But the Wales & Borders franchise is not Welsh property, any more than GWR is "English".
It was a misnomer when called Arriva Trains Wales.
What do you think the good folk of Chester, Shrewsbury and Hereford think of dragons and shades of green?
The Marches counties do not figure anywhere in the branding.
The Welsh Government will lead on the next Wales and Borders franchising round.
I didn't mention colours, dragons or anything else, but I should imagine they're as bothered about it as the people of Hexham, Carlisle and Newcastle are about ScotRail units turning up on services.
You know what I suggested, given you quoted it, but to repeat, and to clarify, the Welsh Government, who are leading the re-franchising of the Wales and Borders franchise, should commission a logo, brand and livery, and have it applied to stock undergoing re-painting.
I care not one jot if it's green, has dragons or any other mythological creatures as part of the logo, what I do care about is money being wasted on repainting stock that isn't due to be repainted, on units being taken out of service to be re-painted or covered in vinyl wraps, the cost of rolling stock being re-liveried, and the additional cost of stations, signage and other materials being re-branded.
There's plenty of British Rail signage around the industry, particularly track side, there's some lurking around on stations, bridges and other passenger facing areas. Little of it has deteriorated to the point it needs replacing. There's still stock in the British Rail colours they were delivered in some 25 years ago - they are shabby and tired looking, but 15 year old stock in some parts of the country are on their third colour scheme. There's no justification for that level of expenditure.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone know what the actual cost is for a new livery for a 2/3 car set? I suppose, traditionally, repaints were carried out when they were required, and not when a new franchise (or new funding source) took over. Sometimes it just seems an unnecessary cost!
The current cost is around £40,000 per vehicle. It'll be a little more on a 23m vehicle and a little less on a 20m vehicle. I'd go with around £150,000 for a 4 car EMU and £130,000 for a 3 car DMU.