Anon Mouse
Established Member
- Joined
- 20 Mar 2011
- Messages
- 1,274
There's also a pub (La'Ratty or something similar) at Ravenglass
Why not expand this thread with Hotels and Accommodation with a view
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Rogger - Talk about great minds, your post exactly same time about same location, that is very spooky !
The South Western Arms in St Denys is right next to the station, has a large beer garden adjacent to platform 4 and serves quite an extensive range of real ales.
Alas, the foliage means that you can just about see the tops of the trains that go by. :cry:
as are the Dolphin and the Junction - I used to commute from St Denys and manys the time I was mysteriously "delayed" on the way home![]()
The Hazel Pear in Acton Bridge
I'm not sure if those pubs are even still open. I know the Dolphin was closed for a while, but maybe it's re-opened now. It's been a while since I've been over St Denys way.
Y'know, one of these days I'm going to get a train to Acton Bridge instead of Hartford. I've still never actually been there, despite having been driven past the station countless times.![]()
Urmston (Liverpool - Manchester via Warrington) has a "beer garden" or fenced off seating area actually on the Liverpool bound platform - however the frequency and variety of rolling stock on offer makes you want to sit inside.
I see some one mentioned the "Black Lion" at Consall on the Churnet Valley Hertige Line. Well worth a vist at weekends in the summeras its on their passing loop which is signalled so you get trains passingthere, but good luck finding it as its at the end of a private road and then what could only be called a ballasted farm track. Take a 1" OS map. You have been warned. However is a great pub with good food and also the Caldron canal next to the railway. Must also be the only pup you have to cross the tracks to gain acess as there is no road acess everything comes in over the canal and foot crossing on the railway.
I know this one quite well, and it's not too difficult to find- Simply park your car at Froghall Wharf and enjoy the walk down the canal towpath!![]()
At a pinch -- and I accept it's not perfect -- the Continental in Preston has a very close view of the WCML![]()

There Is a pub in tuxford that has a beer garden facing the ECML
...all the workers sat out on the platform enjoying a post-work drink or two. Have to say I thought at the time it isn't something you'd see everywhere (plus the beer may get a rather pleasant(!) taste of unburnt diesel in it too :P)
Dukes 92, Castlefield,Manchester....
Quality pub...or is it a Bar.....? never quite sure....
Canalside vast outside seating..
views of viaducts carrying Metrolink trams,Picadilly traffic and frieghtliners from Trafford Park..
also visited last week Cloud 23.....the bar in the Beetham Tower/Hilton Hotel.......fantastic.....makes Manchester railways/tram look like N gauge!
Originally Posted by Cletus
Has it got a beer garden you watch trains from?
If so, it can be added to the "Beer gardens to watch trains from" thread!
street view suggests it may have http://goo.gl/maps/wriKg
Double Locks or The Turf near ExeterNot right next to the line, but both have good unobstructed views
Double Locks is about a 40 min walk from the city centre along the Canal Paths. Turf is only accessible on foot or by boat (there is a car park about half a mile away)