Bastillefallof
Member
- Joined
- 24 Dec 2016
- Messages
- 5
Merry Christmas everyone. Looking for advise on appealing against a penalty fare I've recently received taking a journey I take most days. The only difference today was that It was a little later in the morning.
So I get the train from Bedminster with no ticket machine, I get on the train where there is only standing room and no ticket inspector for the duration of the short journey. I leave the train at Filton Abbey Wood and go to get a ticket from the machine. The person getting the ticket in front of me was having an issue so I went to the booth and asked for a ticket from one of the staff.
On hearing the journey I wanted to pay for he decided I had ample time to seek out a ticket inspector on the train. I said there clearly wasn't one on there, there were two carriages on the service, what am I meant to do? He suggested I went and knocked on the cabin doors trying to find an inspector. I said that's unreasonable and no where does it suggest passengers do that?! His other argument was that the ticket inspectors aren't there everyday at that time so that means I may have not paid so you get a penalty fare irrespective of the conditions of your journey you've just just taken based on his assumptions.
So I've received the penalty fare which came in the post, stating it's the cost of the fare £3.80 then costs of £80.
Buying from the ticket inspector was my first opportunity as there was no one present on the train. Is this clear grounds to appeal?
So I get the train from Bedminster with no ticket machine, I get on the train where there is only standing room and no ticket inspector for the duration of the short journey. I leave the train at Filton Abbey Wood and go to get a ticket from the machine. The person getting the ticket in front of me was having an issue so I went to the booth and asked for a ticket from one of the staff.
On hearing the journey I wanted to pay for he decided I had ample time to seek out a ticket inspector on the train. I said there clearly wasn't one on there, there were two carriages on the service, what am I meant to do? He suggested I went and knocked on the cabin doors trying to find an inspector. I said that's unreasonable and no where does it suggest passengers do that?! His other argument was that the ticket inspectors aren't there everyday at that time so that means I may have not paid so you get a penalty fare irrespective of the conditions of your journey you've just just taken based on his assumptions.
So I've received the penalty fare which came in the post, stating it's the cost of the fare £3.80 then costs of £80.
Buying from the ticket inspector was my first opportunity as there was no one present on the train. Is this clear grounds to appeal?