• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any jobs for 16 year olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliverj8

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
202
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I am 16 years old and am really desperate for a job, does anyone know if I am old enough to get one on the railways?

Thanks in advance,
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,715
Location
London
Considering employment hours below 18 I would suspect not, as only being allowed to work 4.5 hour stints before a break would not be efficient use of a time for a TOC, compared to employing somebody 18+.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I doubt it, purely on the grounds there is high competition for rail jobs and recruiters will be looking for past work experience. It's not impossible though, I worked with someone who is 17, but she worked part-time, and her dad was a manager for the TOC.
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
unless you go in on a modern apprenticeship I would have thought not, I'd go in at 18 tbh
 

oliverj8

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
202
So just doing a few hours in the local station ticket office isn't ok?
The TOC I wrote to said that I have to be 18 due to health and safety although I didn't mention anything to them about having a health and safety certificate, should I write to them again?

Thanks,
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,715
Location
London
If they said no then that's their answer. Their insurance probably doesn't cover under 18s.

My advice would be some form of education, getting a full time job at 16 is so difficult these days, what with the lack of jobs.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Ticket office work often requires quite high level of trust and responsibility. You would be handling cash, processing cards and in small stations re responsible for security, such as opening and locking up. As such, TOC's look for a checkable work history, and are very unlikely to take someone on who is under 18. Sorry!
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
I'd consider staying in education a bit longer if I were in your position, I wanted to do the same at 16, but I stayed on did my A-levels whilst working at mcdonalds, even qualified as a manager whilst there, then walked straight onto the railway at 18. You need to get some life experience to get onto the railway as there is alot of competition for jobs.
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
Considering employment hours below 18 I would suspect not, as only being allowed to work 4.5 hour stints before a break would not be efficient use of a time for a TOC, compared to employing somebody 18+.

That's the same for everyone, not just under 18s.

The biggest restriction for those under 18s is that they can not work between 10pm and 6am (11pm and 7am for railway related work).

Another thing for those under 18, they can't have any safety critical jobs, or work on board trains, so if you do apply to a TOC for a job, be prepared to be a general dogsbody and/or cleaner on a station.

If you want to get a customer focused job on the railways and seeing your only 16, then I recommend you volunteer at a local charity shop (British Heart Foundation (Furniture and Electrical) for example). This will give you a good entry on your CV (providing you volunteer long enough), plus get you a reference that's not from college/school.
 

oliverj8

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
202
I was thinking of a job to pay for my travels on trains, I finish school on May 7th and would need between then and the holidays and for the holidays plus I could still do it once the college day has ended.
Hope this makes sense.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Some TOCs have work experience, one person on here was with GC and another is doing one this summer with EMT. However I don't know their ages and if they were paid. Best bet would be to look for a job not involving the railways until you are 18.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Where are you based? If there is a heritage railway nearby you could volunteer there, and get the hours down - showing dedication etc.

TOCs do do work experience, but as I've found down south, it's not what you know it's who you know. I've got 2 placements through people I know rather than through their HR departments where I was refused (though they weren't the same TOCs).

As I gather it 18 is the age for ticket office/train dispatch/stations and 21 is for guard, driver or signaller jobs.

There can't be any harm in sending them your CV - if you ask they may have a general dogsbody intern office job going - filing and shredding etc.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Definatly try the heritage railway - you meet great people (one of whom I got a work experience placement through). The other person whom I got some work experience through was a member of this forum whom I knew.

You could try your friends dad - see if he knows anyone.
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
I worked with someone who is 17

Is she nice ;) some staff ive seen are quite nice indeed....


oh sorry getting back on track (hmm no pun intended) there are jobs you can do at 16/17 but as said compared to someone that can do shifts and all sorts of hours you dont have much of a chance, I recomend doing what im going to do and get a job at somewhere like Tesco may not be the best job going but it gives you experience and im sure you can take a Customer service BTEC, I did read about this last year so im going from memory here but all the best anyways! hope at least one of us gets a job on the rails :D:lol:
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
I was under the impression that it's 18 for signallers too, though I may be wrong... :|
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I am 16 years old and am really desperate for a job, does anyone know if I am old enough to get one on the railways?

Thanks in advance,

You obviously have a passion for trains however I would get an education first other than trying to get money to bash trains, in 5 years time you may not be interested in trains and my be interested in starting a family in this day and age if I was 16 again I would have enhanced my education, why don't you look on doing an engineering course at College and then going onto the railways as an engineer, maybe S & T or signaller or even a driver, worring about working on the railway so you can enhance your hobby will not get you far when it comes to getting a well paid job later on! Sorry to sound negative but I have seen many youngsters go your way and none of them have much of a future!!
 

oliverj8

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
202
You obviously have a passion for trains however I would get an education first other than trying to get money to bash trains, in 5 years time you may not be interested in trains and my be interested in starting a family in this day and age if I was 16 again I would have enhanced my education, why don't you look on doing an engineering course at College and then going onto the railways as an engineer, maybe S & T or signaller or even a driver, worring about working on the railway so you can enhance your hobby will not get you far when it comes to getting a well paid job later on! Sorry to sound negative but I have seen many youngsters go your way and none of them have much of a future!!

Thanks for the advice :D

Yes I have a big passion for trains, I am going into further education and will be doing a BTEC National Diploma in Engineering worth 3 A Levels. My ideal career is a train driver but have had advice to start early on the railways to have any chance.
 

GNERman

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2008
Messages
1,595
Location
North Yorkshire
Some TOCs have work experience, one person on here was with GC and another is doing one this summer with EMT. However I don't know their ages and if they were paid. Best bet would be to look for a job not involving the railways until you are 18.

Wensley and I were at GC but we didn't get paid, not that we minded at all because of what else we actually did. We were both 15 at the time...
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
Wensley and I were at GC but we didn't get paid, not that we minded at all because of what else we actually did. We were both 15 at the time...

Aye intresting but im sure the op doesn't want to work for free for the rest of his life on work ex.

Best of luck in finding a job pal
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Wensley and I were at GC but we didn't get paid, not that we minded at all because of what else we actually did. We were both 15 at the time...

Thought I remembered your sig! Sounds quite good, never knew GC did work experience.
 

Dolive22

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2009
Messages
464
Have you tried the 'I'm studying engineering at college' angle to get work experience or even paid work? Firms can be pretty good with work experience for engineers. I know the BTEC ND isn't an engineering degree, but it might well help to get experience that you are studying it.

A couple of my friends are doing the ND. I can't really think of any advice for it, expect warning you that they have managed to find a way to make engineering students write essays.

Good luck.
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,715
Location
London
That's the same for everyone, not just under 18s.

Over 18s can work 6 hours between breaks last time I checked, certainly where I work under 18s are highlighted on the rota to specify that the hours are more restrictive.
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
My ideal career is a train driver but have had advice to start early on the railways to have any chance.

I think there is a general consensus that it's better to work your way up the ranks, but honestly, from someone at the bottom of those ranks, as far as I can see at the moment, certainly at arriva, you'd be better to walk into a drivers job off the street with your engineering qualifications etc.
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
I think there is a general consensus that it's better to work your way up the ranks, but honestly, from someone at the bottom of those ranks, as far as I can see at the moment, certainly at arriva, you'd be better to walk into a drivers job off the street with your engineering qualifications etc.

I agree on this one, although companies do advertise internally they also have to advertise externally as well and the best candidate gets the job even if it is from outside the business, of course if a guard gets a drivers job that means the company has to employ another guard and this in turn can work out more costly!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top