• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

450 Bashing Help??

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Guest
Note, the 350s are not 450s in different livery... they have quite a fair few technical differences.

Come and view them on a PROPER railway. :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
you'll travel in a hst but not a 442, ther the same fu*king coach!

To be fair, out of choice i won't travel on a skoda but will do sevens on MkII/IIIs, coach is irrelevant.
Ask those who do anything, eg deltics, whether they'd do 475xx on the same train "cos its the same coach"...
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
That was a complete laugh! good fun, WSXfan i really dont understand you, you'll travel in a hst but not a 442, ther the same fu*king coach!

You think you look clever with that bit of swearing?

442s are nothing compared to a HST. The 442s do not thrash (all I heard in the things was a lot of creaking, as if they were about to fall apart), they are slow, they are, quite frankly, boring!

HSTs, on the other hand, thrash. They clag. They scream. They are FAST. But most of all...They are COMFORTABLE!

Whether the HST trailer vehicles and the 442s have the same basic bodyshape and whatever is not relevant. As 87015 says, it isn't the carriages (coaches is such an American term!) that you do the bashes in! I don't do HSTs because they use MK3s!

Besides, I didn't raise the topic of 442s this time Steven. You did. Like you did last time...I'm sick of you raising arguments about 442s all of the time. I consider them, as well as 222s, to be inferior traction. I view them as unnecessary evils of the world. That's my view of those two classes. The fact that 442s are now gone is reason to celebrate from my point of view.

Can we PLEASE not have to debate this again? It's getting boring putting the same points across every time!
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,714
Location
London
Two things:

442 seats are actually very nice...
Secondly HSTs dont run Weymouth-Waterloo so Desiro or 442!
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
if you do come down South Nath, you are likely to find any desiro on any SWT service the Portsmouth Area Resignalling means there are 444s on stopping services from Portsmouth to Southampton and 450s on services that should be 444s.
My experiences trying to commute in to Portsmouth suggest that Desiro reliability is nothing like its supposed to be. Its quite common to see SWT staff bashing 444s and 450s (its the only way to get the doors to shut!).
Apparently 458s are even worse and 3 450s have had to be sent up to Wimbledon to cover shortages.
 

nath9425

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2006
Messages
759
Location
Milepost 84 Chiltern Mainline
Oh that dont sound good! Like WSXFan said the 442's Do sound a bit cronky, and If you have to hit a door to close it then something must be going wrong! Im not too keen on 458's either there the same as the 442's Ugly Things! Thats why I like a HST Or a Desiro! The HST Just Glides along and the Desiro just squeaks!
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
Simple answer to a simple question. Don't bash a 450.

BUT If you HAVE to, the bash the loop (Waterloo - Waterloo) Then bash one on the longer runs they are taking over on...
 

Jim

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,490
Location
Wick
You think you look clever with that bit of swearing?

442s are nothing compared to a HST. The 442s do not thrash (all I heard in the things was a lot of creaking, as if they were about to fall apart), they are slow, they are, quite frankly, boring!

HSTs, on the other hand, thrash. They clag. They scream. They are FAST. But most of all...They are COMFORTABLE!

Whether the HST trailer vehicles and the 442s have the same basic bodyshape and whatever is not relevant. As 87015 says, it isn't the carriages (coaches is such an American term!) that you do the bashes in! I don't do HSTs because they use MK3s!

Besides, I didn't raise the topic of 442s this time Steven. You did. Like you did last time...I'm sick of you raising arguments about 442s all of the time. I consider them, as well as 222s, to be inferior traction. I view them as unnecessary evils of the world. That's my view of those two classes. The fact that 442s are now gone is reason to celebrate from my point of view.

Can we PLEASE not have to debate this again? It's getting boring putting the same points across every time!

1)A 442 clags, ever seen some nice sparks before?

2)The creeking is the suspension I belive, also heard on a 150, but you don't hate them do you?

3)StePHen is how sir 960012's name is spelt

4)Ever heard the "Air Suspension Leaks" on a HST, awful, sound like someone has trapped a dog in the bog!

5)442's were fast electric wise for there time, no other EMU had ever had 100MPH offically before that to my knowledge

6)I find a lot of thinks borring, like 150's, 156's but I don't go on about it every time it is mentions

7)442's screem thanks, unlike HST's soon if the MTU crap carrys on
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
3)StePHen is how sir 960012's name is spelt

It looks like he'd spell it stephen, not Stephen.

Anyway 442s do scream... sort of.

442 doors are unreliable, sometimes need a good push to get them to open. 444s are better but still at stations like Ashurst sometimeshave a little trouble.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
1)A 442 clags, ever seen some nice sparks before?

That is NOT clag! That's sparks! Not the same thing!

