• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barking Riverside Extension (London Overground) Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijmad

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2016
Messages
1,857
Location
UK
Is it my imagination or is TfL having a lot of quality control issues with their signage these days?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James H

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2014
Messages
1,546
Yes the attention to detail and consistency isn't as good as it used to be.
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
Barking Riverside does have a river pier so maybe that is what the interchange blob is for?
It’s an out of station interchange which doesn’t get an interchange symbol on the station line diagrams (and the symbol isn’t even shown there anyway).

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Is it my imagination or is TfL having a lot of quality control issues with their signage these days?
Apparently the issues are caused by them getting rid of their dedicated signage team (I bet they thought they weren’t really needed because new lines hardly ever open).
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
New tube map is up showing the extension open
Thanks for that, I have just been looking for a really updated map like that.:D:D

There are quite a few new UndergrounD and Main line lines that I should like to do, EG; Paddington to Abbey Wood, Northern Line Battersea Power Station and around the new Platforms Tunnels at Bank and now the Goblin Extention to Barking Riverside. I assume that they must have done alot of rebuilds at Barking Station as I presume the original Goblin services went into a bay or terminus platform there? I was surprised to hear that this has just open, I did not know that it was even under construction, although I knew it was proposed. The last time I did that line from Gospel Oak, they had new-ish, 2 carriage Diesel units.
 

NLC1072

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
650
Location
Ireland/London
Thanks for that, I have just been looking for a really updated map like that.:D:D

There are quite a few new UndergrounD and Main line lines that I should like to do, EG; Paddington to Abbey Wood, Northern Line Battersea Power Station and around the new Platforms Tunnels at Bank and now the Goblin Extention to Barking Riverside. I assume that they must have done alot of rebuilds at Barking Station as I presume the original Goblin services went into a bay or terminus platform there? I was surprised to hear that this has just open, I did not know that it was even under construction, although I knew it was proposed. The last time I did that line from Gospel Oak, they had new-ish, 2 carriage Diesel units.
There is no alterations at Barking, the extension just uses existing lines via the C2C line flyover to platforms 7 and 8 instead. There are new lines just past the junction however on the Dagenham/Rainham branch.
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,919
Indeed. The trains head a short way down the Grays branch with c2c trains before taking the new flyover to the new station. Effectively the bay platform is now unneeded, though I would imagine will be used in times of disruption, when the riverside extension is closed for unplanned/maintenance or for a few first or last train of the day scenarios.
 

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Joined
23 Apr 2022
Messages
1,090
Location
London
The "Trains to Gospel Oak" sign amused me. I think "Trains" would have been better.

As of 11am Tuesday, the line is still shut because of a faulty train at Wanstead Park!
 

ijmad

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2016
Messages
1,857
Location
UK
Indeed. The trains head a short way down the Grays branch with c2c trains before taking the new flyover to the new station. Effectively the bay platform is now unneeded, though I would imagine will be used in times of disruption, when the riverside extension is closed for unplanned/maintenance or for a few first or last train of the day scenarios.

Terminating the GOBLIN at Barking may still be very necessary at times of c2c or freight disruption (it's a moderately busy area!). I guess it's always good to have a conflict free 'bail out' option when merging with other services where things can go wrong. Like tipping out an Overground train and running into the sidings from P1 at New Cross Gate.
 

zero

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
1,607
Effectively the bay platform is now unneeded, though I would imagine will be used in times of disruption, when the riverside extension is closed for unplanned/maintenance or for a few first or last train of the day scenarios.

... like yesterday from approx 1345-1430, after when most of the rest of the day's service was cancelled.

The whole goblin has also been cancelled today from around 6am although some ECS seem to be running now (1430)

Unfortunately I didn't make the first train on Monday as I needed to wake up at 0215 for the night buses and only got up at 0240. I will try again on Friday when hopefully any problems will have been fixed.
 

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2017
Messages
1,738
Unfortunately I didn't make the first train on Monday as I needed to wake up at 0215 for the night buses and only got up at 0240.
You were lucky! I caught a late running train to Barking Riverside, had a very leisurely stroll around the area in dry but intense heat and then made my way back to the station. There were numerous members of staff doing seemingly nothing and certainly none made any attempt to inform passengers that the service was now suspended.

