• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I mad to turn down guard job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatieK

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2016
Messages
16
Predicament time. Literally have 48 hours to decide to accept or decline post.

My dilemma is stay in a not so well paid job that I love, or take a chance in a well paid job that I also may love. It's a case of fearing the unknown.

The money is not a big issue for me but what worries me is the unsociable hours and possibly the loss of my social life.

However, if the job is highly enjoyable, I could love it.

Any guards out there doing the job solely for the pay with loss to personal life? Or does everyone love their job too?

Advice appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Charl1e2

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2016
Messages
39
What made you apply for the role?

If you love a job and are well paid I don't really understand why you'd risk a change if you're not sure.
 

red2005

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
844
Location
north ish
If it's a fantastic career full of opportunities you want you'd be mad to turn it down!......you'll not find many jobs or industries like this one.

However if a good social life and a job with sociable hours are things that are really important to you DO NOT TOUCH WITH A BARGEPOLE!!! You'd be wasting your time and theirs as well as taking a position away from someone who is probably desperate for it which isn't right.

It depends on the social life you're after......If you lash it up every weekend and that's something you want to continue with then a safety critical/operational role probably won't work.

I've been operational for 10 years and I'm more than happy with the job and social life but it depends on what your social life is.

To me it's a no brainer but only you can make the decision.
 
Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
Based on your last thread I would say turn it down. You are already having doubts and are clearly seeking an excuse to decline the role. If you have those doubts already then you may not settle in and be looking for the negatives at every opportunity. In both threads you have mentioned money. That doesn't suggest its not an issue. You could take the job then resign but then where would you be ?

Based on experience ? I have never looked back since joining the railway. I love my job for the most part but there are days where it can be very soul destroying. I can't lie. Shift work will destroy your social life, home life, and take years off your life. There are plenty of studies out there to prove that. For me the shift work can be advantageous. Yeah I mess a few events but I often come out on top for others. Regular long weekends means I can wind down from work much more than my friends who all seem to chase the clock. Mon-Fri doesn't appeal to me any more as I have learned to accept my shifts and I use them in my favour. As an example. I have spent more time with my kids since doing shift work than I ever did doing 9-5 Monday to Friday, although it does mean I have to attend parents evenings <D

I have seen many young people burn out quickly as the affect on their social life becomes apparent. You need to see the long term rather than look to next week/month/year.

Happiness at work is very important so based on that I would say stay in your current job you love. Why you are leaving a job you love, only you can say.

Socially my friends know I work shifts but they are my friends so they accept me for who I am. I still get to go out on the lash and have plenty of summer BBQs My Bank Holiday is on rotation. I never used to get Bank Holiday off ! The 9-5 is dead and buried.
 

JohnChuchu

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2013
Messages
107
You would be crazy to turn down this amazing opportunity...hours not that bad...if you start say 4:30am you be finished by 12:30pm after doing an 8 hour shift and have the rest of the day home. Every 4 week you a long weekend 5-6 days from Thursday to Wednesday...(not annual leave), you still have 26 annual leave days you can take to add to your long weekend...best ever pension around....you can be sick for up to 6 months on full pay, then the pay will go down to half pay for the next 6 months...afterwards you don't get paid but you still have your job if you recover
 

KatieK

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2016
Messages
16
I'm sorry if my post sounds ungrateful and I really appreciate how lucky I am to be afforded this opportunity.

I'm not necessarily a go out on the lashow weekend sort of person. What I means is I have a huge circle of friends and interestsee which doesn't necessarily mean slurping down alcohol so therefore from a safety critical point of viewI dont necessarily mean this. I'm more of a BBQ, meals out, watching a band sort of person....not to say I don't enjoy a rugby international night out tho Hahaha.

I too don't like mon to fri 9 to 5 hrs. Can think of nothing worse. I currently work 2 weekends in 4 although with 7am starts when I do finish I'm home by 9.30om and if I work a weekend day I start at 8am so my weekends are still quite free with the other 2 weekends off completely. I also work every bank holiday but either 8 till 1pm or 4.30 pm to 9.30pm.

