• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva 158 Refurbishment (combination of 3 threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip

On Moderation
Joined
27 May 2007
Messages
3,734
Location
Manchester
Nice refurb but why aren't they doing this to the same extent on the 175s? Do ATW anticipate losing their Coradia fleet in the near future, hence why only a minor going over is being done on them?
 

danfitz123

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2010
Messages
216
Location
Some Place Called Halewood
Nice refurb but why aren't they doing this to the same extent on the 175s? Do ATW anticipate losing their Coradia fleet in the near future, hence why only a minor going over is being done on them?

I think it has something to do with the funding from welsh assembly government. They only funded ATW for the 158's, probably sick of people complaining on cambrian services.
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
175s hardly needed much doing whereas the 158s were very tired and do form the mainstay of the long distance fleet. The 175 refresh is very good I don't know why people seem so bothered about the First livery remaining on the side strips
 

danfitz123

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2010
Messages
216
Location
Some Place Called Halewood
175s hardly needed much doing whereas the 158s were very tired and do form the mainstay of the long distance fleet. The 175 refresh is very good I don't know why people seem so bothered about the First livery remaining on the side strips

I do understand were people are coming from, a lick of paint wouldn't have exactly hurt the company financially. They should have painted the strips the arriva turquoise colour. :|
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I think it has something to do with the funding from welsh assembly government. They only funded ATW for the 158's, probably sick of people complaining on cambrian services.

Sorry you are wrong, other classes have been funded.


Bob
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
She doesn't as yet but has a new system installed and may possibly have it when the system is all set up! :p


any comment on thread 60 about noise Arriva 158, I await a 2nd opinion, after your eight hours of travel on Friday


Bob
 
Last edited:

j0hn0

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2009
Messages
563
Location
St Albans, England
aye great shots indeed.

This is what the 158s have needed for a long time. Nice touch on the headrests so you could sleep if you so desired.

The first time I went on a 158 it was brand new and I loved it. Then they all got so tired so quickly and broken. I wont forget the trips to Tywyn with 1 working toilet on the whole train and no air con.

Great to see them coming back to form
 

emoaconr

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2009
Messages
333
Location
Merseyside
Arriva did spend some money on them - they reupholstered a lot of them a few years ago from the original Wales&West moquette (i.e. the one that matched the carpet), along with the 150s/153s.

I have to say that moquette (as in my display pic) was a foul pattern. Glad to see the back of it.

I didn't mind the 175s pre-refurb, I think the money should definately be focused on the 158's.
 
Last edited:

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
Saw this at Wolverhampton yesterday (along with an attractive guard ;)) looked very smart, the less well informed could confuse it for a new unit I think.
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Saw this at Wolverhampton yesterday (along with an attractive guard ;)) looked very smart, the less well informed could confuse it for a new unit I think.

Presume the guard was female:) anyhow passed Welshpool station by road just after 4/00p.m. today, the down (to Newtown) was just pulling into platform one all four coaches were well loaded.

Bob
 

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
6,231
Location
Newtown Montgomeryshire
Had first ride on 840 on Thursday. Leg room on airline seats is vast improvement on old layout. (I'm 6' 3"). Though the high backs are not that great for scenic lines my daughter sat by window on left hand side and had good view out of the window close to her but we had to stand to look out for the Osprey nest at Dyfi Jnc (RHS)- I traveled from Newtown to Aberdydi on 1009 ex BHM INTL. The windows were open and air con was struggling, the unit was just under half full - I noticed all tables were occupied and ended up in airline seat by necessity.
 

Goldfish62

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
13,225
The air con on 158s hasn't worked for years, due to the original system being de-activated. As far as I know, only SWT have replaced it with a more modern system.

Which still seems to fail at the first sign of any sunshine. Same with the 458s.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
As far as I know, only SWT have replaced it with a more modern system.

I'm fairly sure its been replaced on some other operators 158s, plenty of times during the summer whilst its roasting hot I've boarded Northern 158s only to be enveloped by wonderfully cool air (with the windows closed). Much cooler than you would expect than if the air-con wasn't working.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,294
I like the interior, but it was a bad choice not having the 'wings' on the seat
 

WSnook37025

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2010
Messages
43
this unit was taken to crewe heritage centre where it was driven under own power to LNWR. has major wheel flats, no brake problems (im a volunteer at CHC)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top