• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1963 Southampton to Wembley Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,321
Q. Did they pick up mail from those bagged/grabbing things along the way without stopping?
Known as "Lineside Exchange Apparatus". And I believe nowhere on the old Southern had the necessary installations, which also meant that the TPO vehicles themselves were not fitted with the nets etc required for this - it was very usual for the TPO vehicles to be notably confined to one base or even one specific working for much of their lives.

There was one west of Taunton into the 1960s, on the Western Region, which was a much-desired (though rarely achieved) personal diversion of our family on summer evenings when it was still pleasantly daylight when the exchange took place. Notably, it all happened rather too fast to take in. Country road, park by the hedge, one postman in uniform and his red Morris Minor van there, very punctual speeding Up train, WHAM!!!

There were longstanding security arrangements around the mails, not so much about regular letters etc (which were often dumped unattended in mailbag piles at the end of Taunton station platform, particularly in the run-up to Christmas), but with the Special Category mail, Registered, etc. One of the principal users of this service was the banks, who moved all their paper money this way, new banknotes out to all the branches, old notes being withdrawn back to the Bank of England. This is what was behind the multi-million pound (even then) 1963 Great Train Robbery, which of course was on a London-bound service bringing the old mixed notes back for disposal, not the new, identifiable ones going the other way.

The number of sorters in a TPO was dependent on how long between stations and the typical mail volume - the more mail, and the shorter time to sort it, the more you needed. Typically there were several, in addition to the sorters there were those more junior who moved the mailbags around for them. Just one vehicle might be the sorting carriage, with those each side used just for bag stowage. The sorting pigeonholes were not named as such, just numbered, and got used for different points as the journey progressed, and I believe also that different sorters did it different ways, and then collated them appropriately at the end. If I recall correctly the coach with the Exchange Apparatus was not the sorting coach, but one of the adjacent stowage ones, as when the big door was slid open at speed just prior to the exchange, a real gale blew through the coach. The sorter at the door sounded an electric bell which rang through the postal vehicles just before the door was opened.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Union St

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
97
Location
Washington DC
Thank you so much, guys. I'll add the extra vans at Eastleigh, not a problem. I'll put six or eight sorters in some of the TPO's and the guard in the passenger coaches. Thank you for clarification concerning the Lineside Exchange Apparatus.
Stay safe everyone!!
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,700
Location
Hope Valley
A few more thoughts:

It was more common (at least in railway circles) to show times with lower case letters and with full stops (periods) between them back in 1963. So "1.10 a.m." rather than "1.10 AM"

The train called at Eastleigh at 1.20 a.m. to 1.26 a.m. for the further attachment. The layout there was well adapted to it, with a full series of junctions from the Portsmouth line at the south end of the station. (These went under later re-signallings.) The train would run onto the Up Local platform. There were a couple of Up Sidings on which the additional vans could be waiting, with a shunt locomotive at the south end, ready to propel onto the rear, ready for couple, further brake test and departure. Six minutes perfectly adequate. Remember that Eastleigh was only five and a half miles from Southampton Terminus so don't get carried away with high speed exploits and 'steam pluming from the safety valves' right from the word go. It would be a matter of pride for both driver and fireman not to be 'blowing off' in a residential area in the middle of the night.

There are no tunnels beyond Basingstoke, certainly not after Weybridge.

Pickaxe handles were the cosh of choice. No 'head' required!

Although not essential to the narrative it might be worth noting that the signal for departure from Southampton Terminus' Platform 6 was Number 60, the right hand one of a pair on a balanced bracket. (Number 59 was the signal from Platform 5.) So a nice view from the driving position on the left hand side of the cab and a nice 'advantage curve' look-back to the guard's hand signal. The signalbox (actually called Southampton Yard and with a relatively modern frame, installed in 1955, on a largely un-changed layout) was between the tracks off the ends of the Platform 3 and Platform 4 'finger', with the frame facing towards Wadebridge as it departed. So a nice opportunity for "under the watchful eye of the signalman" or "attempting a friendly wave through the cloud of steam" before "plunging under the road bridge".

