That's true, Death. I went to Charleroi airport (Brussels South; actually equidistant between Brussels and the French Border, closer to France than Brussels in some directions), but Ryanair offered a 10 bus link (which is reasonable, considering the price of the flights) however the SNCB service is slightly cheaper (and probably more hastle if you have bags). Speaking to local residents, they use the train but the bus was better for the amount of bags I had at the time.
Generally speaking, I tend to research my destination airport(s) before flying to try and find the best value for onward connections. In the case of going to Hamburg, the VHH bus from Flughafen Lübeck-Blankensee works out to be the quickest and most cost-effective option - Especially when compared with catching a number 4 bus into Lübeck stadtzentrum, then taking an RB from Lübeck Hbf to Hamburg.
On the other hand; When I went to Finland at the start of the year, I found that - Insted of taking the Ryanair recommended route direct to Helsinki (At a cost of about 55,- return) - It worked out cheaper to catch the local bus into Tampere, and then an IC/IC2 between Tampere and Helsinki. 8)
A lot of the time it can vary - Sometimes the Ryanair route is cheaper, sometimes it's the most expensive - But it's always wise to get online, take a look at the airport's own website before departure, and research the various options for getting from Airport(B) to B.
Prestwick (for Glasgow) is the same; the rail station gets 2tph + services to Kilmarnock and Stranraer, and there's good buses to the city of Glasgow (although the train's the best option there). I've heard bad reviews about Beauvais (for Paris) being 50 miles outwith the city and the bus being rather expensive, though.
I don't know how far away from the centre of Glasgow PIK is (Personally, I wouldn't fly to anywhere within the UK except perhaps Northern Ireland - I try to avoid using air travel for journeys possible over land.

) but Ryanair don't
always fly to far flung airfields. When I went to Pisa for a week back in June, I found that Ryanair serve the main airport for the city...And Pisa city centre is only about half an hours walk away or so! 8)
One such example that I am aware of though is Frankfurt (Hahn) - Although I've never flown there myself, apparently the airport is about 180-200Km away from Frankfurt itself. On the other hand though, Oslo (Torp) airfield is a good 150Km south-west of Oslo itself, and I personally didn't find the last 150Km journey by road a problem!