I some times work 7 days per week but short shifts no longer than 5 hours.

Yes I lover my job because it's very rewarding but can be a little mind numbing. I'm not on a bad wage however I think trsin guard salary is very high.

I must admit the wage encouraged me to apply as I am no rail enthusiast but I know if I accept this, I will put my heart and soul into it. It's just making that final decision.

Of course I do not want to take this opportunity away from someone else hence my questions and wanting to be 100%.

One I am 100% then I will not enter this career negatively. It's just making the change that's all. Want to make sure it's absolutely the right decision.
 

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
1,358
1. If you need complete strangers on an internet forum to make a decision for you, how are you going to cope in an operational emergency?

2. Your friends are rining you on a Friday night asking you to go out. You need to be in bed at 8, as you're up early the next morning. Which is more important to you - your livelyhood, or having a night out?

Real friends will understand.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
Which TOC is it, if you're happy to say? If you can get in touch with current guards at the same depot, it might give you a better idea of the impact that it'll have.

Railway shiftwork isn't for everyone, but I wouldn't change it for the world (even after ten consecutive late turns!).
 

red2005

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
844
Location
north ish
Based on your last thread I would say turn it down. You are already having doubts and are clearly seeking an excuse to decline the role. If you have those doubts already then you may not settle in and be looking for the negatives at every opportunity. In both threads you have mentioned money. That doesn't suggest its not an issue. You could take the job then resign but then where would you be ?

Based on experience ? I have never looked back since joining the railway. I love my job for the most part but there are days where it can be very soul destroying. I can't lie. Shift work will destroy your social life, home life, and take years off your life. There are plenty of studies out there to prove that. For me the shift work can be advantageous. Yeah I mess a few events but I often come out on top for others. Regular long weekends means I can wind down from work much more than my friends who all seem to chase the clock. Mon-Fri doesn't appeal to me any more as I have learned to accept my shifts and I use them in my favour. As an example. I have spent more time with my kids since doing shift work than I ever did doing 9-5 Monday to Friday, although it does mean I have to attend parents evenings <D

I have seen many young people burn out quickly as the affect on their social life becomes apparent. You need to see the long term rather than look to next week/month/year.

Happiness at work is very important so based on that I would say stay in your current job you love. Why you are leaving a job you love, only you can say.

Socially my friends know I work shifts but they are my friends so they accept me for who I am. I still get to go out on the lash and have plenty of summer BBQs My Bank Holiday is on rotation. I never used to get Bank Holiday off ! The 9-5 is dead and buried.

If I were you I'd read what this guy has put and take it on board as he's put it excellently and it's the best advice you'll receive on here!

Without trying to make the railway out as a form of paradise it's still the sort of industry you shouldn't be having doubts about joining. As I said earlier people would give their back teeth to get through a paper sift never mind a job offer like you have received.

On the same token as the guy above has said it's not a paradise and it's not for everyone but that's generally found out long after starting not at the job offer stage.

Please please please don't do the whole "take it and resign if you don't like it" approach that just puts you in a position after you've left, puts the company in a position in relation to covering the work you've left and you've also taken away someone else's opportunity that would have killed to be in your position.

If it was me I'd be snapping their hand off but I personally wouldn't of had the doubts you've got as driving is all I ever wanted to do.......If I was in your shoes I'd listen to the guy above.

I've seen many a staff member come unstuck in more ways than one in my time here because they couldn't separate their social life from their work ......save yourself and the company the aggro.
 
Last edited:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
3,497
Location
Over The Hill
I would say the variable shifts are the biggest consideration for you. If you can adjust to shift working you will find a way to still have a social life and you will also work out who your true friends are. And it's certainly not true to say that all guards enjoy their job, it's the miserable ones who will always spend as much time as possible in the back cab! If you like working independently while dealing with people it's a fantastic job and if it was possible I'd go back to it tomorrow.
 

KatieK

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2016
Messages
16
I wish to stress I'm not asking strangers to make a decision for me. I'm asking for those in the profession who know the role inside outility take on the matter.

