Last week I was travelling from Biggleswade to Peterborough on a split save ticket. Biggleswade to St Neots then St Neots to Peterborough, I was travelling at around 11am.
A few minutes before the train I was loading up my Trainline app to buy my ticket, my phone froze and reset, in that time the train had arrived and I could either miss my train or board it and buy my ticket when my phone restarted.
I got on the train and within a minute of boarding I had bought my electronic ticket. The Train came at 11:00 and my email notification came at 11:02.
A few minutes after boarding and buying my ticket (albeit 1-2 mins late), a RPO approached asked for my ticket and pretty much immediately gave me a penalty notice.
Not sure if this is important but he issued me a penalty notice for the whole journey instead of just my first leg which I had a late ticket for, which was Biggleswade to St Neots.
I of course protested politely pointing out that my phone froze and I still bought a full ticket, just a few mins after the doors closed. He wasn’t haven’t any of it and keep deflecting to - such and such being an independent process, he has to do it and I can appeal. Blah blah blah.
I’ve never received one of these notices, in my mind I think that the train companies do not care about the customers so what is the point in appealing. I clearly bought my ticket a min or two late, I just have to believe in the companies good grace, which they don’t have.
I’m a frequent train traveller - spend about £500 a month on trains so this really annoys me that one small slip up results in such a big fine.
Also I find it strange that RPO’s get paid to do this but can’t use any judgement in the process. I had a full ticket, just bought 1-2 mins late.
Can anyone offer up some advice on -
1. Is it worth appealing this
2. I’ve recently moved to this area, are RPO’s frequently on this Sandy to Kings Cross line?
3. I’ve read people getting notices to prosecute - should I expect this?
Thanks
A few minutes before the train I was loading up my Trainline app to buy my ticket, my phone froze and reset, in that time the train had arrived and I could either miss my train or board it and buy my ticket when my phone restarted.
I got on the train and within a minute of boarding I had bought my electronic ticket. The Train came at 11:00 and my email notification came at 11:02.
A few minutes after boarding and buying my ticket (albeit 1-2 mins late), a RPO approached asked for my ticket and pretty much immediately gave me a penalty notice.
Not sure if this is important but he issued me a penalty notice for the whole journey instead of just my first leg which I had a late ticket for, which was Biggleswade to St Neots.
I of course protested politely pointing out that my phone froze and I still bought a full ticket, just a few mins after the doors closed. He wasn’t haven’t any of it and keep deflecting to - such and such being an independent process, he has to do it and I can appeal. Blah blah blah.
I’ve never received one of these notices, in my mind I think that the train companies do not care about the customers so what is the point in appealing. I clearly bought my ticket a min or two late, I just have to believe in the companies good grace, which they don’t have.
I’m a frequent train traveller - spend about £500 a month on trains so this really annoys me that one small slip up results in such a big fine.
Also I find it strange that RPO’s get paid to do this but can’t use any judgement in the process. I had a full ticket, just bought 1-2 mins late.
Can anyone offer up some advice on -
1. Is it worth appealing this
2. I’ve recently moved to this area, are RPO’s frequently on this Sandy to Kings Cross line?
3. I’ve read people getting notices to prosecute - should I expect this?
Thanks