• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Reservations - How do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,753
Location
Glasgow
Hi, in the context of a London Euston to Glasgow Central Avanti Pendolino service:

Say I reserve a seat from Lancaster to Glasgow, but someone has reserved that same seat from London Euston to Wigan.
Will the Reservation display update at Wigan (where the person gets off) to say "Reserved from Lancaster" ?

Otherwise what's to stop someone from just sitting in it after Wigan assuming its free yet I have reserved it for later on in the journey. I don't want to run into a situation where the display doesn't update and I'm left without that seat.

Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RAPC

Member
Joined
30 May 2010
Messages
350
Even in the situation where the reservation system doesn’t load, it is usually a lot quieter north of Preston anyway.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,629
Location
Northampton
Does that apply to Unrefurbished Pendolino's aswell as the newly refurbed ones?
Pre-refurb the system certainly had this ability, although I thought they showed 'Reserved from Lancaster' rather than 'available until Lancaster' but that's a minor detail.
 

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2013
Messages
1,510
Location
Llandudno
Pre-refurb the system certainly had this ability, although I thought they showed 'Reserved from Lancaster' rather than 'available until Lancaster' but that's a minor detail.
100% correct that was my error, apologies.
 

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,753
Location
Glasgow
How far in advance can you reserve a seat AND for it to be downloaded and put on the screen?

My reservation for a different train today failed to appear on the screen. Though it was done 45 minutes before departure time.
All other reservations in the carriage were loaded and on screen. Mine just showed "Available"

Thanks!
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
You should get a counted place rather than a reservation once the train has left its origin. The refurbs are fitted with seat occupancy cameras but I don't believe they are in use yet.
 

glasgowniteowl

On Moderation
Joined
25 Jan 2019
Messages
477
Location
Glasgow
How far in advance can you reserve a seat AND for it to be downloaded and put on the screen?

My reservation for a different train today failed to appear on the screen. Though it was done 45 minutes before departure time.
All other reservations in the carriage were loaded and on screen. Mine just showed "Available"

Thanks!

Was that 45 minutes before departure from the initial station of that service or from the one you were boarding at if that differs
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,284
You should get a counted place rather than a reservation once the train has left its origin. The refurbs are fitted with seat occupancy cameras but I don't believe they are in use yet.
Several times when I've sold tickets for immediate travel for journeys which involve Avanti trains, Journey Planner has happily offered a seat reservation despite the Avanti train already being on the move. Personally I always refuse to offer the seat reservation, knowing that there could potentially be someone already occupying that seat.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Several times when I've sold tickets for immediate travel for journeys which involve Avanti trains, Journey Planner has happily offered a seat reservation despite the Avanti train already being on the move. Personally I always refuse to offer the seat reservation, knowing that there could potentially be someone already occupying that seat.

I wonder if that is another side effect of the stupid compulsory reservation flag thing?
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,629
Location
Northampton
45 mins before it left Glasgow Central and I also boarded there.
it may simply be that the database didn't refresh in time before the service was prepped for departure. It will depend on the retailer, on train and background systems as to what the minimum cut off is, and how late you might be able to leave it and still get them come through.
 

josh-j

Member
Joined
14 Sep 2013
Messages
325
You should get a counted place rather than a reservation once the train has left its origin. The refurbs are fitted with seat occupancy cameras but I don't believe they are in use yet.
Seat occupancy cameras? Is that to prevent a reservation on a seat someone is already sitting in? (Something I really think is awful with short term reservations)
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,629
Location
Northampton
The inbound arrived about 15 minutes after I reserved the seat.
So a 30 minute turnround, the database query and download presumably would be started c.20 mins prior to departure, leaving 25 minutes for your order to get synchronised to the reservations database which could easily be missed if the background systems are not set to continuously update but rather take snapshots e.g. every hour.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Seat occupancy cameras? Is that to prevent a reservation on a seat someone is already sitting in? (Something I really think is awful with short term reservations)
More to release reservations that have not been taken up, I think. Although how it works if you needed to spend a long time in the loo or queuing at the buffet I don't know.
 

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,753
Location
Glasgow
More to release reservations that have not been taken up, I think. Although how it works if you needed to spend a long time in the loo or queuing at the buffet I don't know.
When I need the loo I actually just leave my belongings on the seat and say to someone nearby to look after them. Would require some trust in your fellow passengers though to makesure your stuff won't be stolen!

Also shows the seat is taken.
 
Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,301
Location
East Midlands
When I need the loo I actually just leave my belongings on the seat and say to someone nearby to look after them. Would require some trust in your fellow passengers though to makesure your stuff won't be stolen!

Also shows the seat is taken.
I leave my rucksack behind, which has nothing of significant value in it (papers, food, painkillers, plasters, cheap wired headphones, etc.). I take my phone and wallet with me. If anyone steals my "junk" I don't really care too much.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top