• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A UK and European excursion from the colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
This is a long trip between mid October 2024 and the end of November 2024.

Forgive me if some small details are incorrect. I won't claim to know every UK class of locomotive or railcar ('unit') but hopefully I correctly write most place names and scheduled train times.

The journey began on Philippine Airlines from Melbourne to Manila. This was an A330-200 wet leased from Spanish charter operator Wamos Air as like many airlines, PR ('PAL') has an aircraft shortage. We departed three minutes eraly t 0727 hours, arriving in the Philippine capital at 1240 hours, 35 minutes early due to the usual padding of airline schedules.

After two comfortable nights in an hotel near Terminal 1 of NAIA airport, I travelled to Terminal 3 and having booked a separate, cheap business class ticket on Etihad (EY), enjoyed the not overly impressive PAGSS lounge. The B789 aircraft departed 10 minutes early at 2330 hours, arriving Abu Dhabi next morning 27 minutes early at 0413 hours. Two meals were served on this part of the journey. I slept well.

I'd deliberately chosen a lengthy layover due to the afternoon flight to London Heathrow being an Airbus A380 double decker, so enjoyed the lounge including a shower and whatever food one desired. This airport terminal is very new. Walking to the lounge took time as the route from my arrival was indirect.

The next flight saw departure a whole four seconds early at just before 1405 hours. The crew on this leg were unimpressive, lacking friendliness but being in business class made up for that. Arrival in London was just over half an hour late at 1915 with a huge number of passengers from other flights creating a rugby scrum as we all approached Heathrow T4 immigration.

Fortunately I had prebooked the T4 Premier inn so I was soon in the land of Nod.

The rail journeys were about to begin...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
Next morning I rose bright and early and joined the 0600 hours Elizabeth line train bound for Abbey Wood from T4. A surprising number of passengers joined en route though from Heathrow there weren't many, probably because hardly anyone would be through immigration before 0600 given the curfew.

Paddington arrival was 0634 hours.

I then used the Circle line (travelling in coach 74376) to Edgeware Road where I joined a Hammersmith & City Barking-bound train, arriving Kings Cross at 0720. From memory this wasn't the most efficient route to take in changing between these London termini.

I then settled into Great Northern's set 387111 that departed from platform 9 at 0742 hours, arriving Cambridge at 0843, a whole two minutes late. This train was poorly patronised but most patrons would be travelling to London at that hour.

At 0853, I departed on Greater Anglia's 720561 that was quite well patronised, arriving Ely at 0910 hours, bang on time.
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
It was raining and due to trackwork, rail replacement coaches were operating.

I placed my fairly heavy suitcase near a bus 'bin' but the driver didn't seem to want to load it. I believe from others' experiences this is common in the UK, unlike many other countries. Eventually she helped me lift it into the coach, which had three seats behind the driver (most other seating was 'high deck') so occupying one of the former, I had a good chat with the driver. She was a teacher who did coach runs as a second job.

Progress was slow due to some single lane roads with plenty of traffic, the Brandon stop being at 1016-17 prior to arrival at Thetford at 1034 where "oh joy of joys" the 1035 hours to Norwich was not held, which I thought was very poor. The couple of (casuals?) staff at the bus stop outside the station said they had no way of knowing how the rail replacement coach was running, but this seemed spurious as coaches can report in to bus companies' depots who in turn could be contacted by phone by rail staff.

So I lugged my suitcase over the footbridge (also carrying a nine kilogram backpack) and waited along with 11 others for the next train to Norwich in about 40 minutes.

We then received advice that this next service would depart from the platform adjacent to the coach stop. A very kind other passenger helped me lug my suitcase (in rain) back again over the historic (and no doubt beautiful) footbridge.

There was a GA staff member in the ticket office as well as the (casuals) outside at the bus stop. Why didn't the ticket office lady know earlier that the next train would depart from the platform next to the coach stop?

This was not a good start, but fortunately an isolated incident.

At 1135 hours, 15 passengers at Thetford joined GA 912405. I alighted at Wymondham at 1157 that I learnt that day (to much amusement from a staff member) is pronounced 'Wyndham'. Ignorant Australian!
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
It was then what would normally be a delightful walk via the town and skirting the Church of England premises to the Mid Norfolk Railway station at Wymondham Abbey, but was a bit of self-inflicted slight pain given my heavy goods load. Totally my own fault but I had to do this on the first day as much travel lay ahead.

