I was shocked to see the following today:
Birminingham International to Nottingham
Standard Anytime Return = £24
First Anytime Return = £100
In other words, first class costs over four times standard class. Are there worse examples out there?
There is a peak 1st fare for Potters Bar to London but most peak services that call there are 6-coach 313s (std class only!)
Not quite - there's also the £125 First class off-peak return from Edinburgh - Preston that's valid via Glasgow and allows break of journey on both outward and return legs so can be used as a Glasgow - Preston off-peak return.after 0930 mon-fri and all day at weekends
day return from glasgow to preston
29.40 2nd class ( day return )
233 1st class open return ( that is all that there is ! )
I was shocked to see the following today:
Birminingham International to Nottingham
Standard Anytime Return = £24
First Anytime Return = £100
In other words, first class costs over four times standard class. Are there worse examples out there?
First Class was only introduced back to the ex Central trains Birmingham -Stansted service afer Cross Country took over. They fitted the 170's with first class seating and now charge totally outrageous fares to use it. Still, as services through Nuneaton are usually full and standing perhaps people will hand over an arm and leg just to get a seat.
I wonder if this exercise of fitting first class to the 170's has made a profit for Cross Country?
Calv
I think they've done it to give traincrew and managers somewhere nice to sit!![]()
First Class was only introduced back to the ex Central trains Birmingham -Stansted service afer Cross Country took over. They fitted the 170's with first class seating and now charge totally outrageous fares to use it. Still, as services through Nuneaton are usually full and standing perhaps people will hand over an arm and leg just to get a seat.
I wonder if this exercise of fitting first class to the 170's has made a profit for Cross Country?
Calv
There is a peak 1st fare for Potters Bar to London but most peak services that call there are 6-coach 313s (std class only!)

That's not a fair fare comparison. If the first doesn't exist on the one route, compare the standard price of the same route as the available first class ticket because there's a huge difference in the possible route miles of the two routes you compared too.Glasgow to Leeds via Appleby is £45.60 Anytime Return.
If you want a First Class ticket for that route, the only one available is the Anytime Return route Any Permitted at £294.
That's a 6.45:1 ratio.
Any First Class accommodation is provided between Glasgow and Carlisle only.
John
I don't have the fares in front of me, but I pointed out a fare error (I hope it is) on the Stansted route. A First Class Anytime return from the airport to Peteborough via Not London is over six times the price. It's even more expensive than the anytime first if you go via London
The daft part with that one is the any permitted fares aren't valid via Doncaster, therefore making the not Doncaster fare effectively any permitted and the any permitted pointless.
It IS fair, because that is all that the passenger is offered in terms of prices !That's not a fair fare comparison.
Well, yes, but unless they ask for the split, they won't be told about it under impartiality rules (unless there's an exception that I don't know about?) so that is the comparison they'll be offered.But why would someone pay for first class to spend a large part of the trip in standard?
And I, for one, am quite happy to squeeze those businesses until the pips squeak, to keep my standard class fares down.