• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best and worst jobs on the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
And, if your job has 321's on it, you can almost guarantee it's Tring, which is just a pointless place to terminate. How does a poxy little town in rural Hertfordshire need three an hour to London??.


That's not really why Tring is the terminus though, is it?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
PASS
Romford - Upminster
Upmister - Romford
Romford - Upminster
Upmister - Romford
Romford - Upminster
Upmister - Romford
Romford - Upminster
Upmister - Romford
Romford - Upminster
Upmister - Romford
Romford - Upminster
Upmister - Romford
Romford - Ilford EMUD

Haha :P I bet that and the Stourbridge Shuttle are up there with the worst of them.
 

ryan125hst

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
1,327
Location
Retford
Haha :P I bet that and the Stourbridge Shuttle are up there with the worst of them.

But the Stourbridge Shuttle is worked by a separate company subcontracted by London Midland, so the drivers only drive the Class 139 (although the drivers and guards do both roles and swap throughout the day). I didn't know about this until I saw a thread with a link to a page about it. The crew must get bored through, surely? It's the shortest branch line in Europe! :lol:
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,656
Location
Isle of Man
How does a poxy little town in rural Hertfordshire need three an hour to London??

Pfft, Tring itself is really pretty. Just a shame the station is two miles from Tring, eh.

Berkhamsted and Hemel definitely need 3-4 trains an hour, and our stoppers at Apsley need to turn round somewhere!

The Dusty Bins really are awful inside these days, though. They've not been touched since Silverlink, and they did sod all. LM haven't even updated the tube map.
 
Last edited:

trainplan1

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
115
Pfft, Tring itself is really pretty. Just a shame the station is two miles from Tring, eh.

Berkhamsted and Hemel definitely need 3-4 trains an hour, and our stoppers at Apsley need to turn round somewhere!

Indeed, the only reason is because Tring has the space to do so. Saying that though people do seem to appear out of nowhere to the station. Same can't be said for Cheddington...
Can't speak for Kings Langley/Apsley but my local 2 Hemel and Berkhamsted definitely do need 3/4 per hour.

The Dusty Bins really are awful inside these days, though. They've not been touched since Silverlink, and they did sod all. LM haven't even updated the tube map.

Unlike some people in the office I do my upmost to avoid them. I'll gladly wait for the next train if I'm in no rush!
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,656
Location
Isle of Man
My morning train, the 0813 from Apsley, is a 321. I'd rather catch it than the full 0758 because it's pretty much empty when it gets to us, as it doesn't stop at Berkhamsted or Hemel. I try and avoid the 321s on the way home though.
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Pfft, Tring itself is really pretty. Just a shame the station is two miles from Tring, eh.

Berkhamsted and Hemel definitely need 3-4 trains an hour, and our stoppers at Apsley need to turn round somewhere!

The Dusty Bins really are awful inside these days, though. They've not been touched since Silverlink, and they did sod all. LM haven't even updated the tube map.

Yes I've done that walk before and the services seem well matched to demand, why shouldn't trains terminate at Tring where obviously the track layout is suitable?
 

plastictaffy

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2012
Messages
1,104
Location
Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.
My morning train, the 0813 from Apsley, is a 321. I'd rather catch it than the full 0758 because it's pretty much empty when it gets to us, as it doesn't stop at Berkhamsted or Hemel. I try and avoid the 321s on the way home though.

That one is first stop Apsley from Tring - 0804 I think. I was marked to that job last week, but swapped out of it last minute, as I cannot stand working 321's.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes I've done that walk before and the services seem well matched to demand, why shouldn't trains terminate at Tring where obviously the track layout is suitable?

Or why not take the Tring's out and run the same stopping pattern to MKC??

Just have one or two trains in the morning that start and finish at Tring International.
 
Last edited:

plastictaffy

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2012
Messages
1,104
Location
Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.
Pfft, Tring itself is really pretty. Just a shame the station is two miles from Tring, eh.

Berkhamsted and Hemel definitely need 3-4 trains an hour, and our stoppers at Apsley need to turn round somewhere!

The Dusty Bins really are awful inside these days, though. They've not been touched since Silverlink, and they did sod all. LM haven't even updated the tube map.

From what I understand, they were supposed to go to GA, so LM didn't bother updating them as they weren't sure which ones would and which ones wouldn't go. However, the destination indicators were updated with GA destinations. LM have said that they'll be keeping the Dusties til the end of the franchise in 2017 now. However, what's the point of wasting money refreshing them when GA will only do the same when they get hold of the horrid things.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If we didnt have the bad jobs we wouldnt appreciate the good jobs! :lol:

True that!!!!:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Indeed, the only reason is because Tring has the space to do so. Saying that though people do seem to appear out of nowhere to the station. Same can't be said for Cheddington...

