If they are rostered days of work I have to save annual leave days or loose pay for these days . Luckily this year I was only rostered X mas day so only needed one lieu day . Today and the next 4 days are all rest days meaning I dont have to return to work until New years eve(what some must think me enjoying my rest days ) . As far as I am concerned this is an agreement that I was party to when I joined the company . And if the company wishes to change this agreement then there will need to be another agreement to replace it . As I dont foresee myself wanting to agree to work on Christmas day or boxing day I wouldn't agree to any change in my T's & C's regarding X mas day and boxing day .
I have worked in jobs that have required me to be in on boxing day before but they where not safety critical so I could go in heavily hungover on the boxing day . Not something I would dream of doing in my current role .
I do appreciate that there are some industries where it is essential that people get to work on boxing day , Christmas day etc etc but they know a whole year in advance that they will have to get to work on those days with no rail and in some places no bus services .