Still a few thoughts to follow at some point...
 

randyrippley

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2016
Messages
5,382
and pickaxe handles would be of ash wood.
Strong straight grained and elastic, less jarring to use

Some criminals would enhance them by wrapping sheet lead around the heads for extra weight, or studding the neads with 4" nails
 
Last edited:

Union St

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
97
Location
Washington DC
Wow, you guys have so much detailed knowledge - I'm always impressed. Randy, I'll use your thoughts on pickaxes a little later/earlier in the book; can't remember where. Dr Hoo - this is all great stuff again, and I will use it. (I like the "advantage curve", and I think I get it). As for the times, I will leave that to the Copy editor. I'm thinking of dropping the content editor all together and just letting you guys read it! :D
One question, if I may - what does the brake test involve?
BTW, I was watching YouTube today about two women on the English canals and they stopped off somewhere and great scenes of the Bullied Pacific 34027 Taw Valley.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
Running brake test = on departure and having got speed up to say 15 mph or so , - apply the combined train / locomotive brake to reduce speed briefly - this shows there is continuity of braking throughout the train , and you are "good to go" (to be done on departure from berth and if you have attached vehicles to the formation) - an important function to say the least.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
Post Great Train Robbery - TPO trains were given both extra security and "code names" for particular workings - the Weymouth to Waterloo was named "Zanzibar" , - information c/o Graham Satchwell , who was a young officer who accompanied such trains . "Union St" - have you read his excellent book ? , it makes pertinent comments on inner dock handling of bullion flows.
 

Union St

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
97
Location
Washington DC
Thank you, Chief - got the brake test and I'll include it. Definitely an important function. I can imagine that post the GTR there must have been a lot of changes (why didn't they do them earlier? Oh, well). But, I chose 1963 so as to avoid that (just), when the trains and the PO were different entities because it had not happened. I've learned so much from you chaps that I need not too more about trains (for the book). I know ships pretty well. My real area lacking in expertise is UK customs - I've been asking everywhere, but there is just not much said about them online. So, I've made that up, but I doubt few readers will notice. Also, I read Mr. Satchwell's book about the GTR and found it quite annoying (although I did agree with his thoughts concerning some of the main players), and I think I'm a better writer. I'm reading his 'Look Inside' to see if it draws me in.
Again, many thanks for the excellent comments, Chief.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
Try this excellent site for information on customs arrangements at a much smaller port - Swansea - my home turf (and a port where my great great grandfather was a long standing Master Mariner in the 19thC.

http://www.swanseadocks.co.uk/HM Customs.htm

Warning - this may take up much of your time . Excellent details in all respects.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,700
Location
Hope Valley
A few more fairly random thoughts:

Reference to H G Wells' The Time Machine fits quite nicely with the 1960 film adaptation that Driver Sidney may well have seen (if he had someone to go to the cinema with; perhaps before he had split from his wife).

At the risk of over-thinking it, if Sidney was seriously wondering whether his train might be held up and robbed en route the thought process might have included:

There were few level crossings and they were all in or close to towns on the route. Chapel Lane and Mount Pleasant were in Southampton, Stoneham (since closed) was only a little short of Eastleigh and St Cross was in the south of Winchester. So the alarm would be raised quickly and response would be quick.

The section beyond Winchester to Worting Junction (west of Basingstoke) was renowned for being one of the longest runs in England with only one wayside station - Micheldever - which was actually in the hamlet of Micheldever Station, some distance from Micheldever village itself. A few lonely wayside signal boxes, spaced out at Litchfield, Steventon and Wootton but with various country lanes near and crossing the line would be far more promising territory for an ambush.

Beyond Worting Junction the four-track layout, more settlement and (beyond Farnborough/Pirbright Junction) the third rail electrified area would make a heist more challenging again.

The 'indoor street' at Waterloo was commonly called the 'Cab Road'. Used by taxis during the day it was busy with post, newspaper and parcels vans at night.