Volunteers at the Abbey station were welcoming.

I paid a bargain GBP10 for a single to East Dereham. 142061 was the two-car 'unit'. It was only in fair condition. We departed at 1246. From memory two others also joined at the Abbey (with dog) and there were several others on board for a pleasant trip through the countryside. Arrival at the current terminus was at 1321, a whole minute late.

The East Dereham station was well presented: a credit to the volunteers.

I settled in a comfortable seat at the station cafe, ordering food that took longer than I'd banked on to arrive, so I had to leave some uneaten. That was my fault not the cook's.
 
Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
Having gobbled some of my food and admired the attractive cafe with its friendly volunteers - there was also a new Guard undergoing training who came in for a break, great to see - I took advice and quickly walked with suitcase and backpack around to the bus stop where after about five to 10 minutes I joined a route 8 double decker bus operated by Konect for the princely sum of GBP2.

En route, we picked up many prospective nightcluvbers ranging in age from (at a guess) 16 to 30, mostly young ladies dressed for that activity. The driver was kept very busy issuing tickets: as it was for me, cash seemed to be passengers' preferred payment method. I thought a few might have what the UK calls season tickets. We ventured onto some very pleasant looking streets with large houses at Norwich where after a stop at the bus station, I was deposited outside the railway station at 145.

I quickly joined the 1500 hours train (720005 being the unit) to London Liverpool Street where arrival was 10 seconds before the advertised 1647 hours. Excellent punctuality, and without having every seat occupied, many on the train. I do wonder if anyone ever purchases from the shop in (if I recall) coach C.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,670
I then used the Circle line (travelling in coach 74376) to Edgeware Road where I joined a Hammersmith & City Barking-bound train, arriving Kings Cross at 0720. From memory this wasn't the most efficient route to take in changing between these London termini.
Agreed, you might have been better off catching a train from the H&C line platforms at Paddington, which you access via the bridge in the middle of the mainline platforms. But you need to know about this before you have walked all the way to the platform exits at the front of the platform. Once you are there, it is a long walk back to the H&C platforms, particularly if you are carrying heavy luggage.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Agreed, you might have been better off catching a train from the H&C line platforms at Paddington, which you access via the bridge in the middle of the mainline platforms. But you need to know about this before you have walked all the way to the platform exits at the front of the platform. Once you are there, it is a long walk back to the H&C platforms, particularly if you are carrying heavy luggage.
If you are coming off the EL, changing at Farringdon onto Thameslink is a lot easier.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,670
I placed my fairly heavy suitcase near a bus 'bin' but the driver didn't seem to want to load it. I believe from others' experiences this is common in the UK,

The couple of (casuals?) staff at the bus stop outside the station said they had no way of knowing how the rail replacement coach was running, but this seemed spurious as coaches can report in to bus companies' depots who in turn could be contacted by phone by rail staff.
Some drivers are more helpful than others....

In the UK, it is illegal to use a mobile phone when driving, and I am not sure that many buses have built in hands free devices (particularly some of those used as RRBs) so the driver would not be providing regular updates on their position. Usually the RRBs are provided on call-off contract from depots sometimes from a totally different part of the country. Once they arrive on site, they will be allocated duties by the local coordinator. So even if their home depot can track them, they won't know what they are doing.

The local coordinator should have a reasonable idea of where the buses under his or her control are. However, that is not much help if the coordinator is not where you are.
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
The next 'London terminals" (love the terminology!) transfer was on the Circle line (coach 24485) from Liverpool St at 1658 hours to Kings Cross, arrival being at 1706.

Here I joined an Azuma (slack: railcar number not recorded) in car M at the rear, departing on time at 1730 hours. I had not reserved a seat but had no trouble finding me.

While not typically something I eat in the afternoons or for dinner, I enjoyed the 'buttery hot' crumpets. We significantly diverted from the ECML due to trackwork, passing Lincoln at 1919 and Gainsborough L Rd at 1936 but because it was dark I couldn't fully enjoy the new trackage. Arrival at a busy Doncaster (is it ever quiet?) was at 2001 hours where I transferred to another Azuma (801233) that arrived Darlington at 2111 hours for a blissfully short walk to my hotel.

Tomorrow would be a suitcase-free day.
 
Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
Sunday was forecast to be rainy.

I boarded an Azuma at 0828 hours for the 10 minute trip to Northallerton, observing 185128-185123 stopping en route to Saltburn (0914-15) while I waited for the minibus.

