• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for rejected Avanti/Southern DR claim

bonegate

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2026
Messages
5
Location
Polegate
Dear RailUk forum users,

I was hoping a kind fellow could advise on how to proceed assisting a family member who travelled by train from Morecambe/Lancaster to Polegate on a thorough ticket via Eus/LU/Vic on 8th September.

Their original itinerary was a 1512 arrival into Euston, with a 1554 departure from Victoria to Polegate. Special assistance was booked, and although the short cross-London connection time was queried on booking, NR staff assured that the passenger would make their connection.

The AWC service was 9 minutes late into Euston, and due to demand for other assisted travel customers, by the time they reached the concourse they were not going to make the 1554 from Victoria. This service incidentally arrived into Polegate 38 minutes late at 1747.

Instead they rode the 1624, which was 15 minutes late into Polegate, arriving 1556. Delay replay claims with both Avanti and Southern have been rejected. Avanti stated the delay into Euston was less than 15 minutes so they could not pay. Southern stated that the initial delay in her journey was the fault of Avanti, so they should pursue the DR claim through them.

It seems like both OCs are passing the buck of blame somewhat. My understanding is that the OC that originally caused the delay, whether or not they provided the service to the final destination was responsible for payment? It is coincidental that both 1554 and 1624 Southern departures from Victoria were delayed (as is EVERY Southern service at the moment!)

Had the Avanti train arrived on time and assisted travel was prompt enough to escort the passenger to Victoria in time for the 1554, they still would have been 38 minutes late. And even though they took the 1624 which was only 15 minutes late, according to the printed itinerary connected with their ticket, their delay was a total of 47 minutes.

Since the DR claim window has now closed I shall be directing this towards the customer service email of the OC. But could a kind individual please advise as to who to address this too? Or was it in fact the responsibility of the assisted travel team at Euston who couldn’t meet her in time (I believe that falls under Network Rail?)

I thank you in advance for reading this article and any assistance you could offer.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,639
Location
LBK
Avanti are responsible and it is unambiguous. Has the time lapsed to appeal their decision?
 

bonegate

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2026
Messages
5
Location
Polegate
wow thanks for the very quick response AlterEgo. Yes according to ontimetrains.co.uk the time window has closed. In previous instances claiming via Southern after the window closes I have done so via comments@southernrail.co.uk. I’m wondering if there is a similar email to contract Avanti?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,356
wow thanks for the very quick response AlterEgo. Yes according to ontimetrains.co.uk the time window has closed. In previous instances claiming via Southern after the window closes I have done so via comments@southernrail.co.uk. I’m wondering if there is a similar email to contract Avanti?
Why has the time to appeal the rejection of the claim expired? So long as the claim itself was submitted within the permitted time I would have thought it was still ok.

Can you list the dates on what happened when with the claim?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,835
I thank you in advance for reading this article and any assistance you could offer.
Undoubtedly Avanti who are responsible. I would raise the matter with their customer relations team and emphasise the fact that the additional delay in providing booked assistance was a contributing factor (therefore a failure on two counts).

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Why has the time to appeal the rejection of the claim expired? So long as the claim itself was submitted within the permitted time I would have thought it was still ok.
I agree - I recently appealed a rejected claim several months after the initial decision, having completely overlooked the email. The claim was then accepted.
 

bonegate

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2026
Messages
5
Location
Polegate
Many thanks, yes you’re quite right I’ve just seen the rejection email and it states it’s possible to appeal until 3rd November. There was a delay in awaiting their decision too. So would you recommended going through that portal or sending an email direct to AWC customer relations? And yes I’ll state the delays in assisted travel compounded the problem, but ultimately regardless of the late running Southern service AWC have failed to honour the passenger’s original itinerary and therefore the responsibility of 30-59mins delay lies with them?
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,653
Location
Greater Manchester
Many thanks, yes you’re quite right I’ve just seen the rejection email and it states it’s possible to appeal until 3rd November. There was a delay in awaiting their decision too. So would you recommended going through that portal or sending an email direct to AWC customer relations? And yes I’ll state the delays in assisted travel compounded the problem, but ultimately regardless of the late running Southern service AWC have failed to honour the passenger’s original itinerary and therefore the responsibility of 30-59mins delay lies with them?
Try appealing first, if you go to the Customer Relations team they will probably just tell you to appeal first.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,356
Many thanks, yes you’re quite right I’ve just seen the rejection email and it states it’s possible to appeal until 3rd November. There was a delay in awaiting their decision too. So would you recommended going through that portal or sending an email direct to AWC customer relations? And yes I’ll state the delays in assisted travel compounded the problem, but ultimately regardless of the late running Southern service AWC have failed to honour the passenger’s original itinerary and therefore the responsibility of 30-59mins delay lies with them?
When preparing your appeal I suggest putting a draft of it here before you submit it so that people here can help finesse it to maximise the chance of a successful outcome.

This assumes avantis appeal form actually permits the ability to explain things. Some rail companies make that difficult. I’ve not used Avanti’s myself.
 

bonegate

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2026
Messages
5
Location
Polegate
Thank you, so helpful! Draft coming shortly. Under the drop down menu for reason for delay, would it be missed connection? Avanti’s tardiness ultimately caused the 1554 ex Victoria to be missed
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,831
When preparing your appeal I suggest putting a draft of it here before you submit it so that people here can help finesse it to maximise the chance of a successful outcome.

Good advice, for example......

The AWC service was 9 minutes late into Euston, and due to demand for other assisted travel customers, by the time they reached the concourse they were not going to make the 1554 from Victoria. This service incidentally arrived into Polegate 38 minutes late at 1747.

Instead they rode the 1624, which was 15 minutes late into Polegate, arriving 1556.

.....I assume you mean arrived 1756?
 

Top