2)The creeking is the suspension I belive, also heard on a 150, but you don't hate them do you?

Never heard a 150 creak

3)StePHen is how sir 960012's name is spelt

Change here for Pedancy Central...Please mind the gap when stepping off this high horse.

4)Ever heard the "Air Suspension Leaks" on a HST, awful, sound like someone has trapped a dog in the bog!

Oh yes, many many times. Makes them unique. I like the sound!

5)442's were fast electric wise for there time, no other EMU had ever had 100MPH offically before that to my knowledge

THEIR time. Boo-hoo. Their time has come, it has gone, it has left the station and entered the scrapyard. There is much better stock out there these days. In fact, there is stock that surpasses stock that was around before the 442s.

6)I find a lot of things boring, like 150's, 156's and so forth, but I don't go on about them every time they are mentioned.

I find so many mistakes in that sentence...156s have to be the thrashiest class of DMU there is! I have to correct your sentence...There, that is much better!

7)442's screem thanks, unlike HST's soon if the MTU crap carrys on

Where's the scream in the 442s? Never seen or heard any out of them.

As for the HSTs, yes they will be scream-less soon enough with FGW and GNER. More reason to go travelling with GC and MML!
 

Craig

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2005
Messages
3,958
Location
Newcastle
THEIR time. Boo-hoo. Their time has come, it has gone, it has left the station and entered the scrapyard. There is much better stock out there these days. In fact, there is stock that surpasses stock that was around before the 442s.
So Mk3's should be scrapped too? They are based on the same design after all.
 

Dennis

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2005
Messages
2,676
Location
Trowbridge
Let's not forget the original brief of this post - there are a couple of 'oldies' going along as well who may not appreciate screaming HST's etc - Desiros are certainly a civilised means of transport which although not favoured by enthusiasts are certainly suitable for 'normal' parents. The question really is where to go on them....

Something like a trip to Alton for the MHR might be an idea - Desiro bash or 458 if your lucky or possibly even a 159 or 450 to/from Woking. Plenty of other ideas at http://website.lineone.net/~hantshistory/museums.html.

Alternatively, head off to somewhere like Harwich on a 360.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,487
Location
Yorkshire
£100 budget? you should be able to get up to Scotland and back for that, one way on the sleeper, and back on a GNER HST, and various stuff in between!!
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
Why bash SWT ones? bash somthing a little closer to home, class 350s work on the WCML on weekdays and 360s work on ONE GE out of London Liverpool street and Heathrow connect out of London paddington.
 
T

Tom

Guest
Because SWT are a proper railway. ;)

Besides Oxford - Reading is only about 15 mins (458s)
then to Basingstoke is about 20 minutes (444s, 450s)
 

Guinness

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Messages
3,736
Come and view them on a PROPER railway. :D

Any Railway that's not in the South?

350s are actually the same as 450s just slightly different modifications for the type of Job. 2+3 Layout in 450s than 2+2 in 350s and full 25kV operations on 350s.
 

nath9425

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2006
Messages
759
Location
Milepost 84 Chiltern Mainline
They do all sound very Interesting but with 10 days till departure I think I might either be going to London and doing alot of trains round there! I dunno! But this is a very interesting convo! Im liking the debate! But Im not too sure Im going to do a 450 Bash now! It takes forever with station stops!
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
HST air suspension leaks sound rather more like a dog with asthma, if you ask me.

And yer main difference between a 350 and a 450 is the seating and I believe the catering point on a 350. Not much in it otherwise.
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
HST air suspension leaks sound rather more like a dog with asthma, if you ask me.

And yer main difference between a 350 and a 450 is the seating and I believe the catering point on a 350. Not much in it otherwise.

They both have 3+2 whilst 350s have 2+2 seating. Also 360s don't have tables.
 

Kris

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2007
Messages
565
450 bashing? The crews and the passengers will lend you a sledgehammer! :lol: :whax:
 

nath9425

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2006
Messages
759
Location
Milepost 84 Chiltern Mainline
After Much debate with my parents I have come to a decsion. I am going to Portsmouth on a Train to see the big Navy ships! I will be Travelling on Saturday the 24th February, and I also recalling lots of Desiros in that area! Plus a great price for 2 adults one child on a Family Railcard comes to £50.80! Great Value or what! I will thoroughly enjoy my birthday on the 25th! I might even have enough money to get a new computer that will run Train Sims perfectly!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys thorougly appreciated!

:wav:
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
Yeah but I can hope for 450's Can't I?:snorting:

No; you will get 450s; a 444 would be a bonus.

I notice they're sending a slow Fratton - Eastleigh service and then joining with the semifast Southampton - Waterloo trains on 24th due to the engineering works at Petersfield/Haslemere, does this mean we might see some 444 + 450 operation?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top