Seven passengers including me joined the latter at 0936. This was the Sundays only 'Wensleysdale Flyer'. Very good that it operates.

I alighted at a very wet Leeming Bar at 0948 hours and walked the short distance to the Wensleydale Railway's nicely restored station.

I was the only passenger on the 1000 hours departure that was 143623. This Pacer was in better condition than the Mid Norfolk Railway's example on which I'd travelled. We arrived Leyburn at 1040, a minute early, with no one else having joined en route. The railcar seemed to ride OK, probably better than on the Mid Norfolk Railway. Let's hope WR can eventually restore its most scenic section that's been out of use for some time.

The station cafe was open and pleasingly, another eight passengers joined me for the 1100 hours timetabled trip that was away two minutes late. We arrived Leeming Bar at 1144, three late where being a glutton for punishment I joined the 1200 hours departure that had far better patronage: 27, which I thought was excellent considering the poor weather. We were back at LB by 1412 hours, a minute late.

Loco 33035 formed the 1430 hours to Leyburn that had two dining cars and had only a few empty seats in one of those two cars, though not many 'regular' passengers.

The minibus departed at 1540 with two off at LB and one other already on, so I was back at Northallerton by 1549, joining 802218's Car E, a CrossCountry train that left at 1628, arriving Darlington at 1639, on time.

Note the so far very good timekeeping on the main lines.

An enjoyable day despite poor weather, especially since that Sunday was the last scheduled operating day for the Wensleysdale Railway in 2024 apart from Christmas specials.

It can be hard for overseas visitors to fit in preserved railways in October given limited operating days. Again, totally my fault for not timing a visit to the UK for (say) September when preserved railways may operate more regularly.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,883
Location
Cambridge
The next 'London terminals" (love the terminology!) transfer was on the Circle line (coach 24485) from Liverpool St at 1658 hours to Kings Cross, arrival being at 1706.

Here I joined an Azuma (slack: railcar number not recorded) in car M at the rear, departing on time at 1730 hours. I had not reserved a seat but had no trouble finding me.

While not typically something I eat in the afternoons or for dinner, I enjoyed the 'buttery hot' crumpets. We significantly diverted from the WCML due to trackwork, passing Lincoln at 1919 and Gainsborough L Rd at 1936 but because it was dark I couldn't fully enjoy the new trackage. Arrival at a busy Doncaster (is it ever quiet?) was at 2001 hours where I transferred to another Azuma (801233) that arrived Darlington at 2111 hours for a blissfully short walk to my hotel.

Tomorrow would be a suitcase-free day.
LNER’s First Class offering used to be fantastic under Virgin Trains East Coast, so it’s infuriating that they now consider two 39p crumpets to be an adequate substitute for what might have been lamb shank or bœuf bourgignon not long ago.

They also run the ECML not WCML. The WCML is under the thumb of Avanti West Coast :)

Nice read!
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
A Monday morning saw me join LNER Azuma (again) but in this case 802203, departing Darlington at 0818 with a two minute signal check meaning that was the lateness arriving in York at 0851. A number of LNER white colear managers seemed to be on the train, as they were discussing a meeting to be held at York.

I then used my 1st class Global Eurailpass to visit the LNER lounge at York, as my next train was another Azuma booked out at 1002 to Grantham. The lounge was fairly busy, not that it's large.

We left the home of the National Railway Museum at 1003 hours with my passenger counts including 60 plus joining at Retford (1039-41) and an amazing 120 plus at Newark Northgate (1053-56). Apparently, the large numbers joining were due (partly) to other trains running late. I did not walk down and inspect standard class but it must have been very busy, although the staff did not (as you say in UK) 'declassify' 1st.

We arrived Grantham on time at 1106 which I thought good given the high numbers travelling.

The station staff here were courteous. Little was I to know that my legs would come in for some use on the next leg...
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
Waiting on the platform, there were a significant number for the branch line train to the holiday haven of Skegness. I found out later it was a mini school holiday period.

I didn't record the East Midlands Railway three-car unit number - quite slack as I joined it all the way to the terminus.

To use an expression from the prison colony, the train was 'chockers' - full and standing.

I was among the many who had to stand, as did mums with prams and children in tow. We departed Grantham at 1129 with about 30 joining an already very busy train.

