• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Access from National Rail to the Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
On the subject of long walks - although this time as a pure tube connection, I recall one occasion a few years ago when I arrived at Bank on the DLR wanting the Northern Line to get to Moorgate. Usually that would just be, up the stairs that connect the Northern and DLR platforms, but this was in the rush hour so one-way system in operation which as far as I could tell from the signs prevented me from just going up the stairs. I dutifully followed the signs along a long corridor/escalator and ended up at Monument! Had to walk back to Bank along the other one-way passageway between the stations. To this day I'm not quite sure if that really was the only route available or whether I missed some alternative allowed route. Wasn't happy with the experience anyway.

Hopefully once the Bank rebuild is complete, long interchanges there will be a thing of the past.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
On the subject of long walks - although this time as a pure tube connection, I recall one occasion a few years ago when I arrived at Bank on the DLR wanting the Northern Line to get to Moorgate. Usually that would just be, up the stairs that connect the Northern and DLR platforms, but this was in the rush hour so one-way system in operation which as far as I could tell from the signs prevented me from just going up the stairs. I dutifully followed the signs along a long corridor/escalator and ended up at Monument! Had to walk back to Bank along the other one-way passageway between the stations. To this day I'm not quite sure if that really was the only route available or whether I missed some alternative allowed route. Wasn't happy with the experience anyway.

Hopefully once the Bank rebuild is complete, long interchanges there will be a thing of the past.

Yes - there are some tube-tube short-cuts between the old lines in central London - eg the odd un-signposted spiral staircase between Picc and Northern at Leicester Sq and so on. I can't remember them all now, but I always know them when I see them! Must be "in my blood" as a long-time Londoner...
 

urbophile

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2015
Messages
2,482
Location
Liverpool
I suppose the way the Circle Line runs now doesn't help. Next month I have to get from Paddington to St. Pancras and, unless I want to change at Edgware Road, I'll have to use the H&C line platforms which means, as far as I remember, a longer walk.
Query: do the terminating Circle Line trains all use the same platform at Edgware Road? When it was a circle, the two west-facing bay platforms were used indiscriminately by Wimbledon trains. I wonder if now, Wimbledon trains always use one and Circle the other? If the latter always used the northernmost platform it would make cross-platform interchange for those travelling eastwards a doddle.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Query: do the terminating Circle Line trains all use the same platform at Edgware Road? When it was a circle, the two west-facing bay platforms were used indiscriminately by Wimbledon trains. I wonder if now, Wimbledon trains always use one and Circle the other? If the latter always used the northernmost platform it would make cross-platform interchange for those travelling eastwards a doddle.
IIRC they do try and use a standard platforming, but what it is I don’t know anymore. I think a few years ago someone reported that it had changed and it was now the District terminator that was best for eastbound cross platform changes.
 

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
Query: do the terminating Circle Line trains all use the same platform at Edgware Road? When it was a circle, the two west-facing bay platforms were used indiscriminately by Wimbledon trains. I wonder if now, Wimbledon trains always use one and Circle the other? If the latter always used the northernmost platform it would make cross-platform interchange for those travelling eastwards a doddle.

There is supposed to be a routine division between which platform is used for which - and the signage suggested that when I was last there (though the indicators can cover all eventualities). I believe it started off one way round when the line was de-circled, but was subsequently switched round.

I believe the idea is that more people arriving from the east who need to change will be wanting a District than a Circle, so Wimbledon trains are adjacent. And perhaps Circle are terminated adjacent to the eastbound through platform so as to minimise hassle for those coming round the Circle would wouldn't have had to change in the old days?

But it remains the case that it's now strongly advised that Paddington mainline arrivals wanting to go clockwise should go to te H&C [and Circle] platforms, not to the District and Circle ones, even though that's more of a trek from low-number platforms arrivals especially. (Though made up for perhaps by a more frequent service on the H&C branch since the Circle change.)
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
The steady growth in passenger numbers over the past 25 years has given a general need for more circulating space, longer trains and platforms. Far greater attention has been given to things like emergency egress since the King's Cross fire. Many stations have more platforms and/or lines above or below ground. Access to lifts has had to be fitted in, one-way systems introduced to manage passenger flows, separation of facilities over mezzanine decks. The list goes on.

So the basic answer to the OP's question is "often, yes" - for good reasons.

There is also another factor for some of us, that we might walk more slowly as we get older. :)
One exception to this must be London Waterloo. It is quicker to use the subways on the platforms but except during the morning and evening peak, they are closed. This is station peaks as opposed to ticket ones.

Prior to the introduction of station barriers, they were open for longer.

