But presumably the 05.30 flight to Frankfurt doesn't sound a horn as it goes over and noise is kept to a minimum? I wish I could still be in bed at 05.30!
Well, of course it doesn't. But it's still noise that wakes people up. My point was that noise does happen and you have to learn to live with it. It's considered necessary for the operation of various facilities that ultimately benefit the public. In this case, although I am awoken by the plane I don't complain because I realise that it is a necessity.
Whilst I do have sympathy being awoken by noise, it seems to be the case that the trains need to sound their horn for operational and safety purposes. Network Rail behave like good neighbours as best as they can, and do ask drivers to keep noise to a minimum. But operational safety comes before noise regulations, and so it should.