I'm also not a youngster who wishes to lash it up on weekends, just a more mature woman who enjoys weekend meals, drinks, bands, rugby and general interests. This is not more important to me but a balance is.

I'm currently a shift worker who has 2 weekends off every 4 and can some weeks work 7 days per week although they are shifts no longer than 5 hrs.

The info I wanted was mainly to ascertain the shifts didn't equate to all work no play. Yes I do enjoy my job and do not want to take this opportunity away from anyone else. That's why I want to make sure it's 100% for me. No I'm not an avid railway enthusiast and the salary did greatly attract me. I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

Having said this, if I accept, I will give my all enthusiastically. Safety would be of utmost importance and I certainly would not undertake a role having been out on the lash prior haha.

I just want to ascertain I know what things entail fully and wanted those in the role already to give me their take, not to make my mind up for me.
 

KatieK

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2016
Messages
16
Like to stress.
1. Am not looking for strangers to make a decision for me
2. I am not seeking to lash it up on weekends but merely ascertain effect on social life in general
3. Understand how fortunate I am to be afforded this opportunity and want to be sure it's 100 percent for me
4. From a safety/critical point of view I would be extremely vigilant when on shift and a night on lash as somebody put it would not enter my head.

I am already a shift worker. I work 7 days a week on occasions albeit short shifts and work every bank holiday but not unsociable hours.

I merely wanted other guards take on this and if i accept my offer will put my heart and soul into my new career. It's just making that move from a job I do enjoy but does not pay as well. I am also worried how many guards were real rail enthusiasts before starting and chose the profession initially based on the salary because I won't lie, I am not a rail enthusiast and the salary at present is the appealing factor because not having good worked as a guard, I know no difference. Just being honest here
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Woops. I didn't think my threads were posting hence my 3 replies.

Apologies for the typo errors. Rushing my replies on an I. Phone with no glasses haha.

I hope I made my points a little clearer. Call it fear of the unknown but I stress I realuse I am extremely lucky to be afforded this position and also taken aback if I'm honest despite the fact I feelin I interviewed well.

As an NHS employee I have worked 12 hr night shifts but no longer work nights just currently on short day shifts.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
Short shifts, fewer days off and two (full?) weekends worked out of four? It sounds like the stuff of nightmares to me, and I thought our link was bad!
 

DasLunatic

Member
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
696
We still don't know which TOC you're angling for. Only when we know will we be able to assist in a greater capacity.
 

contrad!ction

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2014
Messages
103
Short shifts, fewer days off and two (full?) weekends worked out of four? It sounds like the stuff of nightmares to me, and I thought our link was bad!

You on 12s or the dreaded 8s? <D

The best thing about railway shifts IMO is that I don't take the job home with me - as soon as I sign off the lightbulb goes off until I sign back on again which (compared to my previous career) is a major bonus.
 

KatieK

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2016
Messages
16
Don't work 7 days every week only 2 in 4 and I'm finished by 1pm and my longest shift is 6 hrs. Same on weekends 2 in 4 finish same time however if I work out my shifts over a month I'm only fully off 4 days a month as opposed to 12 a month on railway. I stress my job is very relaxed so my 5 hr shifts are a piece of cake.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
You on 12s or the dreaded 8s? <D

The best thing about railway shifts IMO is that I don't take the job home with me - as soon as I sign off the lightbulb goes off until I sign back on again which (compared to my previous career) is a major bonus.
When I was signalling, I was on an 8 hour roster, GPR covering quite a large area too, and I'd have swapped it for 12s in an instant. We were really short-staffed, so I ended up working plenty of 12s anyway (at least I got a Christmas card from rosters last year!), just without the benefit of the extra rest days or enhanced rate overtime!

On the dark side now, and it's a broadly similar pattern but with Sundays inside the working week and a long weekend one in three (instead of four). Works out at just less than a 4.5 day week. Tiring, but a 6 or 7 day week of even shorter shifts really does sound horrible!
 

JohnChuchu

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2013
Messages
107
I'm sorry if my post sounds ungrateful and I really appreciate how lucky I am to be afforded this opportunity.

