• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

377 fire at Eastbourne (28/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Aha - didn't think of that! Just talk is usually of "shunters" and you kind of need one to pull the carriages apart!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Aha - didn't think of that! Just talk is usually of "shunters" and you kind of need one to pull the carriages apart!

Well, maybe, but the thing is, even with multiple units which are usually in fixed formations, that's not necessarily the case. Provided you have a driving cab available on the part of the train being moved, sufficient brake force, traction power and compressor availability, you may be able to move some if not all parts of the train around, though you might need to isolate some safety systems to do so. So one might expect shunters to mean locomotives, but in this context it could be more likely to mean people who are qualified to carry out the movements once authorised.
 

Class455

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2016
Messages
1,519
Rvq95NA.jpg

Bloody hell! That looks like a bad fire! I wonder how the carriage is going to be repaired? They might have to move it by road to Derby or haul the whole unit. I don't think they can fix that at Selhurst, unless a team arrive from bombardier to fix it. But as others have said, it would be better to form a temporary 377/3 while the damaged TOSL (i believe it is 78642) is being repaired, and just use it on Metro services.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Nope, above 1kV to about 35-38 kV is Medium Voltage, above that is High Voltage.

It depends on which standard you use. The outfit I work for uses 35 kV.

So would the voltage trains operate at on OHLE be classed as medium voltage?
 

hwl

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
8,266
Bloody hell! That looks like a bad fire! I wonder how the carriage is going to be repaired? They might have to move it by road to Derby or haul the whole unit. I don't think they can fix that at Selhurst, unless a team arrive from bombardier to fix it. But as others have said, it would be better to form a temporary 377/3 while the damaged TOSL (i believe it is 78642) is being repaired, and just use it on Metro services.


Fire bridge pulled down the ceiling panels rather than that being fire damages
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,036
Location
Newhaven
They just passed through Lewes without 377442 - heading to Clapham Yard by the looks of it.

Wonder what the problem was...
They were scheduled to work back to clapham yard after the drag to selhurst. Perhaps after further investigation the unit cannot be moved by rail? Maybe electrical issues resulting in inability to use the dellner couplers?
 

RichardKing

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2015
Messages
565
Wonder what the problem was...
They were scheduled to work back to clapham yard after the drag to selhurst. Perhaps after further investigation the unit cannot be moved by rail? Maybe electrical issues resulting in inability to use the dellner couplers?

I just passed the unit in Eastbourne Sidings and the only change that I noticed was that the broken window on the right has been taped up. It didn't look like they've tried to move it at all - it's still sitting at the top of road number 4.
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,036
Location
Newhaven
I just passed the unit in Eastbourne Sidings and the only change that I noticed was that the broken window on the right has been taped up. It didn't look like they've tried to move it at all - it's still sitting at the top of road number 4.

Seems a bit far fetched to bring a pair of 37s down to tape up a window :lol:
I guess its a wait and see thing. Hopefully they come back to drag it
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It has been brought to my attention that there is a problem relating to the connection between the 37s and the 377.
 

RichardKing

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2015
Messages
565
;)
Seems a bit far fetched to bring a pair of 37s down to tape up a window :lol:
I guess its a wait and see thing. Hopefully they come back to drag it
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It has been brought to my attention that there is a problem relating to the connection between the 37s and the 377.

Perhaps it was brining down some special Govia tape! ;) I'll keep an eye on RTT for further moves.

Did they only find that out last night?
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
as others have said, it would be better to form a temporary 377/3 while the damaged TOSL (i believe it is 78642) is being repaired, and just use it on Metro services.

The amount of cancellations Southern are experiencing they arent exactly short of units at the moment compared to other franchises....
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,036
Location
Newhaven
Yes must have done. Another movement attempt is expected to take place next week. I doubt any more will happen now, theyll probably need the 37s for the 375 move on Friday night and Saturday
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
Wonder what the problem was...
They were scheduled to work back to clapham yard after the drag to selhurst. Perhaps after further investigation the unit cannot be moved by rail? Maybe electrical issues resulting in inability to use the dellner couplers?

I thought that all automatic couplers could have the electrical connector retracted to just do a physical connection only. Maybe it's down to damage to something the TMS sees as a major fault and so perhaps not allowing the brakes to be released
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,066
Is there an emergency air supply connector? and if so, are there any leaks and is the air connector/valve still intact.

I suppose without a working air system and therefore brakes, the speed the consist would be limited to would mean that it would cause too much disruption to run at the speed allowed with everything but the loco's brakes disabled.
 

RichardKing

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2015
Messages
565
I suppose without a working air system and therefore brakes, the speed the consist would be limited to would mean that it would cause too much disruption to run at the speed allowed with everything but the loco's brakes disabled.

If that is the case, next Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday would be the best time to move the unit as there'll be no Southern services will be operating because of the ASLEF strike.
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,036
Location
Newhaven
Hopefully next Wednesday because I am 'working' from home XD
By the quotation marks I mean I will ne flexible with my lunch break and take it during the period of rog operation
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
If that is the case, next Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday would be the best time to move the unit as there'll be no Southern services will be operating because of the ASLEF strike.

Now that would just be taunting the poor commuters :P
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,036
Location
Newhaven
Another attempt at the drag tomorrow
Please can anyone advise me if Lewes station will be open for platform access seeing as there will be no services at all?
I plan to see the drag there if it runs
Thankyou :)
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Another attempt at the drag tomorrow
Please can anyone advise me if Lewes station will be open for platform access seeing as there will be no services at all?
I plan to see the drag there if it runs
Thankyou :)

You can photograph from the footbridge just past the signal box if the station is closed.

I don't understand why it's booked to run via Lewes...
 
Last edited:

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,036
Location
Newhaven
You can photograph from the footbridselhursast the signal box if the station is closed.

I don't understand why it's booked to run via Lewes...

Eastbourne to selhurst via lewes is quicker than Eastbourne to selhurst via Hastings reversal
Thankyou I will look at Lewes as I want to get the rhtt too :)
 

RichardKing

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2015
Messages
565
After venturing into the sidings, 377442's rescuer is now sitting in Eastbourne, platform 1, with red signals on all lines (obviously, no trains running today/tomorrow because of the strikes).
This probably means that the move will be tomorrow afternoon (according to RTT, at midday).
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
You can photograph from the footbridge just past the signal box if the station is closed.

I don't understand why it's booked to run via Lewes...

Which other way would you run it?

I would have thought that would be the natural way to run it, and nothing else will be operating along much of that route, so why not? :lol:
 

alb1

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2015
Messages
51
If anyone was planning on watching proceedings from midday, RTT suggests things have started earlier than originally planned.
 

RichardKing

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2015
Messages
565
If anyone was planning on watching proceedings from midday, RTT suggests things have started earlier than originally planned.

It's currently in the Glynde area.
I assume there is quite a limited speed at which it can be moved at - it's appears to be taking a lot longer than usual to get from Polegate to Southerham Junction!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top