The branch was extremely interesting from an operational point of view with semaphore signals, signal boxes also controlling level crossings and historic stations. However it was challenging for me to observe this, weighed down by my standee status that came with suitcase and backpack to look after.

At Sleaford, 12 more joined and five alighted.

The windmill at Heckington (1202 hours) looked very attractive.

The major station of Boston (1219-20) saw six join and five plus leave us. There was also a canal lock to take careful note of.

At Wainfleet two more joined before Skegness arrival at 1255 hours where after battling the crowd (just kidding: I was just about last off), I found a taxi to my cosy guesthouse.

I thought Skegness quite pleasant. A 'W' pub was absolutely packed for lunch. I gather it's often like this.
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
The next morning I recorded the 'unit' as '417' that may not be the whole description. The station staff closed the platform gate until a few minutes before (to allow ticket checking by the guard/conductor) but allowed me through earlier to take photos of the lovely semaphores. Much appreciated!

The 0818 hours train departed two minutes late with about 20 passengers. Just before Heckington we had to wait for a down train to clear the station. At Sleaford, 19 joined while there'd been many others also patronise the service from other stations.

We reversed at Grantham (arrival being at 0951, seven minutes tardy) where another 60 joined. Nottingham arrival was at 1028 hours, nine minutes behind schedule.

It was terrific to see the Skegness branch line so busy with not just holidaymakers but 'commuters'. No threat of a c.2025 Dr Beeching repeat one would think.
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
Still on a Monday, 170102 formed the 1107 hours from Nottingham that departed bang on the knocker.

We left Worcester Parkway two minutes late at 1300 hours but arrived Gloucester three minutes early at 1323 hours. An uneventful but enjoyable trip.

I checked into an historic hotel and didn't do much else apart from visit a Tesco Express. It was great to be free of the suitcase.
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
The next day was one of many highlights. Initially I joined two-car 166219 on a very lightly patronised 0854 hours train to Cheltenham Spa where arrival was at 0904 hours.

The next train was much better loaded CrossCountry 170116-170113 that left CS at 0921 back to Gloucester with arrival at 0931. This was one of the benefits of a Global Eurailpass: just jump on and off at will.

I then met @paul1609 who joined me on 197050, a two-car Transport for Wales unit that left Gloucester at 0931 hours, arriving Lydney at 0958 also bang on time.

What was happening to the much mooted cancellations and significant late running, I asked myself?

We then walked the short distance via attractive scenery to Lydney Junction, admiring the historic photographs in the waiting room established by the Dean Forest Railway. A pleasant setup. One other prospective passenger also mooched about.
 
Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
Pannier Tank BR-liveried 9861 arrived at 1112 hours and ran round its five car train.

The fornt two cars were reserved for road coach parties. Good to see.

We departed a minute late at 1130 hours, soon passing St Mary's Halt and pausing at Lydney Town 1134-36 before a much longer stop at bi-level Norchard where we were held from 1143 to 1156 hours due to one of the aforesiad coach parties being delayed.

Arrival at Parkend was at 1209. There were heaps of children on (from memory) an 'Excursion Day' simulating what it was like for kids sent off to the rural areas during World War II. They were excited.

Many gathered on the footbridge to watch the loco taking water: we subsequently pulled out at 1229. @paul1609 and yours truly alighted at Norchard at 1241: the train left at 1251, but we were too busy lunching.

We then travelled from Norchard (depart 1330, 12 late) to Parkend where the stop was from 1344 to 1402. The adjoining park with its wagon display was an attractive feature.

We arrived Lydney Junction at 1440, only a minute late. The Pannier tank performed faultlessly as far as non-technical me could judge.

Three car unit 197120 formed the 1453 from Lydney two minutes late to arrive Gloucester at 1523, six late, so it was then beer o'clock time at a 'W' pub that was a former picture theatre. (A year ago, I'd been in an even more ornate 'W' pub at Stafford that had a similar history. Good on Sir Tim for restoring these.)
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
The Dean Forest Railway was another example as to how England leads the world in heritage railway preservation. Germany may be #2 but I've only been on one preserved steam line near Dresden.
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
The next day, a Thursday, saw me catching the three-car 170102 at 0849 from Gloucester, arriving Cheltenham Spa at 0857. A quick connection to Stagecoach Line D ensured, leaving at 0901. Cheltenham Spa was definitely more historic than Gloucester. Beautiful public and private buildings, many upmarket terraces and homes - quite magnificent.