Although Sidney would undoubtedly have been unsettled by the publication of the Beeching Report, as most rail staff were, it actually heralded relatively little 'new' change for someone in his position as a main line driver at Nine Elms/Waterloo. The switch from steam to diesel and electric had been heralded in the 1955 Modernisation Plan and closure of rural branch lines was hardly an issue for most London staff.

Colloquially the vacuum brake apparatus would usually just be described as 'the exhauster' or 'the brake exhauster', certainly not a 'pump' and without mentioning the V-word. You could refer to looking at the 'vacuum gauge' if you wanted to establish that this was the old British brake design rather than the more widespread air/Westinghouse system used in the USA, Europe and many other places.

That's enough for now.
 

Union St

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
97
Location
Washington DC
Wow! Thank you so much, Doctor! This is brilliant stuff. I mentioned the Time Machine because the inside of Wadebridge does look a little like a time machine with all the pipes, levers, gauges and valves. I will re-insert where I added the bit about train time. I wanted the chapter (or this first half) to be about time. It's a good theme. I didn't have the information I now have, so I can concentrate his fears in certain places - great stuff! The Beeching Report; It's implied that Sidney is getting old, but I don't know if his job would be in danger, but certainly the Engineer would be in danger of unemployment, yes?
Again, thank you so much for all your comments - they WILL be used.
FYI, still chatting with the Merchant Navy about gold in Southampton - still fishing at the moment, and have also been chatting with Graham Satchwell in LinkedIn. What a connected world we live in!

Be safe everyone!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
The Beeching Report; It's implied that Sidney is getting old, but I don't know if his job would be in danger, but certainly the Engineer would be in danger of unemployment, yes?
In London and the SE Beeching would have little impact on passenger services, but the decision to phase out steam and talk of electrification to Bournemouth (it wasn't authorised till Sept 64) might have been on the driver's mind.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Very good point; thank you 30907.
Like Graham Satchwells book I will be buying yours when it comes out. Make sure you get in contact with us when it’s published Union St.
I knew that I wouldn’t have had much to add to this thread once the people that I’d hope would get involved started painting the picture, but it’s been so interesting reading about all the little details hasn’t it?
I’ve learnt plenty of new things reading this thread and I’d just like to say a personal thank you to everyone for taking the time to divulge your knowledge.
I wasn’t born until 1973 (six years after steam finished in the area that’s being discussed), but I’ve always soaked up any information and anecdotes from that era because I find it so interesting.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,313
Hi Union St - a few further musing from me:

a) "it wasn’t London, but it was only ten or twelve miles from Charing Cross!"

this read a little odd as they are heading to Waterloo Station (not Charing Cross Station) - but I guess on reflection you are alluding to the Cross as historical 'centre' point of London as a phrase. Just musing as to whether a reader will 'get' that. I did but after pausing for thought....

b) "UpThrough"

Type 2 words I think - I only mention it because if your general proof reader is not familiar with BR line terminology they may not realise...

c) "the new curved building to the front"

Well, it's 1920s I think - but I think someone reading 'new' in the context of early 1960s would assume new would be eg post war 1950s modern style, which it's not, so maybe worth considering if that is the right word here. I think it is 'classical' style, which may be the word you could use perhaps.

d) Beeching - ref comments above my feeling is it sort of sets the context in respect of a thing most people at least in UK have heard of, so although it may not be main concern of this driver, I personally didn't feel it out of place really, and think it might help the non expert reader.

so - well done and nice work, genuinely impressed by the efforts you have gone to to achieve accuracy of detail as per this thread etc, esp as I assume it is not your home / native country which must make it a tall order! Nicely done indeed.

Obv ignore my thoughts if you don't think you need to amend.

Finally - I think we could all do with a pint of Young's in a decent boozer! I can live with this lock down but bottled beer at home is no substitute for the real thing!

