• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham - Sandwell & Dudley - Wolverhampton this evening (Thurs 28th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
LM are probably the only TOC that signs the shunt at Sandwell and Dudley.

Would that stop them from using other TOC's stock with their own driver? I'm thinking of XC's 170s.

Presumably there is only one train doing the shuttle as the journey is 12 minutes.

They have two 2-car 170s doing it.

I agree, where do you get extra drivers from when LM already have a shortage in train crew.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I suppose it depends on what they can drive. There are 323s doing nothing while this work is going on so presumably fewer drivers working, but if the 323 drivers can't drive anything else, there's not much they can do.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A 2 car class 170 was not enough to convey passengers, as much as I love the turbostars, at least a 3/2+2 was required, I hopped on/and later off, at Galton Bridge, there were no free seats, but many passengers with heavy/loads of luggage. For a railway line that sees 10TPH, the majority of trains relatively busy, I agree, this is quite poor
Was this Thursday evening, or since?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2010
Messages
1,965
Location
Eastbourne
Would that stop them from using other TOC's stock with their own driver? I'm thinking of XC's 170s.

Other TOCs stock is needed though, you can't pluck coaches out of thin air.

I suppose it depends on what they can drive. There are 323s doing nothing while this work is going on so presumably fewer drivers working, but if the 323 drivers can't drive anything else, there's not much they can do.

It's not that drivers only can drive 323s, is that the OHLE is off at Sandwell and Dudley, so only 170s can be used by LM. They already have a driver shortage and don't have spare drivers, lack of route knowledge or not signing the stock.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
I feel like I'll be going round in circles if I contribute to this thread any further.
 

Old Hill Bank

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
971
Location
Kidderminster
I feel like I'll be going round in circles if I contribute to this thread any further.

I made the point earlier in this thread that LM should have reserved 3-car 170s for this job, they also can have only the paths they are given with all of the conflicting moves at Soho during the diversions, so that may be the best that can be achieved.

The turn back at S & D will probably be a ten minute plus timing and the turnaround at New Street is based on the paths allocated , Rolfe Street is restricted to 4 x 20m or 3 x 23m stock.

So how would other operators rolling stock help?
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
In that if LM only had 2-car 170s available, they could have loaned other TOCs' stock.
 

Old Hill Bank

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
971
Location
Kidderminster
In that if LM only had 2-car 170s available, they could have loaned other TOCs' stock.

Whilst fearing that we all could go round in circles here, lets examine the possible stock options here having agreed that we need DMU stock that LM New Street drivers are signed up for With a maximum train length of 80 metres:

LM 170/6 seemingly committed to other duties
XC 170(three car) all running XC services
LM 172 New Street Crews do not sign these, neither are they route cleared
XC 220 Committed fully over Easter due to engineering diversions and extended journey times around Wolverhampton

Do you have any ideas?
 

172212

Member
Joined
28 May 2012
Messages
307
Location
On a local stopping service near you
Would that stop them from using other TOC's stock with their own driver? I'm thinking of XC's 170s.



They have two 2-car 170s doing it.



I suppose it depends on what they can drive. There are 323s doing nothing while this work is going on so presumably fewer drivers working, but if the 323 drivers can't drive anything else, there's not much they can do.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Was this Thursday evening, or since?

Since Thursday evening, from my observations
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Would a 153 not be available, to attach to a 170/5, I'm guessing they're less likely to be on Shrewsbury/Rugeley/Hereford duties
 
Last edited:

ushawk

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2010
Messages
1,965
Location
Eastbourne
Predicting absolute carnage ahead of Monday's bitter clash away to Birmingham City...

Why the Football League chose Easter Monday of all days for the Wolves vs Birmingham game is beyond me, this work has been planned for a long time.

Of course its the Railways fault though, despite the work being planned over a year in advance.
 

Whistler40145

Established Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
6,149
Location
Lancashire
What's happening to Pendolino maintenance during the Wolverhampton blockade?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 

8stewartt

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2013
Messages
82
so a driver can sign the route from new street all the way to wolverhampton, travelling at linespeed, but when they all do their route knowledge they dont teach how them how to proceed forward at 10 mph, stop, change ends, then traverse a trailing crossover and, obeying the indication given by a SHUNT signal, seems daft that its not in the route knowledge. sounds like carnage, some things are excellent planned, but somethings are just overlooked!
 
Joined
9 Apr 2012
Messages
177
Why the Football League chose Easter Monday of all days for the Wolves vs Birmingham game is beyond me, this work has been planned for a long time.

Of course its the Railways fault though, despite the work being planned over a year in advance.

You'd honestly think they do it on purpose the amount of times stuff like this happens.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top