This subject keeps cropping up!
Erm, is that OK? I'm not sure you can get a TPE train as they are bookable;
But, as we've established before in countless previous topics, this is not documented anywhere. It appears to be an urban myth. Yes it
may be the intention of ATOC (but different people within ATOC have differing views and interpretations on a wide variety of issues anyway) and yes it is the opinion of some rail staff, but show me anything that says that and then I'll take note!
therefore a non-booked ticket mightn't be valid? The reason that you have a non-booked connections portion is because your schedule is for a Northern Rail train.
I could of course be wrong here but I'd have presumed that was the case?
OK, I book a ticket from Clapham Jn to York, with a suggested service leaving at 1124 to Waterloo.
I get to Clapham Jn and see that there are two 1124 trains. The one on platform 10 is a couple of minutes late, but the one on platform 7 is on time, so I get on it. Now, if what you think is true, the guard can come up to me and ask to see my reservation. I don't have one. So what happens then? That train is reservable. Is a normal customer able to know that? Not easily no!
There is no rule saying you can't get a reservable train and it has simply been made up, and on some of the occasions that this topic crops up, it gets repeated. I believe it's a myth.
OK, this is interesting for me. I have a reserved Barrow-in-Furness to Manchester ticket for 27/12, to depart on the Northern Rail 12:18 service to Lancaster and catch the 13:26 TPE to Picadilly. I only have a ten minute connection time in Lancaster and the Northern Rail leg is un-reserved; if I'm willing to put up with an hour's wait in Lancaster could I get the 11:25 TPE service to Preston out of Barrow to Lancaster?
I believe you can. But the guard may at first suspect you are attempting to get an earlier train, as in your particular scenario the earlier train is actually going to your final destination! If you explain you are getting off at Lancaster the guard should accept it, in my opinion. However unless you urgently need to make that connection I wouldn't inconvenience yourself waiting for an hour. It looks a bit dodgy, but I believe it is valid.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is you connection reasonable not to be viewed as a break? Yes
?????
I don't understand the relevance of this.
A "break of journey" is leaving railway premises, there is no definition of time involved. If you exit the station for even one minute, that's technically a "break of journey". You can stand at a station all day and it's not a "break of journey" (see National Rail Conditions of Carriage for definition)