Cheers
PS chaps, would Sidney have been a mild or bitter drinker do we think? I've read that Mild was much more common working class beer back then, but unsure if that would include London. Assume Sidney would have developed his beer of choice in eg 1940s or 30s....
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
Hi Union St - a few further musing from me:

a) "it wasn’t London, but it was only ten or twelve miles from Charing Cross!"

this read a little odd as they are heading to Waterloo Station (not Charing Cross Station) - but I guess on reflection you are alluding to the Cross as historical 'centre' point of London as a phrase. Just musing as to whether a reader will 'get' that. I did but after pausing for thought....

b) "UpThrough"

Type 2 words I think - I only mention it because if your general proof reader is not familiar with BR line terminology they may not realise...

c) "the new curved building to the front"

Well, it's 1920s I think - but I think someone reading 'new' in the context of early 1960s would assume new would be eg post war 1950s modern style, which it's not, so maybe worth considering if that is the right word here. I think it is 'classical' style, which may be the word you could use perhaps.

d) Beeching - ref comments above my feeling is it sort of sets the context in respect of a thing most people at least in UK have heard of, so although it may not be main concern of this driver, I personally didn't feel it out of place really, and think it might help the non expert reader.

so - well done and nice work, genuinely impressed by the efforts you have gone to to achieve accuracy of detail as per this thread etc, esp as I assume it is not your home / native country which must make it a tall order! Nicely done indeed.

Obv ignore my thoughts if you don't think you need to amend.

Finally - I think we could all do with a pint of Young's in a decent boozer! I can live with this lock down but bottled beer at home is no substitute for the real thing!

Cheers
PS chaps, would Sidney have been a mild or bitter drinker do we think? I've read that Mild was much more common working class beer back then, but unsure if that would include London. Assume Sidney would have developed his beer of choice in eg 1940s or 30s....

Two "minor" points ....

"Up through" - probably refers to the "up main through lines" , as opposed to the slow or "Windsor" lines , - this being under the control of the (then) Waterloo signal box , - (which basically controlled the main station area and towards Queenstown Road area , a couple of miles away)

Beer - well you could drink either mild , or bitter - though a "half and half" was a popular combination , which has largely disappeared now - a mix of both kinds in a pint glass ! ....too much detail perhaps , but it was the kind of combination that the working man would have enjoyed. Generally - "mild" is a beer more popular north of the West Midlands.
 

Union St

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
97
Location
Washington DC
Hello Cowley, I cannot agree with you more. I never knew this subject could be so interesting! I've learned so much (well, nothing compared to some of the guys on her), but it is absolutely fascinating! I have a whole new appreciation of steam engines which I doubt I will ever lose. Sorry to say I've never seen one "in the flesh"! You know I would even have considered taking a jaunt to England to see Wadebridge, but I've pretty much curtailed international travel now (even before this damn virus thing).
I've been chatting with Graham and he's confirmed (rather fortunately), the Police and UK Customs & Excise procedures at Southampton - that was very encouraging.

Lancer - all good points, as usual.
Well I thought everyone knew Charing Cross was the center of London, but you raise a good point. I have a very nice Content & Copy editor, but she is American, and I'm now doubting if she will be the person to edit this. Just thinking.
Up Through, got it.
Yeah, I kind of just threw stuff about the terminal in at the end without much consideration. I promise I will be going back and doing lots of revisions. The way I write is to write all 12/13 chapters at the same time, cognoscente of the need to keep all the moving parts in alignment.
Ha! Beer, perhaps my favorite subject. I'm born in England and spent my formative years in Kent, before leaving at 18, so a long time since I've lived there. We drank John Courage. Every time I've visited London I've always headed for London Pride, or occasionally S&N Spitfire. I'm limited over here to canned Boddingtons (soooo smooth) and bottled Bass, but due to health concerns I'm pretty much limited to a few cans of Amstle Light (unless its a very special occasion).

Chief, I found Up Through somewhere, don't know where, so tell me if that is the correct line. I like the idea of mild, very public bar (they used to joke it was the dregs collected from the trip trays)

I'm still working with the Merchant Navy guys on their website - they want to chat about Union Castle all the time - but this isn't that. I describe the Aphrodite May in another chapter. It will be something like the attached picture, a ship I sailed on in 1981, I think. However, I found a U-C steward who also worked on the BOAC Comet IV's and I need to know about them too!

Also attached is someone I wrote about heroism, which you might enjoy.
Thank you again everyone. Please stay safe!!
 

