• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Heavily Discounted First Class Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banham7

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2020
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
As I’m sure many are aware, Avanti West Coast a few weeks back released some ‘error fares’ from Stafford to Scotland, where a first class ticket was priced at £7.30 with a railcard and £11.10 without a railcard for dates throughout September.

There have been rumours going around regarding that crews have been issued a brief ‘not to accept’ these tickets. I am just wondering what the actual case would be regarding this given these tickets are very much valid 1st Class Advances with a seat reservation and if anyone knows of the brief given to crews about these tickets issued?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex365Dash

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2019
Messages
725
Location
Sussex
There have been rumours going around regarding that crews have been issued a brief ‘not to accept’ these tickets. I am just wondering what the actual case would be regarding this given these tickets are very much valid 1st Class Advances with a seat reservation and if anyone knows of the brief given to crews about these tickets issued?
If you've been sold a First Class ticket with an itinerary for a service which is scheduled to have First Class and does have First Class, you are entitled to take that service and sit in First Class.
I imagine someone will be able to come along and confirm whether such a brief has actually been issued.
 

Banham7

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2020
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
If you've been sold a First Class ticket with an itinerary for a service which is scheduled to have First Class and does have First Class, you are entitled to take that service and sit in First Class.
I imagine someone will be able to come along and confirm whether such a brief has actually been issued.
I am hoping that will be the case. These tickets were sold on all TOC and retailing websites for about a 24 hour period until they noticed there was an error, All of them will have a journey itinerary and seat reservation on AWC services. Hopefully someone can confirm regarding any information given to crews regarding them.
 

T-Karmel

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2010
Messages
399
Location
London
I don't see how they could not accept a perfectly valid ticket. They'd need to cancel the ticket, notify customer and refund the money for the ticket to become invalid.
I think the reason they'd need to give is just there - sold as a result of an error. But until they cancel the ticket, they can't just not accept it.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,724
Location
Burgess Hill
I don't see how they could not accept a perfectly valid ticket. They'd need to cancel the ticket, notify customer and refund the money for the ticket to become invalid.
I think the reason they'd need to give is just there - sold as a result of an error. But until they cancel the ticket, they can't just not accept it.
This is only really feasible if you buy it as an e-ticket. TOD and collecting ASAP is the best way to go for any "probably an error" tickets. It's basically impossible to cancel a printed ticket once it's in your hand.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,547
Location
Yorkshire
As I’m sure many are aware, Avanti West Coast a few weeks back released some ‘error fares’ from Stafford to Scotland, where a first class ticket was priced at £7.30 with a railcard and £11.10 without a railcard for dates throughout September.

There have been rumours going around regarding that crews have been issued a brief ‘not to accept’ these tickets. I am just wondering what the actual case would be regarding this given these tickets are very much valid 1st Class Advances with a seat reservation and if anyone knows of the brief given to crews about these tickets issued?
They are valid tickets and must be honoured; I will contact Avanti via Twitter and see what their response is and update this thread once I hear back from them.

I am sure this will be a false rumour!
 

T-Karmel

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2010
Messages
399
Location
London
This is only really feasible if you buy it as an e-ticket. TOD and collecting ASAP is the best way to go for any "probably an error" tickets. It's basically impossible to cancel a printed ticket once it's in your hand.
Very well, did not think of that. So yeah, certainly how could they not accept it. What will they do, issue new ticket or treat a customer with prosecution?

Why would they even bother with challenging that. This kind of company would just take it on a chin and live with it. How many tickets like this they even sold, they're not gonna suffer it financially.

Even airlines often accept error fares, despite for them being easy to cancel the tickets.
 

Banham7

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2020
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
Very well, did not think of that. So yeah, certainly how could they not accept it. What will they do, issue new ticket or treat a customer with prosecution?

Why would they even bother with challenging that. This kind of company would just take it on a chin and live with it. How many tickets like this they even sold, they're not gonna suffer it financially.

Even airlines often accept error fares, despite for them being easy to cancel the tickets.
Unsure how many tickets they will have actually sold, however it was between Stafford-Edinburgh/Haymarket/Glasgow/Motherwell on all dates throughout September with tickets being sold on 10th August and tickets correctly priced from around 11am on 11th August.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

They are valid tickets and must be honoured; I will contact Avanti via Twitter and see what their response is and update this thread once I hear back from them.

I am sure this will be a false rumour!
Most appreciated, hopefully we’ll hear back from them soon with a positive outcome. Worst comes to the worse, I’m suspecting it’ll probably be a downgrade to Standard Class if that’s even possible, however we’ll await their official reply.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
As I’m sure many are aware, Avanti West Coast a few weeks back released some ‘error fares’ from Stafford to Scotland, where a first class ticket was priced at £7.30 with a railcard and £11.10 without a railcard for dates throughout September.

