• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alstom derby great gathering 1st-3rd August 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
4 Jan 2013
Messages
7
Location
Tunbridge Wells
To anyone who managed to checkout with PayPal and had money taken but got no order confirmation (like myself), I've just had this from Greatest Gathering via Messenger:

Everyone who has paid by PayPal has tickets and they have the data to sort that out and issue tickets. PayPal issue is happening because the user, when requesting this payment option, is directed off the site and then returns to the back of the queue. The option will be removed for future buyers to avoid issue.

Mortons themselves were less than useless. I rang them this morning to ask the same question and they told me they weren't involved in any way with this event, despite my PayPal payment being sent to "Mortons Media Group Ltd".
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,721
Location
Burgess Hill
To anyone who managed to checkout with PayPal and had money taken but got no order confirmation (like myself), I've just had this from Greatest Gathering via Messenger:

Mortons themselves were less than useless. I rang them this morning to ask the same question and they told me they weren't involved in any way with this event, despite my PayPal payment being sent to "Mortons Media Group Ltd".
I called a couple of hours ago (4pm-ish) and they told me that the PayPal confirmation was enough.

About 30 mins ago I received a real confirmation directly from Morton, and the order is showing properly in my account too.

I certainly didn't get sent to the back of the queue after payment -- I just got a screen that showed my order number with no items, no cost and no information other than it was "successful". Wasn't very convincing!
 
Joined
18 Mar 2007
Messages
465
Location
North Oxfordshire
To anyone who managed to checkout with PayPal and had money taken but got no order confirmation (like myself), I've just had this from Greatest Gathering via Messenger:

"Everyone who has paid by PayPal has tickets and they have the data to sort that out and issue tickets. PayPal issue is happening because the user, when requesting this payment option, is directed off the site and then returns to the back of the queue. The option will be removed for future buyers to avoid issue."

I was in this position, and ended up re-submitting the order from the Basket before receiving the above message. The second time it worked properly and I got the confirmation e-mail and saw the order appear in my Mortons account.
Have been advised by messenger that I'll need to contact Mortons for a refund of the duplicate payment.
At least with Paypal, there's always the option to raise a dispute.
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,697
Location
Derby
Blimey . People seem to be having fun... It wasn't like this at the Carriage and Wagon Open Days in 1978/1979.
 

nuneatonmark

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2014
Messages
491
Wasted hours today trying to buy one ticket. What a complete and total shambles, Mortons IT infrastructure is clearly not up to it, this is from someone with 38 years IT infrastructure experience. It was only 30k tickets!
 
Joined
4 Jan 2013
Messages
7
Location
Tunbridge Wells
Wasted hours today trying to buy one ticket. What a complete and total shambles, Mortons IT infrastructure is clearly not up to it, this is from someone with 38 years IT infrastructure experience. It was only 30k tickets!
I was thinking the same thing. It was running on AWS so you'd think they'd have anticipated demand and upped the resources to load balance a bit more
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,400
Wasted hours today trying to buy one ticket. What a complete and total shambles, Mortons IT infrastructure is clearly not up to it, this is from someone with 38 years IT infrastructure experience. It was only 30k tickets!
Probably set up based on one person a week making a magazine order
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,685
Location
Solihull
Yes no excuse these days, its not like you have to buy more servers and get them in which takes time, you can just change a setting in your AWS control panel.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,721
Location
Burgess Hill
That implies the application is scalable, though! I have personal projects running on various cloud providers, but none of my applications are inherently scalably just by moving a slider -- I'd only introduce more problems...
 

StephenHunter

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
2,947
Location
London
Yes no excuse these days, its not like you have to buy more servers and get them in which takes time, you can just change a setting in your AWS control panel.
So, the flower is green instead of yellow?

This might explain some of the problems with the Aventra...
 

Tallguy

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2011
Messages
405
I got my confirmation e mail about 1 minute after finishing the transaction. I also took a screen shot. Payment has gone through my card so hopefully I’m all set. See you on the Saturday.
 
Joined
4 Jan 2013
Messages
7
Location
Tunbridge Wells
That implies the application is scalable, though! I have personal projects running on various cloud providers, but none of my applications are inherently scalably just by moving a slider -- I'd only introduce more problems...
True, although I also have some cloud projects where you can literally just throw more resources at it.

In the end their recourse was to put it behind a Cloudflare queue system - which I've never seen before and seemed to perform about as well as the Windows file copy estimate...

estimation.png
 

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,234
Location
Kent
Looks like it's taking longer then expected to fix, the estimate on the websites gone from early next week to just next week. Hopefully they will say when it goes as I'll be annoyed after spending 6 hours in a virtual queue.
 

Travelmonkey

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2023
Messages
773
Location
The Midlands
True, although I also have some cloud projects where you can literally just throw more resources at it.

In the end their recourse was to put it behind a Cloudflare queue system - which I've never seen before and seemed to perform about as well as the Windows file copy estimate...

estimation.png
Nah that's just taking a trip up the M6,
 

kentrailman

Member
Joined
5 Nov 2019
Messages
129
Location
Kent
Perhaps they should have done a "soft launch" quietly releasing tickets a week or so before what seems to have been a media and publicity blitz instead of doing it all on the same day. ( although see my earlier post on page 2, they unofficially accidentally sort of did this !)
 

james60059

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2006
Messages
874
Location
Hinckley
The way things are going with the tickets, it looks like I'll be setting up camp on the London Road Bridge with my 600mm lens instead :lol:
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,400
Alstom have tonight tweeted the following:-


Due to overwhelming demand, our previous provider couldn’t cope, and we had to pause sales for #TheGreatestGathering.

We're now onboarding a new provider to handle the demand.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
Alstom are replacing Mortons as the ticketing provider. Tickets sold by Mortons will still be valid.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,400
Just when I thought things could not get any worse the verb "to onboard" makes an appearance! I suspect that means I was "offboarded" when I retired.
That’s the words of the modern day, we don’t have inductions anymore where I worked it’s all ‘onboarding’.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top