I'm not necessarily a go out on the lashow weekend sort of person. What I means is I have a huge circle of friends and interestsee which doesn't necessarily mean slurping down alcohol so therefore from a safety critical point of viewI dont necessarily mean this. I'm more of a BBQ, meals out, watching a band sort of person....not to say I don't enjoy a rugby international night out tho Hahaha.

I too don't like mon to fri 9 to 5 hrs. Can think of nothing worse. I currently work 2 weekends in 4 although with 7am starts when I do finish I'm home by 9.30om and if I work a weekend day I start at 8am so my weekends are still quite free with the other 2 weekends off completely. I also work every bank holiday but either 8 till 1pm or 4.30 pm to 9.30pm.

I some times work 7 days per week but short shifts no longer than 5 hours.

Yes I lover my job because it's very rewarding but can be a little mind numbing. I'm not on a bad wage however I think trsin guard salary is very high.

I must admit the wage encouraged me to apply as I am no rail enthusiast but I know if I accept this, I will put my heart and soul into it. It's just making that final decision.

Of course I do not want to take this opportunity away from someone else hence my questions and wanting to be 100%.

One I am 100% then I will not enter this career negatively. It's just making the change that's all. Want to make sure it's absolutely the right decision.

From what you have said you can easily do the job and be a lot happier with loads more money and time to spare. Remember it is normally a 35 hour per week contract....your rostered hours should average 35 hours per week after a roster link cycle...Sundays are not part of the working week and Sunday money is not included in the quoted annual salary...you will be rostered Sundays but can give them away if you don't wish to work them following your Toc procedure.

Trust me you will be better off
 
Last edited:

contrad!ction

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2014
Messages
103
When I was signalling, I was on an 8 hour roster, GPR covering quite a large area too, and I'd have swapped it for 12s in an instant. We were really short-staffed, so I ended up working plenty of 12s anyway (at least I got a Christmas card from rosters last year!), just without the benefit of the extra rest days or enhanced rate overtime!

On the dark side now, and it's a broadly similar pattern but with Sundays inside the working week and a long weekend one in three (instead of four). Works out at just less than a 4.5 day week. Tiring, but a 6 or 7 day week of even shorter shifts really does sound horrible!

I think that's the opinion of most of the grade to be honest, I would never go back personally! An xmas card from rosters, you were doing well! :lol:

Ooohh you've been turned <D although I've been tempted myself to be honest, the moving shift patterns are (one of) the main reasons I haven't.
 

EssexGonzo

Member
Joined
9 May 2012
Messages
637
1. If you need complete strangers on an internet forum to make a decision for you, how are you going to cope in an operational emergency?

Really? You wrote that seriously?

I'm surprised you don't use that response on all of the threads in the careers section if you're serious about deriding what people here have to offer.

It's well know that there's a hardcore of deep and trustworthy knowledge and experience on this forum. Listening to the experience of others, then making your own mind up is a well-known decision-making technique. A credible internet forum makes it easier.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
I think that's the opinion of most of the grade to be honest, I would never go back personally! An xmas card from rosters, you were doing well! :lol:

Ooohh you've been turned <D although I've been tempted myself to be honest, the moving shift patterns are (one of) the main reasons I haven't.
The uncertainty of being a lowly grade 3 (stretching to 4 on a regular basis, not that they'd give me the grade properly!) in an area with a pretty uncertain future did it for me. The closure dates have since been pushed right back, but then it'd only take a pot of money to appear from somewhere (most likely the freight side) for it all to change. I loved signalling, and still keep my hand in in the heritage world, but it's not so bad here either :)
 

KatieK

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2016
Messages
16
I was a little taken aback when I read that to be fair. I also don't see what difference disclosing the TOC will make.
 

contrad!ction

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2014
Messages
103
The uncertainty of being a lowly grade 3 (stretching to 4 on a regular basis, not that they'd give me the grade properly!) in an area with a pretty uncertain future did it for me. The closure dates have since been pushed right back, but then it'd only take a pot of money to appear from somewhere (most likely the freight side) for it all to change. I loved signalling, and still keep my hand in in the heritage world, but it's not so bad here either :)

In that case I don't blame you at all then and I'd have probably done the same! I'm at a (pretty secure) signalling centre so a different world really - the money in going over wouldn't be much more at all compared to coming from a lower grade where I guess it's more of an increase. I relish the peace and quiet you had though I will admit... :lol:
 
Last edited:

sciisfun

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
208
Location
south west
I was a little taken aback when I read that to be fair. I also don't see what difference disclosing the TOC will make.