There have been rumours going around regarding that crews have been issued a brief ‘not to accept’ these tickets. I am just wondering what the actual case would be regarding this given these tickets are very much valid 1st Class Advances with a seat reservation and if anyone knows of the brief given to crews about these tickets issued?
I imagine Avanti would be opening themselves up to a legal case for refusing to follow the NRCOT and their contractual obligations if they did this!

Train operators are not permitted to just choose “not to accept” valid tickets for any reason they like. They are able to cancel tickets and offer a full refund on uncollected TOD transactions as well as E-tickets, but they must offer a full refund for this.

For TOD transactions which have been collected, there’s very little they can do to stop passengers using them. Individual staff members can report the ticket irregularity, but they have no choice but to accept them as valid for the journey being made, as I understand it.
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,448
If you've been sold a First Class ticket with an itinerary for a service which is scheduled to have First Class and does have First Class, you are entitled to take that service and sit in First Class.
I imagine someone will be able to come along and confirm whether such a brief has actually been issued.
Absolutely re your first para.... and could sue the ass off Avanti if that proves not to be the case

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I imagine Avanti would be opening themselves up to a legal case for refusing to follow the NRCOT and their contractual obligations if they did this!

Train operators are not permitted to just choose “not to accept” valid tickets for any reason they like. They are able to cancel tickets and offer a full refund on uncollected TOD transactions as well as E-tickets, but they must offer a full refund for this.

For TOD transactions which have been collected, there’s very little they can do to stop passengers using them. Individual staff members can report the ticket irregularity, but they have no choice but to accept them as valid for the journey being made, as I understand it.
Absolutely.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
They can cancel a contract on some new agreement with the other partiy, in line with the original terms, which don't give them any obvious ways to back out, or in line with a relevant statutory provision such as frustration, which is incredibly unlikely to be relevant.

What you can't do is cancel a contract just because you regret entering into it in the first place, by definition. They'd have to negotiate their way out of it.
 

Banham7

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2020
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
I imagine Avanti would be opening themselves up to a legal case for refusing to follow the NRCOT and their contractual obligations if they did this!

Train operators are not permitted to just choose “not to accept” valid tickets for any reason they like. They are able to cancel tickets and offer a full refund on uncollected TOD transactions as well as E-tickets, but they must offer a full refund for this.

For TOD transactions which have been collected, there’s very little they can do to stop passengers using them. Individual staff members can report the ticket irregularity, but they have no choice but to accept them as valid for the journey being made, as I understand it.
I did have a quick read of the NRCOT and I couldn’t find anything that would spay that it would not be valid. I’ve already collected my TOD ticket so it would be very difficult for it to cancel it indeed. I was fully expecting some sort of email from them a day later saying they would have to cancel it but to my surprise that never came.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,547
Location
Yorkshire
There is no provision for cancelling it and Avanti won't be the retailer in many cases anyway.

I don't know where this rumour came from, but unless it came directly from someone you trust, I'd dismiss it as made-up.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,157
ISTR someone posting on here that they'd made a journey using one of these tickets without issue.

As it happens I will be using a couple of these tickets this week. I will update the forum if I have any hassle!
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
As I’m sure many are aware, Avanti West Coast a few weeks back released some ‘error fares’ from Stafford to Scotland, where a first class ticket was priced at £7.30 with a railcard and £11.10 without a railcard for dates throughout September.

There have been rumours going around regarding that crews have been issued a brief ‘not to accept’ these tickets. I am just wondering what the actual case would be regarding this given these tickets are very much valid 1st Class Advances with a seat reservation and if anyone knows of the brief given to crews about these tickets issued?
I’m travelling on this on Thursday! Certainly not willing to take hassle over using a valid ticket.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I imagine Avanti would be opening themselves up to a legal case for refusing to follow the NRCOT and their contractual obligations if they did this!

Train operators are not permitted to just choose “not to accept” valid tickets for any reason they like. They are able to cancel tickets and offer a full refund on uncollected TOD transactions as well as E-tickets, but they must offer a full refund for this.

For TOD transactions which have been collected, there’s very little they can do to stop passengers using them. Individual staff members can report the ticket irregularity, but they have no choice but to accept them as valid for the journey being made, as I understand it.
Exactly. If anything, I’m hoping I will be given trouble, as I’ll enjoy seeking vast amounts of compensation in the form of free travel vouchers via a seething email if I am.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,371
I used these tickets on Tuesday. TM didn't Nat an eyelid in either direction.
 