Shortly arriving Cheddington, mind the Tumbleweed blowing along the platform.
Cheddington next stop.
 

aylesbury2

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2014
Messages
120
That one is first stop Apsley from Tring - 0804 I think. I was marked to that job last week, but swapped out of it last minute, as I cannot stand working 321's.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Or why not take the Tring's out and run the same stopping pattern to MKC??

Just have one or two trains in the morning that start and finish at Tring International.

I understand that those who use Tring frequently are very lucky having a nice frequent train service! Sorry plastictaffy!

Still, 0.767 million used Tring last year, which isn't too poky for a small station that really is in the middle of nowhere, with absolutely no regular public transport connections - the only bus connection (the 500 between Aylesbury and Watford) requires a mile-long walk down Beggars Lane, although it's quite obvious that Tring is used mostly by those commuting by car (such as myself) from surrounding villages - most people I know who live in Tring use Chiltern from Aylesbury and don't even know of the existence of a station in Tring - it's poorly signposted from Tring centre and it is >3km out, and the station isn't technically in Tring, it's actually in the small village/hamlet of Aldbury! Although to be able to get into Euston, which has far better bus and tube connections than Marylebone, and a journey that can be done (at peak times) in 35-40 minutes, with nice, pretty new 350s with far quicker services and cheaper parking and fares than Aylesbury, makes it a no brainer for those like me who live close to a few stations, Aylesbury, Haddenham & Thame Parkway (an easy connection to Aylesbury via the 'Sapphire' 280 which is about the same combined as travelling from Aylesbury), Tring or Amersham (Tube).
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,200
We have a couple of nice jobs.
On sundays we have:
Book on: 07:04
Taxi to northampton
09:00 northampton-crewe 11:38
Finish

Book on 20:26
20:44 crewe-rugby
Pass back on 23:00ish virgin back to crewe
Finish

Also a horrible job (altho looking at other peoples its not that bad in comparison!)
Book on 12:19-22:19
12:37 crewe-northampton
15:02 northampton-crewe
17:37 crewe-rugby
Pnb
20:25 rugby-crewe.

In the week we have
(Good)
Book on 06:34-11:34
06:52 crewe-milton keynes
09:19 milton keynes-crewe
Finish

Book on 02:57 (not all like this one!)
Taxi to rugby
05:16 rugby-northampton
Pnb
06:35 northampton-crewe

(Bad)
Book on 11:01-20:53
11:17 crewe-new street
12:36 new street-liverpool
14:34 liverpool-birmingham
17:36 birmingham-crewe
19:04 crewe-liverpool
20:04 liverpool-crewe
And
Book on 14:16-00:01
14:32 crewe-liverpool
15:34 liverpool-birmingham
Pnb
18:36 birmingham-liverpool
20:34 liverpool-birmingham
22:38 birmingham-crewe all stations
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
Shortly arriving Cheddington, mind the Tumbleweed blowing along the platform.
Cheddington next stop.

That is completely unfair. I once saw 7 people get on one train at Cheddington! ;)

How does the Marston Vale Line rank on the boredom scale. The 153 doesnt seem a popular vehicle!
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,656
Location
Isle of Man
That one is first stop Apsley from Tring - 0804 I think. I was marked to that job last week, but swapped out of it last minute, as I cannot stand working 321's.

:lol:

Or why not take the Tring's out and run the same stopping pattern to MKC??

Just have one or two trains in the morning that start and finish at Tring International.

Starting at Tring must save a unit or five, that's the only thing I can think of, though I'm not sure how many people would use the stopper if they're going to Leighton Buzzard or further north. It'd be convenient when heading north to have them go to Milton Keynes.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,910
Location
East Anglia
(Bad)
Book on 11:01-20:53
11:17 crewe-new street
12:36 new street-liverpool
14:34 liverpool-birmingham
17:36 birmingham-crewe
19:04 crewe-liverpool
20:04 liverpool-crewe

I would actually like that one. We have several similar such as...

11.43-20.42, 12.27-20.53 & 13.13-20.55. I think anything done by 21.00 is good for lates.

Do you ever get cut-out of the 19.04?
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,200
I would actually like that one. We have several similar such as...

11.43-20.42, 12.27-20.53 & 13.13-20.55. I think anything done by 21.00 is good for lates.

Do you ever get cut-out of the 19.04?

