• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blockade to allow Waterloo upgrade to take place, resulting in timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
The timetable for Epsom, published this month, shows Southern services running to Guildford. However, they are not currently running due to the overtime ban. Will this still be the case next month?
It is until further notice so I guess as they don't know, they just add them in as if they are running.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWT_USER

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
1,181
Location
Ashford Middx
Apologies if this has already been asked/ answered but does anybody know what is being built on Leake Street at the moment? Looks like steps leading down from the platform but not sure if it is an emergency exit or access to (what will be) the shopping centre?
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Apologies if this has already been asked/ answered but does anybody know what is being built on Leake Street at the moment? Looks like steps leading down from the platform but not sure if it is an emergency exit or access to (what will be) the shopping centre?

I think it is more likely to be a relocated emergency escape. There is a mention of moving the escape from at least P23/24, as the former route was too far along the original platform length.

As fas as I recall from the various planning applications work on the future shopping centre is not part of the current project.
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Apologies if this has already been asked/ answered but does anybody know what is being built on Leake Street at the moment? Looks like steps leading down from the platform but not sure if it is an emergency exit or access to (what will be) the shopping centre?

Looking at it I'd assume it's related to the Leake Street Arches works.

Planning submission (one of many)
https://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/onl...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OHG3ZSBOFMB00

Scheme summary
https://www.corstorphine-wright.com/projects/leake-street-arches/
 

Rick1984

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2012
Messages
1,147
I will be travelling to Portsmouth Harbour on the 14th of August. Is my best plan to take the service from London Victoria instead.

The thought of putting my life in the hands of Southern gives me the fear of God!
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
I will be travelling to Portsmouth Harbour on the 14th of August. Is my best plan to take the service from London Victoria instead.

The thought of putting my life in the hands of Southern gives me the fear of God!

Just sticking Waterloo to Portsmouth into SWTs booking page gives direct trains at half hour intervals, hopefully their booking engine has had all the blockade changes added
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
I notice that trains from Exeter to Waterloo on 29th Sept have an exclamation mark on NRE warning of possible service disruption, yet when I check the date for planned engineering work, nothing comes up. Anyone know if there's anything planned for then ?
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
I notice that trains from Exeter to Waterloo on 29th Sept have an exclamation mark on NRE warning of possible service disruption, yet when I check the date for planned engineering work, nothing comes up. Anyone know if there's anything planned for then ?

Can't see anything on RTT that would indicate any engineering works on that date. Are there any really big events happening in either London or Exeter on that day?
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
According to National Rail Enquiries via the app, there will be a queue system in place and the potential queuing time will be 20 minutes.

Above that disruption notice is another notice saying the queuing time at Waterloo will be 30 minutes. The same at Vauxhall and Wimbledon; 45 minutes at Clapham Junction and 20 minutes at Surbtion.

Either someone mistyped the figure 2 instead of 3 of they are not sure how long the queuing time will be.

The issue comes down to will people heed their existing advice and go on holiday then or work from home? If lots don't travel then queues won't occur quite as much. I'm sure 8 to 8.30 will still be the pinch point as they say.

Now will the 45 minutes of queues at Clapham Junction affect every operator? If I look up Horsham to Clapham Junction, it just states the train will be busy, not that people will potentially have to queue for 45 minutes at Clapham Junction. Perhaps they will have away if just having 45 minute queues that don't affect other operators. Not sure how though, given it will affect multiple South West Trains platforms.

Image of below of the full disruption notices as appears in the National Rail Enquiries App when doing a search for train times on the South West Trains network during the disruption.
3c5e9ac8e6662c8cd86f81554edadde7.jpg
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Can't see anything on RTT that would indicate any engineering works on that date. Are there any really big events happening in either London or Exeter on that day?

Ah cheers for looking.

I assume it's railway related as there's no warning showing for the Paddington services.
 

hwl

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
8,290
According to National Rail Enquiries via the app, there will be a queue system in place and the potential queuing time will be 20 minutes.

Above that disruption notice is another notice saying the queuing time at Waterloo will be 30 minutes. The same at Vauxhall and Wimbledon; 45 minutes at Clapham Junction and 20 minutes at Surbtion.

Either someone mistyped the figure 2 instead of 3 of they are not sure how long the queuing time will be.

The issue comes down to will people heed their existing advice and go on holiday then or work from home? If lots don't travel then queues won't occur quite as much. I'm sure 8 to 8.30 will still be the pinch point as they say.

Now will the 45 minutes of queues at Clapham Junction affect every operator? If I look up Horsham to Clapham Junction, it just states the train will be busy, not that people will potentially have to queue for 45 minutes at Clapham Junction. Perhaps they will have away if just having 45 minute queues that don't affect other operators. Not sure how though, given it will affect multiple South West Trains platforms.

Image of below of the full disruption notices as appears in the National Rail Enquiries App when doing a search for train times on the South West Trains network during the disruption.

All southern trains will pass P12 at Clapham Jn between 1600 and 2000 due to the expected queues at P11 for SWT stopping services.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Could it be a contingency in case the engineering blockade doesn't goto plan?

There is engineering work on the West of England line on some earlier weekends during September, it could just as easily be contingency for that, or just something yet to be confirmed as has been the case recently.

It is easy to assume everything is about Waterloo, but work goes on somewhere on the Wessex network on almost every weekend of the year irrespective of the Waterloo blockade.
 

Rick1984

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2012
Messages
1,147
That's the bit that's putting me off Waterloo.
Not the fear of not getting my train bit the suggestion of 30 min. ques and I'm sure I saw something about que lines.

