As someone who's still gutted to have failed interview for a guard job, I would be biting your TOCs hand off to accept the job. Were I in your shoes. Also I'd be a bit salty if I knew the position I didn't get had gone to someone who didn't really want it.
Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
I'm really sorry you didn't get through the interview, I know it stings to get turned down for a job you really want.
However, the OP is right to question the job before she accepts. There's nothing wrong with having doubts over a role and weighing up all the pros and cons of making the move. There are a lot of people who would give anything to work on the railway which means that they can't always understand why someone else wouldn't give anything. Being desperate to work on the railway doesn't necessarily mean someone would be the right fit for the role they've applied for, and not being desperate to work on the railway doesn't mean that someone can't subsequently enjoy the job and be good at it.
I wasn't desperate to work on the railway, I wasn't entirely convinced about taking the job as I worried about the shift work aspect of it and if I'm brutally honest it's slowly killing my relationship and has made it incredibly difficult for me to make new friends in a new area. But I still go to work and approach each shift as a professional and do my job diligently and with a smile on my face. I can do the job well despite the fact that it's never been my dream.
OP, I answered on your other thread. On balance I like the job and the industry. I'd struggle to go back to M-F 9-5 but I see you're not coming from that environment so perhaps that's not relevant. Sometimes I think I regret joining the railway but I can't imagine ever leaving, so that must say something! There are plenty of positives. Whether or not there are others who'd like to be in your shoes shouldn't sway your thinking in any way.
Also, I know the enquiries are well intentioned but I wouldn't reveal the TOC in question. You never know who's reading, whether that be HR or someone at your prospective depot who will be able to put two and two together.