Different TOCs will be different, southern will be different to GWR and such, someone from northern telling you how good it is to work for them would be different to VTEC as an example.
Personal opinion, I regret not taking my offer to work for the railway, and have tried to get back in, and would drop everything in a heartbeat to get a second chance!
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
Every company is different and every depot within each company is different - at least when you're biggest fear seems to be shift patterns. There are also things to consider like job security, even that varies between depots. Morale also varies between companies,and that will affect the answers you get (try talking to Virgin West Coast and GTR staff on the same day for contrast).

Fwiw, I love shift work but I'm not an especially social person - when I do socialise, it's quite often with other members of the third of my depot that share the same restdays pattern. It works for me, but without more info it's hard to say if it'll work for you.

The railway is not for everyone though, and if you're having such doubts now I do worry about how you'd cope with the reality of the job. I think Comutor in particular made some excellent points as always and you should play close attention to his/her words.
 

KatieK

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2016
Messages
16
I like shift work too although was no lover of 12hr night shifts. A few conflicting pieces of advice here. I askespecially because this line of work is totally alien to me and one which I had no burning desire to do.

I'm wondering if others had simply applied due to a fantastic wage, even though they then loved the job or has this career path been a burning ambition only made more appealing due to it being well paid.

In other words is the pay, prospects, and working for a reputable company enough with the prospect of the job being lover or is it a career that should really be in the blood or a burning ambition
 

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
3,497
Location
Over The Hill
In other words is the pay, prospects, and working for a reputable company enough with the prospect of the job being lover or is it a career that should really be in the blood or a burning ambition

While all of these factors do indeed need to be taken into account I would also suggest you consider how you feel about dealing with the Great British Public. If you do the job professionally you will be left alone (nearly all the time) by your manager so it's how you cope with other people that will be most influential in whether you actually like the job. Given that colleagues will be almost overwhelmingly supportive, especially when first starting, it's the public that can colour your opinion. At times it can be very rewarding, at others a little disheartening. Having a thick skin is a very useful attribute!

Also worth noting that there are plenty now working on the railway who came to it as "just a job", albeit reasonably well paid, but who would not want to do anything else. It doesn't need to be in the blood but it will likely get under your skin: it's up to you as to whether that becomes a good thing or a bad thing.
 

red2005

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
844
Location
north ish
I like shift work too although was no lover of 12hr night shifts. A few conflicting pieces of advice here. I askespecially because this line of work is totally alien to me and one which I had no burning desire to do.

I'm wondering if others had simply applied due to a fantastic wage, even though they then loved the job or has this career path been a burning ambition only made more appealing due to it being well paid.

In other words is the pay, prospects, and working for a reputable company enough with the prospect of the job being lover or is it a career that should really be in the blood or a burning ambition

Many have and many will apply simply because the money is good.....but what happens when the novelty wears off? And then the reality of 03.30 starts kick in? Or passing family members like ships in the night for weeks on end? Or watching friends enjoying themselves socialising whilst they're stuck working or in bed because they're up early for work or just plain shattered?

None of us go to work for the fun of it obviously and in the end it's all done to stick food on the table but following the money is always a bit of a touchy subject on here. As someone said earlier people incredibly forget that this is the British public we are paid to deal with here........an unpredictable nasty animal if there ever was one........and you'd be the one paid to tickle it under the chin.

I know you say the money is good etc mate but it's worth noting that because of things like the above SOME will say guards are vastly underpaid.......something to think about.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top