Arrival at Cheltenham Park'n'Ride was at 0922 where I walked down to the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Steam Railway. The walk was advertised at 750 metres but it seemed much longer - perhaps 1.2km.

The station cafe opened at 1000 hours so I purchased an expensive hot chocolate: GBP3.10. The sttaion staff were very friendly and showed me the railway's large range of Edmondson tickets. While I understand for statistical and revenue purposes most heritage railways have gone over to thermal tickets for those who don't purchase online, the Edmondson ticket is appropriate for the era and so it was great to see these in use here. I purchased a rover ticket .

Steam loco 35006 arrived tender first at 1035 hours pulling five coaches that were very well patronised, with quite a large further number joining at the Cheltenham Racecourse terminus. The station was attractive and as many would know has two lengthy platforms. Again, as at Dean Forest Railway, there were children mimicking 'evacuation day'.

We departed at 1056, a minute late, and at Winchcombe (1119-31) crossed the three-car historic DMU that arrived at 1126. This was its last day on G&WSR before heading for another railway. Broadway arrival was at 1157 with departure after the engine ran round, at 1216 on a warm and sunny day. I alighted at Toddington at 1231 and patronised the quite new G&WSR large cafe 'The Cotswold Halt' adjacent to the station. The staff/volunteers were efficient: I sat outside in the sun enjoying a pastie.

The next train to take was the DMU (51563-59510-51405) that pulled out at 1338, and was then at Broadway from 1351 to 1406, crossed 35006 steam at Winchcombe (1436-39) and arrived Cheltenham Racecourse at 1500 hours where I completed my journey.

I sat in the front seat of the DMU that brought back memories of racing along the Cornish main line on these or similar railcars on my first visit to England in 1993. Splendid.

G&WSR was an excellent heritage railway. Perhaps one day it will again connect to the 'real railway'.

The bus departed the Park'N'Ride at 1531 and picked up many passengers along the way, arriving Cheltenham railway station at 1558 after encountering moderately heavy traffic en route.
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,468
Location
Exile or exile
I quickly joined the 1500 hours train (720005 being the unit) to London Liverpool Street where arrival was 10 seconds before the advertised 1647 hours. Excellent punctuality, and without having every seat occupied, many on the train. I do wonder if anyone ever purchases from the shop in (if I recall) coach C.
Small point - it would have been 745005, as 720s come in /1 and /5 subclasses, and don't usually go to Norwich. It did very much confuse me when I first went there, with only the last three numbers to help me, so you are by no means alone!

I'm not a great connoisseur of heritage railways - I definitely need to do some more exploring of them at some point - so it's great to read your experiences of them, both the more "traditional" ones with steam locomotives and the Mid-Norfolk with its Pacer. Glad to see that at least one place is in touch with my generation :lol:
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
It was now a Thursday afternoon at Gloucester given I caught the five car 800007 (Cross Country) from Cheltenham Spa in a slow 13 minute trip 1653 to 1706.

There had been a trespasser, so that accounted for how it took me 55 minutes from arrival of the bus to departing on a train. Both platforms at CS were packed.

As one example of the delays, the 1552 hours scheduled XC eight car units to Penzance departed at 1645 after a very long six minute stop at Chelt.

I rushed 800 metres to my Gloucester hotel, collected my suitcase and with also my trusty backpack slowly headed back to the station.

At 1739, I departed on the 1715 hours five car Great Western Railway train to London Paddington where arrival was at 1921 hours on platform 2. There was a scrum waiting behind the barriers as it appeared this set was forming the 1933 hours to Worcester Shrub Hill.

I then used the Hammersmith and City Line in car 24357 to transfer to Euston Square (1941 to 1950, so efficient). I can't say I especially enjoy transferring terminals in London with a suitcase and backpack.

It's easy to criticise as I don't know all the impediments to installing lifts at every Tube station but I found the lack of these at some major Tube stations way behind best practice overseas. I did not enjoy hauling the suitcase over footbridges or up stairs at some locations.

It was time to prepare for the 'Caledonian Sleeper' that would hopefully be a relaxing journey all the way to destination X...
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
...read your experiences of them, both the more "traditional" ones with steam locomotives and the Mid-Norfolk with its Pacer. Glad to see that at least one place is in touch with my generation :lol:

Thank you for the correct class. For simpletons from the convict colony it can be difficult to get one's head around such intricacies.

