• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Article: 'In pictures: every single HST livery, ever'

Status
Not open for further replies.

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
I liked the original executive livery, but thought they ruined it with the lighter tan lower body sides for locos/power cars
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimShady

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2016
Messages
1,740
They would have looked good in 'ScotRail' blue stripe livery.
 

whhistle

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
2,636
...as well as the next MML operator since the DfT has mandated a name change for a "permanent" brand, so likely won't be happy with keeping the Stagecoach colour scheme...
Although if Stagecoach continue, they may want to keep the colour scheme to show it's still Stagecoach.
If Arriva or Abellio, they may not want to bother repainting and we'll just have Stagecoach colours with operator logo until the HSTs are scrapped moved on.
 

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,581
The four power cars with the claret stripe should count. That was when Chris Green introduced it as the InterCity house colour. It featured on uniforms, nameplate backgrounds and Summer timetables (Winter ones were dark blue). The plan was to replace the red stripe with a claret one but it didn't work well with the other colours and looked very dull. It re-emerged in a form as the first Gatwick Express livery albeit as a thinner band and a wider white band above.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,574
Location
Macclesfield
Unless I've missed it, I don't think that the "war paint" cab wrap that was applied to 43028 during 1997 has been mentioned (Not my photo):
https://mark-beal-tmd.smugmug.com/RetrospectiveRail/Retrospective-Class-43-HST/i-QcsfD8Q

It was proposed, as the text describes, as a separate livery for the Euston - North Wales West Coast services, but was not proceeded with. I think a full trainset would have looked very striking in such a livery, but I think it would have dated a lot faster than the standard Virgin scheme.

Which has also jogged my memory regarding cab treatments, as when eight power cars were converted to surrogate DVTs, they were all given full yellow ends, so 43014 and 43123 carried a variation of Intercity Executive livery with full yellow ends which I don't think has been mentioned:
http://www.traintesting.com/images/43014 ally pally 8-88 Peter Watson.jpg
 
Last edited:

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,867
Unless I've missed it, I don't think that the "war paint" cab wrap that was applied to 43028 during 1997 has been mentioned (Not my photo):
https://mark-beal-tmd.smugmug.com/RetrospectiveRail/Retrospective-Class-43-HST/i-QcsfD8Q

It was proposed, as the text describes, as a separate livery for the Euston - North Wales West Coast services, but was not proceeded with. I think a full trainset would have looked very striking in such a livery, but I think it would have dated a lot faster than the standard Virgin scheme.
Was it a proposed scheme or was it just an unofficial depot repaint? The haste with which it was painted back suggests it was not authorised and that management took a dim view of it.
 

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2014
Messages
3,216
I mentioned that livery earlier, referring to it as Swallow / Irish. As for was it an unofficial depot repaint, does anything unofficial ever happen with a Virgin brand? They control their image tightly.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,867
I mentioned that livery earlier, referring to it as Swallow / Irish. As for was it an unofficial depot repaint, does anything unofficial ever happen with a Virgin brand? They control their image tightly.
On the flip side, given that it was applied in mid-1997, when the Virgin livery had only just started being applied, it stretches credibility that any deviation from the new brand would have been authorised.
 

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2014
Messages
3,216
It was probably linked to some long forgotten promotional campaign. I doubt it was a proposed livery. If it was it would have been applied to a Virgin livery set and I don't think for a second Virgin would have considered painting whole sets in Irish livery. It doesn't seem to have been that short-lived though. As far as I can tell it lasted from at least July - October.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,574
Location
Macclesfield
I mentioned that livery earlier, referring to it as Swallow / Irish. As for was it an unofficial depot repaint, does anything unofficial ever happen with a Virgin brand? They control their image tightly.
Ah apologies, I managed to miss that. Sorry!
Was it a proposed scheme or was it just an unofficial depot repaint? The haste with which it was painted back suggests it was not authorised and that management took a dim view of it.
I have wondered that myself, and whether the "alternate West Coast scheme" theory is just a myth that's been perpetuated.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,867
I have wondered that myself, and whether the "alternate West Coast scheme" theory is just a myth that's been perpetuated.
I suspect myth, as the earliest reference to this "alternate West Coast scheme" I can find is by Colin Marsden - never known as a paragon of accuracy - in his "HST Silver Jubilee" book. A book which, incidentally, is riddled (and I do mean riddled) with errors and inaccuracies. Too many people then believe what he writes and then it then becomes "fact".

The facts do not support this version of events - as the Virgin rail brand had not long been launched. Added to that it was only the cab that was done (InterCity branding was still there) and the numbering is decidedly amateurish.
 

whhistle

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
2,636
I mentioned that livery earlier, referring to it as Swallow / Irish. As for was it an unofficial depot repaint, does anything unofficial ever happen with a Virgin brand? They control their image tightly.
Although that's because that is exactly what Virign is: a Brand.

You don't see Stagecoach getting into planes (no, SW Airlines isn't Stagecoach!), internet, TV, radio, banking, gyms, spaceships, balloons, bars, water machines, medical supplies or Cola flavoured drinks :p

Although it's worth saying while the brand name is the same, the businesses are all run seperately and actually have very little to do with each other, which is a shame in a way. But thats the way Richard makes his money to spend on space travel. He reminds me of Tony Stark!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top