So, we passengers waited on the platforms with the Public Information screens (PIS) advising us that the next train would leave at such and such time, and three minutes before that time came an announcement that the train had been cancelled. No explanation and no warning that other trains would be cancelled. So, we all waited for the next train with, again, the PIS telling us that the train would be leaving at a certain time. Again, three minutes before that time came an announcement that the train had been cancelled and again there was no warning that the entire service had been suspended. On the third occasion we passengers concluded we were being messed about and we left the station and made our way to a bus stop. My bus took me to Barking Station where there were announcements every five minutes that the Goblin service was not running!
 
Last edited:

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Joined
23 Apr 2022
Messages
1,090
Location
London
I'm starting to think Geoff Marshall and Jago Hazzard must have been stuck there in Barking Riverside for two days! No video from either of them yet!
 

NLC1072

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
650
Location
Ireland/London
I've been on three trains out of Barking Riverside and every single one has been held for a freight to pass, I'm typing this now as I also sit on a train 2J42 at ripple lane sidings...also awaiting a freight train to pass...
 

JN114

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2005
Messages
3,530
I'm starting to think Geoff Marshall and Jago Hazzard must have been stuck there in Barking Riverside for two days! No video from either of them yet!

Perhaps as responsible, large audience creators they were setting a good example and heeding the “do not travel” advice
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,296
I'm starting to think Geoff Marshall and Jago Hazzard must have been stuck there in Barking Riverside for two days! No video from either of them yet!
Geoff Marshall definitely posted (maybe a tweet?) somewhere he wouldn’t do one while there was advice not to travel.
 
Last edited:

Roger B

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2018
Messages
1,276
Location
Gatley
Many thanks pdeaves - I'd not been aware of this resource previously - really useful.

The up and down halves of the junction are quite well separated by distance, but the down junction is grade separated and conflict free, so does that perhaps mean trains don’t need to be timed there?

The route taken by up trains is more conflicting, as far as the sectional appendix shows it there seems to be a flat crossing of the eastbound entry route into the Ripple Lane sidings.

If you want the detailed layout and distances they’re in the Anglia online sectional appendix, you need to refer to routes EA1390 and EA1395. Links to sectional appendices are on the Network Rail page here:
And many thanks swt-passenger for this. It looks as though I'm not eligible to register, but the pdfs are very informative.

With these two sources I should be able to tidy-up a few mileage anomalies.

Thanks again both
 

ijmad

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2016
Messages
1,857
Location
UK
I've been on three trains out of Barking Riverside and every single one has been held for a freight to pass, I'm typing this now as I also sit on a train 2J42 at ripple lane sidings...also awaiting a freight train to pass...

Doesn't seem to be too much of a knock-on of delays for the rest of the GOBLIN so far today
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,272
I imagine Barking Riverside was full of vloggers this morning :D
 

NLC1072

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
650
Location
Ireland/London
Passing through I saw a lot of people taking photos and videos this morning, me included! However I was also using the train for other reasons
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,919
Terminating the GOBLIN at Barking may still be very necessary at times of c2c or freight disruption (it's a moderately busy area!). I guess it's always good to have a conflict free 'bail out' option when merging with other services where things can go wrong. Like tipping out an Overground train and running into the sidings from P1 at New Cross Gate.
Oh 100%. But you know what the railway is like for removing things like this!
 

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
Looks very strange seeing Wanstead Park now north of the Great Eastern main line. Perhaps it migrated because transferring passengers were walking east-west rather than north-south?

In fact, the new map shows Wanstead Park as being on the south side of the main line - which certainly is misleading ... since it's actually to the north.
 

MP393

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2021
Messages
660
Location
North West
Does anybody have the exact mileage/chains from Barking - Barking Riverside please? It won’t load up the distance on Railmiles. Thanks!
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,296
Does anybody have the exact mileage/chains from Barking - Barking Riverside please? It won’t load up the distance on Railmiles. Thanks!
Post #163 has the distances from the two junctions. Barking station is at 7m 42ch. I also found all the info you’d need has been included in the current public online sectional appendix, please see the link in post #166.
 

MP393

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2021
Messages
660
Location
North West
Post #163 has the distances from the two junctions. Barking station is at 7m 42ch. I also found all the info you’d need has been included in the current public online sectional appendix, please see the link in post #166.

Yes sorry, was posted in a bit of a rush. We’ve found the sectional appendix now. Thank you!!
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,691
Location
Hope Valley
Have any Muggles been frustrated that only Wizards can access the new line at Barking?
[Harry Potter reference. Picture shows “London Overground” sign directing passengers to a blank wall.]
 

Attachments

  • FA5779BD-2EA5-4177-90B2-5C5E2489FF8D.jpeg
    FA5779BD-2EA5-4177-90B2-5C5E2489FF8D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 174
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top