railfan99
Established Member
Two years ago, I'd been thwarted in an attempt to include the Strathspey Railway in the itinerary due to a rail strike, so it was good on a Sunday morning to be on Aviemore platform 3 soaking up the atmosphere.
46464, a relative steam youngster built in 1950 was the loco hauling a six car train.
We departed at 1015, on time, with 39 passengers. 37674 and D3605 were noted at the loco depot.
At Boat of Garten (1033-45), the loco took water. It was lovely to observe the upper quadrant semaphore at the station's down end.
A downside was no food on sale: overall, this preserved railway was a fail on catering - no hot food at any station, unlike many English preserved railways that excel in that department.
One day recently, the railway had 260 passengers use it: a contrast to the day I was travelling.
After ten minutes at the terminus, we arrived back at Aviemore at 1157 hours.
I watched a ScotRail HST depart at 1240 and joined the 1245 hours preserved railway departure to get my money's worth.
At Boat of Garten (1300-13), I quickly walked to the general store/post office and obtained sustenance.
We were back at Aviemore by 1425. This preserved railway was pleasant though not scenically spectacular. Staff were good: happy to chat but not overbearing.
46464, a relative steam youngster built in 1950 was the loco hauling a six car train.
We departed at 1015, on time, with 39 passengers. 37674 and D3605 were noted at the loco depot.
At Boat of Garten (1033-45), the loco took water. It was lovely to observe the upper quadrant semaphore at the station's down end.
A downside was no food on sale: overall, this preserved railway was a fail on catering - no hot food at any station, unlike many English preserved railways that excel in that department.
One day recently, the railway had 260 passengers use it: a contrast to the day I was travelling.
After ten minutes at the terminus, we arrived back at Aviemore at 1157 hours.
I watched a ScotRail HST depart at 1240 and joined the 1245 hours preserved railway departure to get my money's worth.
At Boat of Garten (1300-13), I quickly walked to the general store/post office and obtained sustenance.
We were back at Aviemore by 1425. This preserved railway was pleasant though not scenically spectacular. Staff were good: happy to chat but not overbearing.