• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2020 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,679
Location
Solihull
It's good isn't it? CNN promoting opinion over news before the election meant I avoided them but their coverage of the polling itself and their opinions of the giant man baby after his obvious loss is great to watch. And John King is doing great stuff at the magic wall!

I particularly enjoyed one of the correspondents describing the tweets of Trump's children (or "spawn" as he called them) as "rantings written in crayon".
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,910
I particularly enjoyed one of the correspondents describing the tweets of Trump's children (or "spawn" as he called them) as "rantings written in crayon".

I think he was describing the Speculative Ideas sub-forum...
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
I hope and pray the transition will not be messy.

Indeed. It's down to the President to see sense, concede and get busy in the transition otherwise it'll happen without him. I can't imagine that will do either party or the country any favours and it could easily lead to even more animosity and polarised positions.
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,293
Location
Lewisham
Trump has said he would leave the country if he loses.
What are the chances of him going to Scotland and taking over Sturgeon's job?
That would be fun.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
I hope and pray the transition will not be messy.
If Putin is still pulling Trump's strings, which is not beyond possibility, won't he be planning the messiest possible transition and even the beginnings of another Civil War? Sorry to be so gloomy, but I'm being deadly serious.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,679
Location
Solihull
Don't get overly worried, most militias are paper tigers who run away if the federal troops (who have a LOT more firepower) fight back. Most Trump supporter nonsense is talk. You'll notice elements of the GOP is moving away from him already, not many at the moment but once he is officially a loser i expect that to increase a lot.

Not saying there won't be trouble but it won't be anywhere near Civil War 2.0.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Trump has said he would leave the country if he loses.
What are the chances of him going to Scotland and taking over Sturgeon's job?
That would be fun.
If it gets to the point where he feels that it’s best to scarper, I would tend towards him initially heading to his golf resort in Dubai, which I believe (but I’m not certain on this by any means) doesn’t have an extradition treaty with the USA?
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,537
Location
Preston Lancs
Indeed. It's down to the President to see sense, concede and get busy in the transition otherwise it'll happen without him. I can't imagine that will do either party or the country any favours and it could easily lead to even more animosity and polarised positions.
If he loves the USA as much as he says he does ( and I believe he does) he will make it smooth. I think you are going to start seeing a lot of common sense. Same from McConnell. No games refusing to or impeding Bidens cabinet appointments.

Trump hates losing with a passion but I believe this is what we will see.
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
This photo of Nigel Farage holding his betting slip (£10,000 for Trump to win!) gave me a bit of a chuckle earlier. :)

5A42CE07-F680-4304-91D3-F30B07B19744.jpeg

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

If he loves the USA as much as he says he does( and I believe he does) he will make it smooth. I think you are going to start seeing a lot of common sense. Same from McConnell. No games refusing to or impeding Bidens cabinet appointment.

Trump hates losing with a passion but I believe this is what we will see.
Even though I do actually understand why people voted for him and I’m someone that tends to always give someone the benefit of the doubt, and even though we could all see a mile off how he would try and play this if he started to fall behind once the postal votes tallied up. I still can’t forgive him for the way he’s behaved this last couple of days.
I still hope that you’re right and at some point he’ll wind his neck in and do the correct thing.

I also hope that Biden does what he says he’s going to do and tries to take care of the entire country rather than just his base, and that needs to start with a message to those that voted Democrat of ‘Don’t gloat’...
You only just won this, so it’s a time to build bridges and find common ground because there’s a lot of making up to do on all sides.

Otherwise this all gets repeated in four years time and it could be worse.
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,304
It may even be possible to extend the MARTA from Northern Suburbs of Atlanta through Dalton to Chattanooga. That would be cool.
Having read a bit more about Biden and Amtrak I'm surprised Joe B isn't active on this forum!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Stop the count.

(That might be a typo).
:lol:
Did you see the tweet from Southampton FC earlier?

7E6F0A2D-F650-49D0-9CF9-97A194B0D17B.jpeg
(Photo shows Southampton at the top of the league after eight games with the caption ‘STOP THE COUNT’.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,307
I notice another statement from the Trump campaign has been released fairly recently. This bit in particular grabbed my attention.




Do they actually broadcast/release these statements with a straight face?
Interesting that mainstream broadcasters were switching away from Trump during his rant and explaining he was spouting rubbish...
 

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,442
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
It will be interesting to see what Biden does in his broadcast tonight. I think he will hold off claiming victory as the Pennsylvania result doesn't seem likely to be declared for some time and give Trump a chance to concede. Trump probably won't, although I think the GOP will start pressurising him, but it will absolutely give Biden the moral high ground. Like @GRALISTAIR, I think that in the end Trump will go quietly - and I don't believe he will leave the USA. He will go back to Florida, where he won.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
This photo of Nigel Farage holding his betting slip (£10,000 for Trump to win!) gave me a bit of a chuckle earlier.
That aint no betting slip I ever seen! ;) ( £10k at 15/8 is something like £28750 winnings - I wonder who funds him and his gambling habits? )

PS old Faridge should have waited. He would get 12/1 now!

