• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

444/450 ASDO introduction into passenger service

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
Supposed to start tomorrow, from what I heard a couple of weeks ago.

I thought maybe a thread to record people's observations or discoveries?

Internal PIS displays on a 444 I was on today were flashing 'Coach 3 of 5' alongside the time of day this afternoon.

Didn't see how it worked alongside the normal calling pattern display, as train was diverted after Cobham to Havant, so I guess there was no PIS code to use?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
Started today. The coach number is displayed whenever there is nothing else the PIS is displaying at the time. Not many units have had the PIS update to display the coach number yet though.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
Started today. The coach number is displayed whenever there is nothing else the PIS is displaying at the time. Not many units have had the PIS update to display the coach number yet though.

Is the flashing, about 1 sec each on/off, going to be the normal mode of display do you think?
 

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
I doubt anything can be as irritating as SN's version!

This for us is going to be fun as well, we're on a learning curve just as much as Joe Public will be tomorrow.

We've had issues today with detachments and attachments, which can be a tad confusing at times, so it would be appreciated if you could be a little more patient than usual, once we get the hang of things it will be all back to normal again. (Hopefully!).:roll:
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
Is the flashing, about 1 sec each on/off, going to be the normal mode of display do you think?

When I was on the test ASDO train the coach number was displayed pretty constantly, certainly not flashing on and off.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
When I was on the test ASDO train the coach number was displayed pretty constantly, certainly not flashing on and off.

OK then, something to look out for I guess.

Just to explain my original post further, (cos it wasn't too clear), the time part of the display was rock steady at the left hand end just as you'd normally see it.
 

Via Bank

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2010
Messages
761
Location
London
I was informed by the Guard on my morning train to London that it had been turned on 'as of three hours ago.'

Nothing on the PIS for me, although that's not surprising. Many Guards turn it off anyway because it doesn't handle portion working very well.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
Probably the case that the unit didn't have the PIS update yet. Due to engineering works today there would have been a lot of services the PIS was unable to display anyway.
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
Probably the case that the unit didn't have the PIS update yet. Due to engineering works today there would have been a lot of services the PIS was unable to display anyway.

Is there no option to set a custom calling pattern, or to terminate short? I've been on diverted services that did the calling patterns correctly *, but one terminating short at Clapham Junction had no PIS in use.

* Reading were calling at Clapham Junction, Hounslow, Feltham, then as normal. Windsor were calling at Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Putney, Barnes, Chiswick, Brentford, Hounslow, then all stations.​
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,674
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I was informed by the Guard on my morning train to London that it had been turned on 'as of three hours ago.'

Nothing on the PIS for me, although that's not surprising. Many Guards turn it off anyway because it doesn't handle portion working very well.

Interesting, as I find the LM version (which I'd have thought was the same software) seems to handle portion working just fine.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
Is there no option to set a custom calling pattern, or to terminate short? I've been on diverted services that did the calling patterns correctly *, but one terminating short at Clapham Junction had no PIS in use.

* Reading were calling at Clapham Junction, Hounslow, Feltham, then as normal. Windsor were calling at Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Putney, Barnes, Chiswick, Brentford, Hounslow, then all stations.​

No, the system only works on the services it has been set-up with. Some diversionary routes are available. London Waterloo-Weymouth via Guildford is another which the PIS can handle. I believe the system will handle starting short, but not terminating short. The only manual option is just a manual entry on the PIS screens, which is often used for the destination when the PIS can't display the whole service.
 

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
No, the system only works on the services it has been set-up with. Some diversionary routes are available. London Waterloo-Weymouth via Guildford is another which the PIS can handle. I believe the system will handle starting short, but not terminating short. The only manual option is just a manual entry on the PIS screens, which is often used for the destination when the PIS can't display the whole service.

If it doesn't work correctly then you're told PIS OFF. :lol:
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
Example this afternoon.

1T37 1427 Eastleigh to Fareham 12.450

Eastleigh displays and announcements reflecting front 6 cars only at Botley and Portchester, all the usual 8 car stops (i.e. everywhere else bar the 2 Portsmouth stns).

ASDO in operation, shown by the guard not operating from the cabs as they used to, however no apparent change to onboard displays. So no coach numbers yet alongside the time on these displays.