Will just need to check how smoothly Southern are running on that day and make my decision
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
All southern trains will pass P12 at Clapham Jn between 1600 and 2000 due to the expected queues at P11 for SWT stopping services.
I think they need to put a note to that effect on the online departure boards at Clapham Junction.

I doubt many Southern passengers would be aware.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
That's the bit that's putting me off Waterloo.
Not the fear of not getting my train bit the suggestion of 30 min. ques and I'm sure I saw something about que lines.

Will just need to check how smoothly Southern are running on that day and make my decision
Where is your end destination? One option is to start from another station but if you need to change platform islands on roite at all, by doing this, then you might end up in a queue anyway.
 

Hophead

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
1,400
I think they need to put a note to that effect on the online departure boards at Clapham Junction.

I doubt many Southern passengers would be aware.

First I've heard of it.

Although, now I've followed the link on Southern's website, the reduced service at Platform 12 between 16:00 & 20:00 is described:

There will be a reduced number of services calling at Clapham Junction towards London Victoria between 16:00 and 20:00 on Mondays to Fridays as certain services will not call at Clapham Junction to prevent overcrowding at the station. In general, only Mainline services (those that normally run non-stop between East Croydon and Clapham Junction) will be affected and Metro services will call as normal

There is also a dead link to TfL.
 
Last edited:

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
First I've heard of it.

Although, now I've followed the link on Southern's website, the reduced service at Platform 12 between 16:00 & 20:00 is described:

There will be a reduced number of services calling at Clapham Junction towards London Victoria between 16:00 and 20:00 on Mondays to Fridays as certain services will not call at Clapham Junction to prevent overcrowding at the station. In general, only Mainline services (those that normally run non-stop between East Croydon and Clapham Junction) will be affected and Metro services will call as normal

There is also a dead link to TfL.
A dead link on Southern? Perhaps the link went on strike! Lame joke, I'll get me coat....
 

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
1,643
Location
West london
I received a leaflet about the Waterloo works it seems as though not on every day trains will be running via East Putney because I was planning to video some between there and Wimbledon could somebody please confirm?
 

59CosG95

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2013
Messages
6,866
Location
Beeston (Notts)
I received a leaflet about the Waterloo works it seems as though not on every day trains will be running via East Putney because I was planning to video some between there and Wimbledon could somebody please confirm?

I can tell you that, if you're foolhard enough to be up at that time, this train is booked to run via East Putney without fail... http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W36911/2017/07/24/advanced

As for diversions, I haven't the foggiest. Just wanted let you & others know of WTT routing over the District Line.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469

Olaf

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2014
Messages
1,054
Location
UK
I will be travelling to Portsmouth Harbour on the 14th of August. Is my best plan to take the service from London Victoria instead.

The thought of putting my life in the hands of Southern gives me the fear of God!

Depending on where you live, you might want to look into booking flights via France to Southampton Airport.
 

Dstock7080

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2010
Messages
3,536
Location
West London
I received a leaflet about the Waterloo works it seems as though not on every day trains will be running via East Putney because I was planning to video some between there and Wimbledon could somebody please confirm?

"To maximise the number of trains in operation some South West Trains passenger services (10 or 12 cars) will be scheduled to operate non-stop over the District Line between Wimbledon and East Putney during peak periods on Mondays to Fridays, 7th to 25th August. During morning peak periods, South West Trains will operate 4 trains per hour towards London via the District Line route. During evening peak periods, South West Trains will operate 2 trains per hour from London via the District Line route."
 
Last edited:

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
1,643
Location
West london
"To maximise the number of trains in operation some South West Trains passenger services (10 or 12 cars) will be scheduled to operate non-stop over the District Line between Wimbledon and East Putney during peak periods on Mondays to Fridays, 7th to 25th August. During morning peak periods, South West Trains will operate 4 trains per hour towards London via the District Line route. During evening peak periods, South West Trains will operate 2 trains per hour from London via the District Line route."

Won't that disrupt the District line service?
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
"To maximise the number of trains in operation some South West Trains passenger services (10 or 12 cars) will be scheduled to operate non-stop over the District Line between Wimbledon and East Putney during peak periods on Mondays to Fridays, 7th to 25th August. During morning peak periods, South West Trains will operate 4 trains per hour towards London via the District Line route. During evening peak periods, South West Trains will operate 2 trains per hour from London via the District Line route."

How much difference is there in the power drawn by either 3x450 or 2x444 and what an District Line S stock set would draw? Will the power supply need strengthening in that area?
 

Malcolmffc

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2017
Messages
310
How much difference is there in the power drawn by either 3x450 or 2x444 and what an District Line S stock set would draw? Will the power supply need strengthening in that area?

Presumably not given that 444s and 450s run over the route every day!
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I can tell you that, if you're foolhard enough to be up at that time, this train is booked to run via East Putney without fail... http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W36911/2017/07/24/advanced

As for diversions, I haven't the foggiest. Just wanted let you & others know of WTT routing over the District Line.

The number of additional trains over the District over the course of the whole day can be seen to be quite small on RTT, it is only about 12 trains spread over the whole day in addition to the normal, so was never going to massively impact the District. 34 up from the normal 22.

I already had this discussion with MatthewRead way back in post #44 this thread.
 
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
How much difference is there in the power drawn by either 3x450 or 2x444 and what an District Line S stock set would draw? Will the power supply need strengthening in that area?

Not at all likely. There have been previous weekend engineering works when far more SWT services have run on that route than will run during the forthcoming blockade. There are differential speed limits for mainline units, and the restrictions in the SA limit power draw already.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top