Interesting that mainstream broadcasters were switching away from Trump during his rant and explaining he was spouting rubbish...

Great that they finally grew a spine.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
God there’s so much blowing with the wind in all of this!


No, I think it is good. This needs to be the turning point. Lies have to be called out and if it they are obviously the fevered ramblings of a demented cheesy wotsit then just stop covering him and leave him to Parler.

The media outlets might not have called this out until now but they have now done so. That has to be the line in the sand and they have to hold themselves that standard.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,817
I’ve just been reading about Trump’s appeal for people to support his legal extravaganza. In the small print, only 50% of donations actually go to this, the other half goes to repaying the debts of the campaign company, one of whose biggest creditors is.......Donald Trump. So he’s grifting right to the end, always on the make
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
Interesting that mainstream broadcasters were switching away from Trump during his rant and explaining he was spouting rubbish...
No, I think it is good. This needs to be the turning point. Lies have to be called out and if it they are obviously the fevered ramblings of a demented cheesy wotsit then just stop covering him and leave him to Parler.

The media outlets might not have called this out until now but they have now done so. That has to be the line in the sand and they have to hold themselves that standard.

To be fair to the US media, many outlets have been calling him out from the very moment he stepped into politics. Even Fox News have allowed some correspondents to be critical of him for some time.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,679
Location
Solihull
I’ve just been reading about Trump’s appeal for people to support his legal extravaganza. In the small print, only 50% of donations actually go to this, the other half goes to repaying the debts of the campaign company, one of whose biggest creditors is.......Donald Trump. So he’s grifting right to the end, always on the make

This apparently is one of the emails, quite extraordinary tone.

123539784_1236393010066967_1912926199310362174_n.jpg
 

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2020
Messages
1,565
Location
Leafy Suburbia
I hope Kamala Harris takes over after Sleepy Joe

@GRALISTAIR
You probably know more about this than the rest of us put together
Is it customary in the US to talk about politics with workmates, family neighbours, or best to avoid? Do you have a vote over there?
Whatabout non-voters, I mean those who choose not to vote?
 
Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
In the last 24 hours, 08:00 UK time 6/11/2020 to 08:00 UK time 7/11/2020
Biden has won 62% of the new votes counted in Nevada (28,307 out of 45,395)
Biden has won 69% of the new votes counted in Georgia (13,606 out of 19,581)
Biden has won 77% of the new votes counted in Pennsylvania (68,945 out of 90,057)
Just for interest, I don't think anyone will be surprised by these figures. It's only going one way. Biden's margin in Pennsylvania (28,833) is currently 0.43% of the total votes cast (~6.6m), so could exceed 0.5% and avoid an automatic recount there. Georgia's margin, at 0.15% currently, is why they've already said there will be a recount there; although I don't believe this is mandated by state law in Georgia it seems like a sensible anticipation of the inevitable.

EDIT From the link posted in #738 , there are 89,282 ballots yet to be recorded in Pennsylvania. If Biden increases his margin by 4,838 he'll reach 0.5% of the total votes cast, and if he wins 77% of these additional 89,282 ballots he'll increase his margin by ten times this number (48,000 or so) so this 0.5% automatic recount hurdle should be easily overcome. So although I wouldn't be surprised to see a recount in Pennsylvania, I think this means that it will need an affidavit process and will require Trump to pay for the recount.
 
Last edited:

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2019
Messages
1,517
I think it's fair to say Trump is on his way out. His lunatic behaviour must be evidence that he cannot remain in the White House for another four years.

The worrying thing is that Trump is a bad loser and he is still in charge of the States until the 20th January. Its sadly not like the UK when the winner takes charge straight away.

I have feeling his spiteful attitude at not getting another term in office will just mean he is bound to do something ridiculous during the next two months.

CJ
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
I think it's fair to say Trump is on his way out. His lunatic behaviour must be evidence that he cannot remain in the White House for another four years.

The worrying thing is that Trump is a bad loser and he is still in charge of the States until the 20th January. Its sadly not like the UK when the winner takes charge straight away.

I have feeling his spiteful attitude at not getting another term in office will just mean he is bound to do something ridiculous during the next two months.

CJ
I agree with all that.

What remains to be seen is what the Republican Party does. I sense, but don't know, that it still sees Trump as an "asset" and that it's thanks to Trump that the party has done well apart from the presidential election. In which case the party will still cast itself in Trump's divisive image, and he could run again in four years. Or do they ditch him, and reinvent the party? In which case, in whose image? I think that it'll be easier for them to keep him, but they may have cause to regret that it four years. Reinvention is painful, our Labour Party is going through it of course, and I think the Labour Party is going to come out of the process much stronger - but then despite how I loathe Trump and all he stands for, it seems clear that a large number of American voters don't.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top