• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Northeast Family Day Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
As we often do, I purchased one of these tickets this morning whilst boarding the number 7 at Darlington, we were visiting family at Ferryhill and the cost is £13.50. The family consists of two adults, two children aged 7 and 9 and an infant aged 2.

There was nothing unusual when I initially requested the ticket, my family then walked behind to head to the top deck. The driver then looked behind me, asking how many were in the party and I stated what is written above, also mentioning the age of the infant and he shouldn't be affected, or words to that effect.

She said that she wasn't then sure about the validity of the ticket and whether it covered 2 or 3 children, as 'they change it all the time'. I repeated that the infant was only 2 years old, meaning we only had 2 'paying' children and it should be irrelevant to the validity of the ticket anyway, but she then made a bizarre claim that he would need to have a ticket as he was part of our travelling party.

She then issued the ticket regardless and said she would have to check later (presumably after shift/on break) to see how many children were actually allowed on the ticket.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have checked the website since returning, and it says 2 Adults/3 Children, which it has always done as long as I have been buying these tickets. But what about the claim about the infant? I did find that quite bizarre, or has a new rule been created?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChathillMan

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2010
Messages
265
I honestly dont understand how drivers can regulaly get Family tickets wrong.

I know of one instance of a driver not selling a family ticket to a 16 year old and her two younger travellers despite clearly fulfiling the criteria for the family ticket, purely because the driver didnt think the 16 year old was an 'adult'

Its and easy thing for the driver to say that "they" change it all the time (clearly some sort of dig at management) when that clearly isnt true. Its the driver over thinking IMO
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
Have to confess that I didn't know about a 16yo being able to buy the ticket as an 'adult' either.
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
Have to confess that I didn't know about a 16yo being able to buy the ticket as an 'adult' either.
Not something that I thought about either, but as some areas charge adult fares from age 14... why not? :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top