That's the one redeeming factor of that job, the reasonably sociable finish. Its unpopular as you get 5 hours to start on the same unit with no break and it usually seems to be one with no toilets on that job but compared to a suburban work depot I think we are spolt a bit!
Very rarely get out of any late turns, I can't actually remember the last time we had a spare to take anyone off.
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
Greater Anglia have a weird one that involves working 1K97 2240 Norwich to Cambridge, sleeping on the train at Cambridge then working 2K56 0605 Cambridge to Norwich the next morning. This arose from the breakup of Central trains, as 2K56 used to be worked by them, but neither XC or EMT serve the whole CBG-NRW route so AGA (then NXEA) had to pick up the slack. I bet the crew hope the 170 on this service is never subbed for a 153 or 156! :P

Adam :D
 

Hyphen

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
504
Location
Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
Sleeping on the train? Unlikely. PNB more like. Those sorts of diagrams are not uncommon.

ATW have a similar diagram...

Book on 22.55-06.40
Staff shuttle bus to Canton depot
Prep unit and take it to Cardiff Central (5B01)
2B01 00.30 Cardiff to Hereford arriving 01.55
PNB
2Y07 05.26 Hereford to Cardiff arriving 06.40

Sadly for the staff though, it's booked a 150! Can't imagine that being much cop to sleep on! (I think ATW does have a driver mess at Hereford though)
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
ATW have a similar diagram...

Book on 22.55-06.40
Staff shuttle bus to Canton depot
Prep unit and take it to Cardiff Central (5B01)
2B01 00.30 Cardiff to Hereford arriving 01.55
PNB
2Y07 05.26 Hereford to Cardiff arriving 06.40

Sadly for the staff though, it's booked a 150! Can't imagine that being much cop to sleep on! (I think ATW does have a driver mess at Hereford though)
A conductor used to take a sleeping bag on this job. No ATW Depot at Hereford and I doubt a mess room as this is about the only job with a break there. All trains have through crews.
 

plastictaffy

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2012
Messages
1,104
Location
Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.
A conductor used to take a sleeping bag on this job. No ATW Depot at Hereford and I doubt a mess room as this is about the only job with a break there. All trains have through crews.

If there's a booked PNB there, then there WILL be somewhere with a Messroom, assuming that the ASLEF and RMT reps are doing their jobs correctly. Every company has places that are recognised PNB points. For the route I sign, that would be Euston, Watford, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Rugby (in debate at the moment) and Coventry.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Very rarely get out of any late turns, I can't actually remember the last time we had a spare to take anyone off.

That's because you're based at Crewe. Defect down south, come and work proper (by proper, I mean 12 cars) trains!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How does the Marston Vale Line rank on the boredom scale. The 153 doesnt seem a popular vehicle!

Three trips on there yesterday.<( Anything that goes to Bedford is a crap job. Should have done four trips, to be fair, but managed to pull a three-way fiddle. Of the two options, 150 or 153, I'd rather work the 153. I'd rather go to the dentist than do anything on the 150.
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
A conductor used to take a sleeping bag on this job. No ATW Depot at Hereford and I doubt a mess room as this is about the only job with a break there. All trains have through crews.

If there's a booked PNB there, then there WILL be somewhere with a Messroom, assuming that the ASLEF and RMT reps are doing their jobs correctly. Every company has places that are recognised PNB points. For the route I sign, that would be Euston, Watford, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Rugby (in debate at the moment) and Coventry.

DBS have a booking on point and messroom at Hereford that ATW staff have access to if needed. It's part of our conditions like plastictaffy says, anywhere where there is a booked PNB, which officially happens at Hereford on that Cardiff turn and on one Crewe guards turn on a Saturday, there has to be faciliities away from the train.
 

Hyphen

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
504
Location
Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
A conductor used to take a sleeping bag on this job. No ATW Depot at Hereford and I doubt a mess room as this is about the only job with a break there. All trains have through crews.

An ATW driver has confirmed to me that ATW have agreed mess facilities at:

Aberystwyth, Barmouth, Bath Spa,
Birmingham New St, Bridgend, Bristol Temple Meads,
Cardiff Canton Depot, Cardiff St David's House, Cardiff Central,
Cardiff Queen St, Carmarthen, Chester,
Crewe, Crewe Carriage Shed, Gloucester
Hereford, Holyhead, Llandrindod Wells,
Llandudno Junction, Llanelli, London Marylebone,
Machynlleth, Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Oxford Rd,
Manchester Airport, Birmingham International, Manchester Longsight Depot,
Newport, Pantyffynon, Pontypridd,
Pwllheli, Rhymney, Shrewsbury,
Swansea, Treherbert, Westbury,
Wrexham and Wolverhampton.

All locations as a minimum provide seating, heat and light, hot drink provision, toilets, washing facilities and food heating.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top