WesternLancer
Veteran Member
- Joined
- 12 Apr 2019
- Messages
- 15,327
Nice picture, nice station!Hello gents.
Chief, bare with my ignorance here. The correct way to write this line (because as someone said, probably no editor is going to know it);
UP Main through?
Up Through?
Seems crazy to ask you guys to be specific, but this is a good example that I need to get both the words, the spaces and the capitalization correct (editor Marcia from Vermont will probably not know).
Is beer expensive here? No, not sure, I so rarely drink in a bar anymore, but I still believe it is a good price in London (when I've visited). I can still remember my old man saying he would give up if the price went past ten bob! He never did, of course.
Damn, no, Bevan, I can't watch the video in the US. How crazy is that? But I'm, of course, familiar with the lovely poem by Auden (although my favorite poem of his is "Gare du Midi") Also, was the interior of a TPO well recognized in the movie "Robbery", by Stanley Baker? I can still watch that.
Lancer: Beer, we're good now on Young's Ordinary. The gang boss uses the Prince Albert in Battersea, so I'll called that Fullers. Ha! The Dwight D Eisenhower; I'm sorry, still not as nice as an un-rebuilt West Country class!!
Thank you Dr from the Isle!
Randy, I've made a note of that site - looks excellent. Out of politeness I will have to chat with the Merchant Navy guy first, but I may well end up there. Probably will. Why did I just KNOW that you chaps would be beer connoisseurs?
Oh, sorry 30907, I didn't see your post. Same as the Chief: Up Main Through is the one, yes?
Very funny, perhaps I should write a spinnoff: What Sid Did Next!!
At least I got his uniform right - well, no one said anything.
Thank you all so much - I tell my wife, I've gotta go and chat to the railway guys now and she wonders what I'm doing!!
Here's a pic of me in Union Station with some little people, one of which I'm proud to say is my wife and best friend.
Good luck, thank you so much, and STAY SAFE!!
I tend to agree with you about the air smoothed Bullied's vs the A4 style, but that can be controversial opinion....better not get off topic!
If you hailed from Kent in your early years you could have maybe even seen one? Apols if I am mis judging your childhood dates
Here's a pic of one in Kent
Bulleid original light pacifics - MikeMorant
An as yet unnamed Bulleid light pacific approaches Ramsgate station whilst in charge of the down The Thanet Belle which was a relatively short-lived all-Pullman service from Victoria to, inmitially, Ramsgate, but later extended unsuccessfully to Canterbury East. The original service started...
Bulleid original light pacifics - MikeMorant
Thank you for viewing my SmugMug photo galleries. I had a massive Fotopic presence until I saw 7 years of hard graft disappear around the u-bend of business inadequacy and have finally taken the plunge with SmugMug as the Image Hosting service. As this presentation has been started from...
Night Mail film not accessible in USA? I wonder if another source has it - it's such a classic film and generally regarded as one of the finest and a pioneering part of the UK 'realistic' documentary film movement that there may be other sources open to you - it's sort fo the equivalent of some of the New Deal US era films of similar importance - so if you CAN find it it's worth going out of your way to view it. It's a lot more than 'just a film about postal trains' as it were...
A decent review of it here from the 'main stream media':
Stamp of excellence
Night Mail, about the London to Glasgow postal train, is a classic of the 1930s British documentary boom, with contributions from Auden and Britten. Blake Morrison marvels at its poetry and populism
Good luck with the rest of the writing. It's great stuff from that extract you have shared!
