My friend always asks me this question and I can never find a satisfying answer.
There are signs around my local station and on the trains themselves (run by West Midlands Railway) saying a passenger must but a ticket before they board the train, if that's possible.
So, if there's a ticket office open they can buy a ticket beforehand. If the ticket office is closed, they must buy a ticket from the ticket machine, assuming it's working. (Or a Permit to Travel ticket, if that's the only option available).
I can understand that if the ticket office is closed (or there isn't one) PLUS the ticket machine is not working (or there isn't one), then it would be acceptable to buy the ticket on the train.
So my question is, why on many occasions have I seen a passenger buy a ticket on the train when I know that there was an open ticket office and/or a ticket machine they could have bought a ticket from at the station which they boarded the train?
Usually, the conductor just sells them a ticket, no questions asked. Or, the conductor asks why didn't they buy a ticket beforehand and they always say "I didn't have time to buy one", and they get away with it.
Admittedly, I was on a West Midlands Railway service a few months ago, and they did actually fine everybody who hadn't bought a ticket beforehand; but that was a one-off in my experience.
A further question would be - why does the conductor even carry around a ticket machine on a train when it's a certainty that every single station that the train calls at either has a ticket office that's open and/or a ticket machine that's working?
Obviously, if it's impossible to buy a ticket at a certain station beforehand, then the only option is to but one on the train, but surely the conductor knows which stations that applies to.
I can only think that there's a possibility that a ticket office may close unexpectedly, or a ticket machine may break down, so that's why the conductor carries a ticket machine. But surely, they shouldn't be selling people tickets on the train based on the claim that the passenger "didn't have time to buy one"?
There are signs around my local station and on the trains themselves (run by West Midlands Railway) saying a passenger must but a ticket before they board the train, if that's possible.
So, if there's a ticket office open they can buy a ticket beforehand. If the ticket office is closed, they must buy a ticket from the ticket machine, assuming it's working. (Or a Permit to Travel ticket, if that's the only option available).
I can understand that if the ticket office is closed (or there isn't one) PLUS the ticket machine is not working (or there isn't one), then it would be acceptable to buy the ticket on the train.
So my question is, why on many occasions have I seen a passenger buy a ticket on the train when I know that there was an open ticket office and/or a ticket machine they could have bought a ticket from at the station which they boarded the train?
Usually, the conductor just sells them a ticket, no questions asked. Or, the conductor asks why didn't they buy a ticket beforehand and they always say "I didn't have time to buy one", and they get away with it.
Admittedly, I was on a West Midlands Railway service a few months ago, and they did actually fine everybody who hadn't bought a ticket beforehand; but that was a one-off in my experience.
A further question would be - why does the conductor even carry around a ticket machine on a train when it's a certainty that every single station that the train calls at either has a ticket office that's open and/or a ticket machine that's working?
Obviously, if it's impossible to buy a ticket at a certain station beforehand, then the only option is to but one on the train, but surely the conductor knows which stations that applies to.
I can only think that there's a possibility that a ticket office may close unexpectedly, or a ticket machine may break down, so that's why the conductor carries a ticket machine. But surely, they shouldn't be selling people tickets on the train based on the claim that the passenger "didn't have time to buy one"?
Last edited: