• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1963 Southampton to Wembley Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,340
Hello gents.
Chief, bare with my ignorance here. The correct way to write this line (because as someone said, probably no editor is going to know it);
UP Main through?
Up Through?
Seems crazy to ask you guys to be specific, but this is a good example that I need to get both the words, the spaces and the capitalization correct (editor Marcia from Vermont will probably not know).
Is beer expensive here? No, not sure, I so rarely drink in a bar anymore, but I still believe it is a good price in London (when I've visited). I can still remember my old man saying he would give up if the price went past ten bob! He never did, of course.
Damn, no, Bevan, I can't watch the video in the US. How crazy is that? But I'm, of course, familiar with the lovely poem by Auden (although my favorite poem of his is "Gare du Midi") Also, was the interior of a TPO well recognized in the movie "Robbery", by Stanley Baker? I can still watch that.
Lancer: Beer, we're good now on Young's Ordinary. The gang boss uses the Prince Albert in Battersea, so I'll called that Fullers. Ha! The Dwight D Eisenhower; I'm sorry, still not as nice as an un-rebuilt West Country class!!
Thank you Dr from the Isle!
Randy, I've made a note of that site - looks excellent. Out of politeness I will have to chat with the Merchant Navy guy first, but I may well end up there. Probably will. Why did I just KNOW that you chaps would be beer connoisseurs?
Oh, sorry 30907, I didn't see your post. Same as the Chief: Up Main Through is the one, yes?
Very funny, perhaps I should write a spinnoff: What Sid Did Next!!
At least I got his uniform right - well, no one said anything.
Thank you all so much - I tell my wife, I've gotta go and chat to the railway guys now and she wonders what I'm doing!!
Here's a pic of me in Union Station with some little people, one of which I'm proud to say is my wife and best friend.
Good luck, thank you so much, and STAY SAFE!!
Nice picture, nice station!

I tend to agree with you about the air smoothed Bullied's vs the A4 style, but that can be controversial opinion....better not get off topic!

If you hailed from Kent in your early years you could have maybe even seen one? Apols if I am mis judging your childhood dates
Here's a pic of one in Kent
and a few more here

Night Mail film not accessible in USA? I wonder if another source has it - it's such a classic film and generally regarded as one of the finest and a pioneering part of the UK 'realistic' documentary film movement that there may be other sources open to you - it's sort fo the equivalent of some of the New Deal US era films of similar importance - so if you CAN find it it's worth going out of your way to view it. It's a lot more than 'just a film about postal trains' as it were...

A decent review of it here from the 'main stream media':

Good luck with the rest of the writing. It's great stuff from that extract you have shared!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Union St

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
97
Location
Washington DC
30907, thank you for the clarification. Lancer, thank you for the pics - great! Thank you, Randy, that link DOES work. What an excellent movie!
Stay safe everyone!
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,322
Did you notice that was said to be approaching Carnforth, but the next shot was of a lower quadrant signal
No, no, don't start picking the continuity errors - poor Union St will be up all night thumbing through 100 posts and disagreements :)
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
Bullion traffic, thought this might be of interest. By coincidence, I have just been scanning the unpublished memoirs of my wife's grandfather (+1985) who was a GW employee round Chester, and spotted this reference to bullion van workings on the 11.45am Birkenhead Paddington probably c 1930 when he, a relief porter, acted as caretaker:
"The van had two doors on one side only, each door had two locks, top and bottom, and from Chester the doors werecon the other side from the platform, thus showing a blank side to the public. When being loaded the bars were paced on the floor of the van in rows, there could be as many as 100 or more in a consignment.
"When loading was completed the doors were locked and the van in effect became. a travelling safe, as it was made of steel with no way in except through the doors. The two top keys were handed to the caretaker and the two bottom keys to the guard, both having to sign for them. When Paddington was reached the keys were handed over to the person designated to receive them and he gave a signature each to the caretaker and the guard.
"On the journey, if the van had to be detached for any reason, the caretaker had to travel on the engine and accompany the van wherever it went."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top