Don't forget I also travelled on the Wensleydale Railway's Pacer. Both it and Mid Norfolk need our support: I have donated moolah to the former, so please visit in your own good time and purchase a ticket.
 
Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
The 'CS" was a 16 car train.

It was very poor that having bought a 'classic' sole use sleeping berth and in possession of a Global 1st class Eurailpass that I wasn't allowed entry to its lounge. I also tried using the other 1st class lounge but when the staff member found out I was travelling on the 'CS', I wasn't allowed in, different to a year ago when no questions were asked.

Even more annoying was that staff chatted among themselves as the advertised boarding time of 2030 hours came and went. 10 to 15 minutes later, the gates opened. It doesn't create a good impression to corral passengers perhaps taking a once only journey like this. Why can't passengers wait on the platform?

92023 was the horse, hauling a 16 car train.

My sleeping compartment was small. Eventually (with zero help from a staff member who I asked about it once the train was underway) I managed to move the annoying, stupidly placed ladder closer to the window.

There was hardly room in the compartment for my large suitcase.

I bought a GBP1 apple juice drink from the dining car and enjoyed it: strangely, there was hardly anyone else eating or drinking despite the train being well patronised. Unlike the other staff member, the lady in the dining car was helpful and efficient.

I had a restful sleep (unlike a year ago) and awoke to the Scottish Highlands, ever serene and misty/mystical.
 
Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
On a Friday morning, it was indeed delightful to wake by Arrochar and Tarbet (0712-14, five late).

By Bridge of Orchy (0816-18), we were on time with arrival at Fort William six minutes early at 0954 hours, no doubt with some recovery time baked into the timetable. I did not write down what our two locos were.

The 1140 hours to Glasgow was two-car 156476.

My next train was the 1213 hours from Fort William that departed eight minutes late with 156477-156492 so a four car railcar. As many will know, it's a most pleasant journey to Mallaig. (45407 had been on 'The Jakobite' in platform 2 at Fort William, and I was to also see it at Mallaig). I felt just a tinge of smugness knowing how little on a Eurailpass I'd paid for the day's travel compared to the Jakobite extortionate fares. Much as I admire Black 5s it's better to 'get' them on a heritage main line tour for say GBP115 in slum class.

We arrived the latter at 1346 where I visited the Co-op for a mediocre lunch.

The same train formed the 1604 hours back to Fort William, where arrival was six late at 1733 after crossing a down two-car unit at Glenfinnan (1651-57).

After a fish'n'chips meal, I retired to my hotel satisfied with my second visit to these attractive lines.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Seems to be going well overall so far!

Small detail - 800007 is definitely not XC but a GW Hitachi unit - same type as you then travelled on to Paddington.

Euston Square is due a rebuild as part of the preparations for HS2, but meanwhile TfL do publish a step-free/accessibilty guide to their system which you might find helpful next time you are over.
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
Euston Square is due a rebuild as part of the preparations for HS2, but meanwhile TfL do publish a step-free/accessibilty guide to their system which you might find helpful next time you are over.

Great. I am sure others would also find it useful as a guide to the Tube. I can just manage to haul a 23kg suitcase up stairs but it is hard work, especially with a 9kg backpack also being carried.
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
It was now Saturday and so I joined the 1140 hours Fort William to Glasgow Queen Street that departed two minutes late with 156457.

Having read much about ScotRail cancellations and delays, I was slightly nervous but we arrived in the 'big smoke' at 1534 hours (nine minutes late) at platform 2 after an uneventful journey. There had been more than 20 join the train at Crianlarich.

I joined electric 385037-385014 and had almost a whole car at the front to myself, one of the joys of moving away from the entrances at terminal stations.

I alighted at the magnificent Stirling station at 1636. Many were travelling from here to Edinburgh, presumably for a night out on the tiles or whatever took their fancy,

The architecture was stunning and beautifully restored once one was inside the station. An unexpected highlight.

Azuma 800108 was the next conveyance, departing Stirling two minutes late at 1721.

At Gleneagles (173-38), car M was not on the platform.

There was a broken down train ahead of us so we halted at Perth (not in Western Australia!) from 1753 to 1816 when we were thankfully able to resume travel. A ScotRail HST on the up passed us at 1810 hours.

We conveyed passengers off the broken down ScotRail train so when we arrived at Aviemore at 1949 hours, 26 late, more than 50 passengers alighted. Fortunately my hotel was adjacent to this historic weatherboard station.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top