• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are there any strike days in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
I have booked a trip with LNER on the 3rd September, so I hope there are no strikes on that day!

The last one in June I just missed it as it was the following week the strike hit.

In one retrospect I haven’t booked anything further by train further into the future and I’ll probably be back in England in new year!
 

trek

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2013
Messages
199
I've booked 4 nights in a premier inn London prior to all this kicking off, so I'm holding off booking any train tickets until I know what's happening.

Will drive down if I have to and park at the end of a tube line.
If it's an advanced ticket I would personally just book now (directly with the operator) with a seat reservation as if your service is cancelled you'll be entitled to a refund anyway. Waiting just increases the amount you'll end up paying if your date isn't impacted.
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
Does it look like SWR staff will be going on strike soon? I'm heading off to London in September to get the Eurostar and am wondering if I should book the National Express coach from Winchester to London instead (unless National Express staff announce industrial action)
 

trek

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2013
Messages
199
Does it look like SWR staff will be going on strike soon? I'm heading off to London in September to get the Eurostar and am wondering if I should book the National Express coach from Winchester to London instead (unless National Express staff announce industrial action)
Well, RMT members at SWR are next week on 18th/20th August!

Depending when your Eurostar is you might be fine, ASLEF members at SWR are not currently striking, and on RMT strike days SWR manages to run a half hourly service between Southampton and Winchester between 0730 and 1700.

If you can do a refundable coach that might be an option?
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
If it's an advanced ticket I would personally just book now (directly with the operator) with a seat reservation as if your service is cancelled you'll be entitled to a refund anyway. Waiting just increases the amount you'll end up paying if your date isn't impacted.
Aren't they currently still doing that no questions asked change or refund to Advance tickets until the end of September though?
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
Well, RMT members at SWR are next week on 18th/20th August!

Depending when your Eurostar is you might be fine, ASLEF members at SWR are not currently striking, and on RMT strike days SWR manages to run a half hourly service between Southampton and Winchester between 0730 and 1700.

If you can do a refundable coach that might be an option?
Thanks, I'd forgotten RMT members at SWR were striking!

I'll go ahead and book the coach.
 

Mugby

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2012
Messages
2,135
Location
Derby
Who controls the DFt?
I don't think anyone controls them, I think they're a law unto themselves.

They certainly have no intention of letting a here today, gone tomorrow Transport Secretary tell them what to do.
Especially one who knows little or nothing about his brief anyway!
 

trek

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2013
Messages
199
Aren't they currently still doing that no questions asked change or refund to Advance tickets until the end of September though?
Almost, it's not a refund it's a free change or exchange for an e-voucher/Rail Travel voucher (which of these two depending on retailer).
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
Some of the above is helpful, but am I correct to state that despite the official notice period for strikes of 14 days, in practice the vast majority of the time, more notice has been given?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
If it's an advanced ticket I would personally just book now (directly with the operator) with a seat reservation as if your service is cancelled you'll be entitled to a refund anyway. Waiting just increases the amount you'll end up paying if your date isn't impacted.
I certainly won't be booking with Avanti as they've been cancelling too many trains
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,378
I don't think anyone controls them, I think they're a law unto themselves.

They certainly have no intention of letting a here today, gone tomorrow Transport Secretary tell them what to do.
Especially one who knows little or nothing about his brief anyway!
More to the point, the thing that seems to be first and foremost in the policies of the leading candidate for Prime Minister is tax cuts, and therefore spending cuts. The incoming Transport Secretary isn't going to be able to authorise DfT to spend more on fixing the pay issue, or withdraw the proposals for 'nasties'.

The news suggests there are more talks this week so once those break down, I guess we can expect another series of strikes to be announced.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/wor...e-with-more-industrial-action-down-the-track/

The National
Aug 13, 2022

Rail industry representatives and Aslef are expected to hold formal talks next week. Steve Montgomery, chairman of the Rail Delivery Group, and Aslef general secretary Mick Whelan confirmed that the talks would go ahead following the 24-hour action. Both were in uncompromising mood on Saturday, though.

Mr Whelan told the PA news agency that the train companies were unable to offer a pay rise without the permission of the Department for Transport, but the UK government was insisting it had nothing to do with them.

He said that if there is no breakthrough to the long-running dispute, more strikes were likely.

“We don't want to go on strike — strikes are always a last resort — but the companies, and the government, have forced our hand.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
Been looking up on LNWR site and I'm getting timetable unconfirmed for first weekend in September.
.........................
Edit to add: Got through and found timetables for 2nd September and 6th September, booked a return Liverpool-Euston-Liverpool via Crewe, total price £33.65p at reasonable times too.

OK it's about 2 hours longer than Avanti, its cheaper and consistent service at least.

I'm takng a chance here hoping there will be no strikes on these days.
 
Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,378
Been looking up on LNWR site and I'm getting timetable unconfirmed for first weekend in September.
That won't be due to an expection of strike action (although a strike on 3 September is still possible if announced this week).
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
That won't be due to an expection of strike action (although a strike on 3 September is still possible if announced this week).
Just saw your post after mine, that's a possibility depending on how talks will turn out, 14 days notice is required so it could be that weekend or the following.

All we can do is wait.
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,286
Location
North West
I intend to do some rail travel around Lincolnshire early September. I won't arrange anything until the last minute. :'(
Same here! I've booked Advance tickets for Monday 12th. In 1 case it was the final ticket at that price. I will only book my flexible Day Return on the day (provided of course there are no strikes then).

Aslef seem to be striking on Saturdays but may wait for the other TOCs' results on August 25th. Apparently talks are about to resume anyway.

As RMT strikes have been 3 or 4 weeks apart, we indeed cannot be sure yet that these won't be called then.
 

class 9

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2010
Messages
1,079
There is absolutely no sign that any settlement is in sight for the TOCs. Although talks continue, the companies are effectively stalling pending direction from the government.

It’s not much better on Network Rail, but the talks are slightly more constructive. Although again, we appear to be very far from any agreements being made.

So I predict that there will be strikes in September. The unions are not likely to announce dates just yet though.
My TOC have had no talks with ASLEF whatsoever, this is despite our MD saying that they are!!
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,555
Location
Lichfield
If you've access to a car, use it. Nothing will change this year, I don't think.

I do, and have, the money I would have put in the fare box has gone to Esso.

I'm not convinced telling customers to use the car is going to do the railway any favours, long term though. You can't keep telling your customers to go away because eventually they won't come back.
 

102 fan

On Moderation
Joined
14 May 2007
Messages
790
I do, and have, the money I would have put in the fare box has gone to Esso.

I'm not convinced telling customers to use the car is going to do the railway any favours, long term though. You can't keep telling your customers to go away because eventually they won't come back.


We all know how well the British car industry coped with strikes......
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
I'm not convinced telling customers to use the car is going to do the railway any favours, long term though. You can't keep telling your customers to go away because eventually they won't come back.
Pretty much what happened in the 60s and 70s, previous BR "like it or lump it" attitude didn't work anymore once people found better options buying a car, curiously such attitude has continued to florish in that strange parallel universe known as the railway industry driving away customers.

The striker would have to careful not to destroy their industry via a death by a thousand cuts.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
I intend to do some rail travel around Lincolnshire early September. I won't arrange anything until the last minute. :'(
It doesn't have to necessarily be last minute, the unions are legally obliged to give 14 days notice of strike. Of course there is always the risk of extra disruption as a result of industrial action short of strikes, as currently seen with Avanti. But that could happen at any time, anywhere there is currently a dispute.

Sadly this is likely to be going on for some time, the government are currently seeking big savings and / or increased value throughout publicly funded services & Shapp's tone in the letter posted above reflects this. So its a stalemate situation at the moment.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Of course there is always the risk of extra disruption as a result of industrial action short of strikes TOCs not employing enough drivers to cover the work and not enough volunteering to go to work on their days off to operate the timetable, as currently seen with Avanti.

Corrected that for you!
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
So what you are saying is you want less chance of overtime......?? ;)

As you know perfectly well what I’m saying is that people not choosing to work overtime isn’t, in and of itself, “industrial action” and it’s missing the point to blame TOCs resourcing decisions on ASLEF. The TOCs are the organisations who are responsible for (and failing at!) delivering the service they’ve been contracted to provide.

Me personally? I did a fair bit of overtime during Covid, mostly due to boredom. I’m planning on doing very little to none once I’ve moved (should be in the next few weeks). That is my choice and has nothing to do with my union or my employer. I suppose that means I’ll be taking unofficial industrial action in the eyes of many on here :D!
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
As you know perfectly well what I’m saying is that people not choosing to work overtime isn’t, in and of itself, “industrial action” and it’s missing the point to blame TOCs resourcing decisions on ASLEF. The TOCs are the organisations who are responsible for (and failing at!) delivering the service they’ve been contracted to provide.

Me personally? I did a fair bit of overtime during Covid, mostly due to boredom. I’m planning on doing very little to none once I’ve moved (should be in the next few weeks). That is my choice and has nothing to do with my union or my employer. I suppose that means I’ll be taking unofficial industrial action in the eyes of many on here :D!
Individuals choosing not to work overtime or rest days is totally their personal choice. However a whole swathe of staff suddenly stopping, more or less at exactly the same time is, well as the kids would say "sus". And if a blanket ban on overtime and / or rest day working was not included as part of the ballot then any organised, be it via the union or through the mess rooms, any "action short of a strike" is illegal under current legislation. And come on, how many people really believe that this was not in any way organised? At best its is sloppy, and at worst is is utter madness.

Frankly if ASLEF or any other union are trying to sneak this under the radar then they are not only damaging their own causes, but that of all unions. If they are not, then they should be letting their members know exactly what is, and what isn't covered on the ballot in no uncertain times. Because one legal error will ultimately bring down the entire dispute and the end of the pay claim.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top