Hi all,
I'm seeking advice on how to successfully appeal a penalty fare I received recently, as I believe the situation was unfair. Here’s what happened:
I had a return ticket booked from Huntingdon to Finsbury Park on Thameslink. However, due to a misunderstanding, I was dropped off at Peterborough station by mistake (I’m new to the UK and unfamiliar with the area). Since I had an important appointment in London and couldn’t drive back to Huntingdon, I decided to leave from Peterborough. At the station, I tried scanning my ticket, but it didn’t work. I realised then that I should probably ask an attendant for help and information, as I was unsure about what to do as I was at the wrong station (Huntingdon is one stop away from Peterborough). I asked an attendant if I could use the ticket I had and explained my situation. She looked at my ticket and told me it “shouldn’t be a problem,” and then manually opened the barrier to allow me through. She did not mention that I needed to purchase an additional ticket, and I (mistakenly) thought that my ticket was valid for all stops (that's how it works in my home country - I realise that this was wrong now).
During the journey, a ticket inspector scanned my ticket and said it wasn’t valid for the Peterborough to Huntingdon leg. He then took my details and issued a penalty notice, saying “I won’t charge you today,” but he didn’t give me the chance to explain the situation. I didn’t understand what was going on until he handed me the fine, even though I would have happily paid for the extra leg if I’d known that was an option. The entire time he was rude, terse, and did not really explain what was going on. I believe that he was being purposefully opaque, as if I had known I was receiving a fine, given the situation, I would have at the very least have tried to explain the situation to him.
I should add that I use National Rail to commute to work on an almost daily basis and have no issues paying for any leg of any journey - it was an honest mistake that was made worse by being given the incorrect information.
I've looked at the National Rail guidelines, and I believe there are two main issues with how this was handled:
Upon reviewing the National Rail penalty fare guidelines, I believe this penalty fare was issued incorrectly for the following reasons:
Does anyone have experience with appealing in a situation like this? I’d appreciate any advice on how to structure my appeal or if there’s anything specific I should include to increase my chances of success.
Thanks in advance!
I'm seeking advice on how to successfully appeal a penalty fare I received recently, as I believe the situation was unfair. Here’s what happened:
I had a return ticket booked from Huntingdon to Finsbury Park on Thameslink. However, due to a misunderstanding, I was dropped off at Peterborough station by mistake (I’m new to the UK and unfamiliar with the area). Since I had an important appointment in London and couldn’t drive back to Huntingdon, I decided to leave from Peterborough. At the station, I tried scanning my ticket, but it didn’t work. I realised then that I should probably ask an attendant for help and information, as I was unsure about what to do as I was at the wrong station (Huntingdon is one stop away from Peterborough). I asked an attendant if I could use the ticket I had and explained my situation. She looked at my ticket and told me it “shouldn’t be a problem,” and then manually opened the barrier to allow me through. She did not mention that I needed to purchase an additional ticket, and I (mistakenly) thought that my ticket was valid for all stops (that's how it works in my home country - I realise that this was wrong now).
During the journey, a ticket inspector scanned my ticket and said it wasn’t valid for the Peterborough to Huntingdon leg. He then took my details and issued a penalty notice, saying “I won’t charge you today,” but he didn’t give me the chance to explain the situation. I didn’t understand what was going on until he handed me the fine, even though I would have happily paid for the extra leg if I’d known that was an option. The entire time he was rude, terse, and did not really explain what was going on. I believe that he was being purposefully opaque, as if I had known I was receiving a fine, given the situation, I would have at the very least have tried to explain the situation to him.
I should add that I use National Rail to commute to work on an almost daily basis and have no issues paying for any leg of any journey - it was an honest mistake that was made worse by being given the incorrect information.
I've looked at the National Rail guidelines, and I believe there are two main issues with how this was handled:
Upon reviewing the National Rail penalty fare guidelines, I believe this penalty fare was issued incorrectly for the following reasons:
- Misleading Information by a Railway Employee: As noted in the guidelines (Page 11, Section 4), an authorized collector cannot charge a penalty fare if an employee acting on behalf of the operator indicated that the passenger was permitted to board the train. In this instance, the attendant at Peterborough Station indicated that it would not be an issue for me to board the train with my ticket, and thus, I boarded under the impression that I had authority to do so.
- Failure to Provide Adequate Explanation and Opportunity to Respond: According to Page 8 of the National Rail guidelines, passengers should expect to be spoken to clearly, to be given an opportunity to explain themselves, and to have the penalty fare process explained. None of these expectations were met during my interaction with the ticket inspector. He was unclear, abrupt, and did not offer me the chance to explain the situation in detail or provide alternative options, such as paying the fare for the portion I had mistakenly traveled without a valid ticket.
Does anyone have experience with appealing in a situation like this? I’d appreciate any advice on how to structure my appeal or if there’s anything specific I should include to increase my chances of success.
Thanks in advance!