In addition to this on platforms 11 and 12, they introduced the back end of the commercial unit, which hinders access to the subway from one of the two platforms. I forget which one. Obviously, the hindrance only applies during the peaks.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
‘So much further’ is less than 100 metres, all of which is through much less congested areas than Pre rebuild, and with more escalator assistance to get you to platform level. And when you get to platform level you are more likely to be able to board the train at peak times, as rather than being at the back along with all those who boarded at Charing X and Waterloo East, you are further up.
Well, I just missed a train the other day because the escalators were blocked by two people standing. Playing devil's advocate that wouldn't occur on a ramp as you have to walk.

I want aiming for any particular train but as I was there at the time I was, I would have otherwise got it.
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
Well, I just missed a train the other day because the escalators were blocked by two people standing. Playing devil's advocate that wouldn't occur on a ramp as you have to walk.

I want aiming for any particular train but as I was there at the time I was, I would have otherwise got it.
I'll use the stairs instead of escalators if I'm in a rush catching trains in my commute.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,941
Well, I just missed a train the other day because the escalators were blocked by two people standing. Playing devil's advocate that wouldn't occur on a ramp as you have to walk.

I can assure you it routinely happened on the ramps at London Bridge. If you were heading up when a previous train had kicked out it was often single file up the ramp, and you went at the speed of whoever was slowest. If it was a pensioner with a shopping trolley, tough, and there was simply no way past and you were taking an extra minute or so.

meanwhile, on an escalator, a simple “excuse me” usually does the trick.
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,663
I suppose the way the Circle Line runs now doesn't help. Next month I have to get from Paddington to St. Pancras and, unless I want to change at Edgware Road, I'll have to use the H&C line platforms which means, as far as I remember, a longer walk.
If I was coming off Great Western mainline services you want to be nearer the middle of the train, actually being at the front arriving at Paddington doesn't actually help you anymore, then use the bridge to egress the station for the H&C platforms.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
It certainly was when trains from Greenford ran to Paddington and were a double ended single car.
Didn't the Greenford trains arrive at platform 14? If so, that platform is shorter and the bufferes are almost opposite the long footbridge for quick access to the H&C platforms.
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,307
Location
Lewisham
For example at London Bridge what used to be a relatively simple change now feels like a long slog?
And that is if you can find the new entrance.
A lady once asked me where the entrance was, she must have been 2m away from it.
I wonder if it has been signposted better now? I try and avoid London Bridge anyway.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Accessing the Vicky line at Victoria has been longer since the large upgrade, although around the same for exiting the Underground: they have 3 down escalators and 3 up escalators together, where the up ones are almost right next to the platforms at the base and at the barriers at the top. On the other hand the down escalator leads to a long walk through a separate walkway, which I imagine is almost certainly to avoid overcrowding.

Isn't it quicker to access the Vicky line platforms going via the sub surface platforms and using a shortcut to bypass the new walkway?
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I can assure you it routinely happened on the ramps at London Bridge. If you were heading up when a previous train had kicked out it was often single file up the ramp, and you went at the speed of whoever was slowest. If it was a pensioner with a shopping trolley, tough, and there was simply no way past and you were taking an extra minute or so.

meanwhile, on an escalator, a simple “excuse me” usually does the trick.
Indeed excuse me does and I eventually did that but too late in this case.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'll use the stairs instead of escalators if I'm in a rush catching trains in my commute.
That seems sensible. I was with someone else so didn't.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Isn't it quicker to access the Vicky line platforms going via the sub surface platforms and using a shortcut to bypass the new walkway?
No idea but it certainly used to be quicker in the rush hour before they expanded the circulating area.

I regularly did that in the morning if I was heading to Euston.
 

Non Multi

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2017
Messages
1,192
Didn't the Greenford trains arrive at platform 14? If so, that platform is shorter and the bufferes are almost opposite the long footbridge for quick access to the H&C platforms.
The footbridge that linked platforms 13 (now closed) & 14 to the H&C platforms was permanently blocked off for passenger access when the H&C station was rebuilt a decade ago. You'd need to walk round via the former taxi cab road to get to the Tube platforms.
 

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
Where can I find the station layout maps of all underground stations, like this?
tumblr_mk33j4eZ7P1qz4vjro2_r1_1280.gifv


The website says:


Hong Kong's MTR has the layout maps for all stations posted on its website, similarly for National Rail which are very handy when I'm heading to an unfamiliar station and decide I should be at the front, middle or back section of a long train.

And has anyone compiled a list of all walking times for every sensible interchange in the Underground / National Rail network in London that can be used for journey planning purpose?

Two points.