ServerHoster

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2019
Messages
242
Location
North West
I also used these tickets on Monday + Tuesday last week, staff were fine with it, I have a few more journeys coming up so I will report how they go.
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,569
Location
Hampshire
How is it that apparently a rather large number of people seem to have got hold of tickets that were only on sale from one starting point for one day? Is it that split-ticket sites were instantly picking up the low cost and incorporated these tickets into longer itineraries?
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,724
Location
Burgess Hill
They were on sale for far more than just one day, but didn't become more widely known about for a couple of days.

TrainSplit/FastJP would identify the cheap ticket and issue it with various other tickets to provide a rather large discount, even with the rest of the itinerary being standard class.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,847
TrainSplit/FastJP would identify the cheap ticket and issue it with various other tickets to provide a rather large discount, even with the rest of the itinerary being standard class.
Possibly Trainline's splitsave as well.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,547
Location
Yorkshire
How is it that apparently a rather large number of people seem to have got hold of tickets that were only on sale from one starting point for one day?
I think it lasted about a week maybe; the irony is that when Avanti put the price up, most retailers updated their system overnight but Avanti's own supplier was delayed for a day, meaning there was a day when you could only get them on the Avanti site!
Is it that split-ticket sites were instantly picking up the low cost and incorporated these tickets into longer itineraries?
I am certainly aware of people who made longer distance journeys who had these fares included; that's a bonus of using the forum's ticketing site in that if intermediate fares are found to be cheaper than the through fare, you'll be offered it. As we do not charge a booking fee, the worst that will happen is it will be the same price as Avanti charge for the full journey. If a saving is made, the vast majority is passed on to the customer.

Otherwise people would only have come across it if specifically searching for a journey for the affected flows.
 

Furrball

Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
601
Did my journey today - no issues ( well was 23 min delayed S/B so could make it even cheaper!!!!)

Seems there is a work to rule with Avanti TM at the moment as in neither direction was the ticket scanned and on the return journey the TM specifically said that that are not scanning tickets at the moment. He just asked to also see the seat reservation in the app
 

WAB

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2015
Messages
1,304
Location
Anglia
Seems there is a work to rule with Avanti TM at the moment as in neither direction was the ticket scanned and on the return journey the TM specifically said that that are not scanning tickets at the moment. He just asked to also see the seat reservation in the app
What's the background to this particular dispute?
 

ServerHoster

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2019
Messages
242
Location
North West
Did my journey today - no issues ( well was 23 min delayed S/B so could make it even cheaper!!!!)

Seems there is a work to rule with Avanti TM at the moment as in neither direction was the ticket scanned and on the return journey the TM specifically said that that are not scanning tickets at the moment. He just asked to also see the seat reservation in the app
Great to hear, on my last journey I had a heart attack for a few seconds because the TM got out his phone to scan my ticket - he must have been a manager or something. But he didn't say anything and continued checking other tickets. (I'm hoping it's not one of those things where they get your details from scanning your ticket).

What's the background to this particular dispute?
I saw somewhere on this forum ages ago that the reason why Avanti TMs are not scanning tickets is because they are not paid extra for scanning tickets, whereas Northern guards are paid 2p per scan (that is why they are so eager to scan, one even scanned my bus ticket once), so Avanti TMs want to be paid to scan too.
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
Great to hear, on my last journey I had a heart attack for a few seconds because the TM got out his phone to scan my ticket - he must have been a manager or something. But he didn't say anything and continued checking other tickets. (I'm hoping it's not one of those things where they get your details from scanning your ticket).


I saw somewhere on this forum ages ago that the reason why Avanti TMs are not scanning tickets is because they are not paid extra for scanning tickets, whereas Northern guards are paid 2p per scan (that is why they are so eager to scan, one even scanned my bus ticket once), so Avanti TMs want to be paid to scan too.
Did/do Avanti TM get commission on sales? I thought part of the argument was that guards were losing out on commission with more online purchases.
Incidentally, are paid for every scan i.e. are they paid for scanning railcards too? And if it is a Two Together should they scan it twice-once for each ticket?
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
Incidentally, are paid for every scan i.e. are they paid for scanning railcards too? And if it is a Two Together should they scan it twice-once for each ticket?
Northern guards can't scan Railcards so obviously aren't paid for doing so.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
How come?
To be fair I should have said "never used to be able to scan Railcards" as it might have changed since I last knew.

If you scanned the code nothing happened, it wasn't part of the spec to read them apparently.
 

OscarH

Established Member
Joined
15 Sep 2020
Messages
1,294
Location
Crawley
To be fair I should have said "never used to be able to scan Railcards" as it might have changed since I last knew.

If you scanned the code nothing happened, it wasn't part of the spec to read them apparently.
Which app do Northern guards use, do you know?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top