randyrippley
Established Member
- Joined
- 21 Feb 2016
- Messages
- 5,382
The conclusion in the 1970s was that gas turbine wasn't suitable for rail, due to the fuel consumption on idle being nearly as much as on full power. Trains have intermittent bursts of full power when accelerating but most of the time are at a lower power level. There was some fleet service of Turbotrains, notably in France, but once the oil crisis hit in 1974 it was always unlikely any more would be built.
From what I can tell a fuel cell has a related problem, that isn't good at changing power output quickly. So (unless the gas turbine has improved drastically). either would need to be "hybridised" with a bank of batteries or supercapacitors so that the prime mover could run moreorless constantly, storing the energy when not immediately needed to give a boost during acceleration.
That's exactly why I mentioned batteries / capacitors being used. To be efficient the turbine has to run at constant speed and you would need an energy storage system to do this.
As for fuel cells, as far as railways go I'll believe it when I see it. I don't believe anything exists on the scale required