This KX map is a bit unclear in that it's hard to see there's a little stairway connecting the "southern" end of the Vic platforms with the "southern" end ot both the Picc and Northern - ie it's a one-minute interchange between those lines, with no need to go up to the (old) ticket hall and down again. (Let alone to hike a mile almost via the new ticket hall!!)

The NR diagrams of stations are very schematic, and quite misleading with stations where the platforms aren't all nicely lined up next to on another! Try getting your head round Shipley, for instance, from the NRE-provided "map"!!
 

dastocks

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2021
Messages
281
Location
Hove
Isn't it quicker to access the Vicky line platforms going via the sub surface platforms and using a shortcut to bypass the new walkway?
Yes, there's a signposted route accessed from a separate gate-line on the sub-surface concourse. It's more direct and usually less busy than the new route from the Victoria Line concourse but there is a long-ish staircase.

If you're coming from the 'Sussex' mainline platforms it's quicker to cross the bus station at ground level rather than via the subway.
 
Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Yes - there are some tube-tube short-cuts between the old lines in central London - eg the odd un-signposted spiral staircase between Picc and Northern at Leicester Sq and so on. I can't remember them all now, but I always know them when I see them! Must be "in my blood" as a long-time Londoner...
There is no spiral staircase at Leicester Sq, there are two ‘dog-leg’ passageways with a straight flight of stairs, one going from the headwall of the Westbound Picc to the tailwall of the Northbound Northern, and another from the headwall of the Southbound Northern to the tailwall of the Eastbound Picc. Both are most definitely signed from their respective platforms, although if you’re at the opposite end it’ll take you toward the long subway.
 

Dstock7080

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2010
Messages
3,535
Location
West London
There is supposed to be a routine division between which platform is used for which - and the signage suggested that when I was last there (though the indicators can cover all eventualities). I believe it started off one way round when the line was de-circled, but was subsequently switched round.

I believe the idea is that more people arriving from the east who need to change will be wanting a District than a Circle, so Wimbledon trains are adjacent. And perhaps Circle are terminated adjacent to the eastbound through platform so as to minimise hassle for those coming round the Circle would wouldn't have had to change in the old days?
Indeed when the pan-handle Circle was introduced terminating trains used pfm.2 adjacent to the eastbound H&C platform.
This was swapped a few years ago (2018 possibly) so that District trains normally use pfm.2.
However at times of disruption this goes out the window and services use either ‘wrong’ platform, with the driver only finding out on the immediate approach.
 

ashkeba

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2019
Messages
2,171
Where can I find the station layout maps of all underground stations, like this?
tumblr_mk33j4eZ7P1qz4vjro2_r1_1280.gifv
That map appears to be missing the escalators from the KX departure hall and to/from King's Boulevard. I am not sure what else may be missing.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
That map appears to be missing the escalators from the KX departure hall and to/from King's Boulevard. I am not sure what else may be missing.
It’s pre-2010 according to the item about lifts in the key. It probably reflects work in progress rather than the completed project.
 

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
There is no spiral staircase at Leicester Sq, there are two ‘dog-leg’ passageways with a straight flight of stairs, one going from the headwall of the Westbound Picc to the tailwall of the Northbound Northern, and another from the headwall of the Southbound Northern to the tailwall of the Eastbound Picc. Both are most definitely signed from their respective platforms, although if you’re at the opposite end it’ll take you toward the long subway.

Ah yes - I must be thinking of another of the central station interchanges where's there's a little unsigned staircase ... I must figure out which one!
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,163
Location
JB
Spiral staircase would suggest Piccadilly Circus, linking the Piccadilly line with the Northbound Bakerloo. It is signed, but only once you reach it.
 

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
I know the Victoria Line stations are despised by the design profession for having plain paving slabs on the platforms instead of some elegant terrazzo, and such like, but for practicality give me that every time.
Do you have a source for this?
 

Railcar

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2017
Messages
298
At Victoria, to avoid the long signed route to the Vic line: From the NR platforms, come down the East Sussex stairs, across the old ticket hall, ahead and down the corridor to the District & Circle, go through the gateline on the right at the end of that corridor and down onto the Outer Rail platform. On your right are stairs leading down to escalators which take you to the Vic line platforms. Not a good route if you are disabled or have bulky luggage.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,321
Do you have a source for this?
Surely. All the descriptions in the architectural press around the year 2000 when the JLE opened, and they went on about "dreary grey walls" at stations, and "utilitarian paving slabs" for the platform surfaces - when they were getting their design awards for something which made the passengers walk twice as far, and cost four times as much. Try Architects' Journal for then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top