Question therefore, how can they get into a situation where the TMS is updated so that the ASDO works, but the PIS isn't? Are the two systems not upgraded together?
 
Last edited:

Bigfoot

Established Member
Joined
2 Dec 2013
Messages
1,425
Pis takes lots longer to update. The asdo update is relatively quick in the grand scheme of things. Up to 2 weeks for the Pis to be done on all units.
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
Given that the 444s have wifi available to customers could the system used for the wifi be used to allow updates of the PIS on 444s?
 

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
Doubt it, I would suspect that it's done via the normal old fashioned serial cable and laptops, that I've seen fitters/tech's carry.

Although they can download stuff from the OTMR remotely, so I would have thought that it would be upload stuff to the units, en-masse as they did the fleet's TMS software PDQ.
 
Last edited:

ChampsRacing

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2007
Messages
269
Location
London
We've actually been told not to use the PIS and to use manual announcements until the 12th October when most or all units should have the Upgrade.
 
Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
Seen a few modified units running around, it seems quite odd seeing coach X of X on the internal display modules. It's also quite funny (not in the humorous sense) to see the odd number of coaches open 6 or 7 at Liss for example.

I'm surprised that it seems to have settled in so quickly, with so few glitches. Just needs some tweaks on the TMS to eliminate some spurious faults.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
One thing I wonder is why IC has stuck with coach letters, while regional seems to be having coach numbers. Would it not be better to standardise?

Letters for reservations and numbers for SDO or splitting and joining? IF SWT actually did reservations on 444s for example, A-E would logically always be one way round, but 1-5 would be from front to back in direction of running...
 
Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
Letters for reservations and numbers for SDO or splitting and joining? IF SWT actually did reservations on 444s for example, A-E would logically always be one way round, but 1-5 would be from front to back in direction of running...

The problem is then you potentially have two of each, especially if you go to Bomo and divide.

I heard that one unit had a bit of an off day today and got removed from service due to ASDO issues. Still early days, I'm still a little sceptical about it, but we'll just have to wait for it to bed in and those behind the scenes to iron out those pesky glitches when they show up.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
The problem is then you potentially have two of each, especially if you go to Bomo and divide..

There must have been a solution back when SWT did reservations on 10 cars. I never used one myself though, I guess someone must know...

I do remember seeing a 9 car 159 set with letters right through the train, they would have used the perspex holders in the door windows.
 

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
There must have been a solution back when SWT did reservations on 10 cars. I never used one myself though, I guess someone must know...

I do remember seeing a 9 car 159 set with letters right through the train, they would have used the perspex holders in the door windows.

Off to the naughty step with you, right this instant for daring to come up with such a simple & sensible solution. :lol:
 

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
2,362
Location
Portsmouth
We've actually been told not to use the PIS and to use manual announcements until the 12th October when most or all units should have the Upgrade.

We've been told different!

My first ASDO train was a disaster, I had a unit with a train management system fault which kept interfering with the correct operation of ASDO!
 
Last edited:

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
2,362
Location
Portsmouth
No idea, I a tail gunner;) Blocking the UF at Wimbledon for ten minutes in the peak was fun though!
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
My first ASDO was basically fine.Got into the unit to prep it and it displayed coach numbers throughout from the LE @ Waterloo.Then got in CE and it switched the coach numbers round,coach one being nearest where EP key was inserted.Although approaching Woking it announced be in the front ten although we had five on and for Winchfield be in the front seven even though we still had five on.Worked fine.Second unit we had just basically released the right amount of doors @ Shawford and Swaythling.(Same as the first)

As I noticed on here seems the second unit didn't have the full upgrade.
 
Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
There must have been a solution back when SWT did reservations on 10 cars. I never used one myself though, I guess someone must know...

I do remember seeing a 9 car 159 set with letters right through the train, they would have used the perspex holders in the door windows.

The 458/5s have coach letter for the SDO. The coach letters are all reversible so can be changed as required. You could do similar for 444s if reservations were required.
 

antharro

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2006
Messages
712
Spotted this on the 1950 BMH-WAT on Sunday. Was going to post on here about it but forgot! The guard was announcing the doors on the first eight carriages would open at Clapham Junction (as opposed to the usual 5). DMIs were slowing Coach x of 10.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top