Attachments

  • A236-Rotte-NV%20Houtvaart-kl.jpg
    A236-Rotte-NV%20Houtvaart-kl.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Just for One Day.pdf
    315.8 KB · Views: 4

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
Hello Cowley, I cannot agree with you more. I never knew this subject could be so interesting! I've learned so much (well, nothing compared to some of the guys on her), but it is absolutely fascinating! I have a whole new appreciation of steam engines which I doubt I will ever lose. Sorry to say I've never seen one "in the flesh"! You know I would even have considered taking a jaunt to England to see Wadebridge, but I've pretty much curtailed international travel now (even before this damn virus thing).
I've been chatting with Graham and he's confirmed (rather fortunately), the Police and UK Customs & Excise procedures at Southampton - that was very encouraging.

Lancer - all good points, as usual.
Well I thought everyone knew Charing Cross was the center of London, but you raise a good point. I have a very nice Content & Copy editor, but she is American, and I'm now doubting if she will be the person to edit this. Just thinking.
Up Through, got it.
Yeah, I kind of just threw stuff about the terminal in at the end without much consideration. I promise I will be going back and doing lots of revisions. The way I write is to write all 12/13 chapters at the same time, cognoscente of the need to keep all the moving parts in alignment.
Ha! Beer, perhaps my favorite subject. I'm born in England and spent my formative years in Kent, before leaving at 18, so a long time since I've lived there. We drank John Courage. Every time I've visited London I've always headed for London Pride, or occasionally S&N Spitfire. I'm limited over here to canned Boddingtons (soooo smooth) and bottled Bass, but due to health concerns I'm pretty much limited to a few cans of Amstle Light (unless its a very special occasion).

Chief, I found Up Through somewhere, don't know where, so tell me if that is the correct line. I like the idea of mild, very public bar (they used to joke it was the dregs collected from the trip trays)

I'm still working with the Merchant Navy guys on their website - they want to chat about Union Castle all the time - but this isn't that. I describe the Aphrodite May in another chapter. It will be something like the attached picture, a ship I sailed on in 1981, I think. However, I found a U-C steward who also worked on the BOAC Comet IV's and I need to know about them too!

Also attached is someone I wrote about heroism, which you might enjoy.
Thank you again everyone. Please stay safe!!


UP Main through would be spot on for a key train like this , (unless the engineers had it for maintenance that night) ........so , yes.

Beer - well in the USA last Autumn - plenty of good local stuff around these days (NYC , Boston - New England) - just a little expensive for us poor "Brits" ....
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,342
Not sure if it is viewable outside UK, and it was filmed on LMSR, but at just after 14 minutes, the film "Night Mail" shows the interior of a typical UK mail coach with sorting facilities:
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,313
Hello Cowley, I cannot agree with you more. I never knew this subject could be so interesting! I've learned so much (well, nothing compared to some of the guys on her), but it is absolutely fascinating! I have a whole new appreciation of steam engines which I doubt I will ever lose. Sorry to say I've never seen one "in the flesh"! You know I would even have considered taking a jaunt to England to see Wadebridge, but I've pretty much curtailed international travel now (even before this damn virus thing).
I've been chatting with Graham and he's confirmed (rather fortunately), the Police and UK Customs & Excise procedures at Southampton - that was very encouraging.

Lancer - all good points, as usual.
Well I thought everyone knew Charing Cross was the center of London, but you raise a good point. I have a very nice Content & Copy editor, but she is American, and I'm now doubting if she will be the person to edit this. Just thinking.
Up Through, got it.
Yeah, I kind of just threw stuff about the terminal in at the end without much consideration. I promise I will be going back and doing lots of revisions. The way I write is to write all 12/13 chapters at the same time, cognoscente of the need to keep all the moving parts in alignment.
Ha! Beer, perhaps my favorite subject. I'm born in England and spent my formative years in Kent, before leaving at 18, so a long time since I've lived there. We drank John Courage. Every time I've visited London I've always headed for London Pride, or occasionally S&N Spitfire. I'm limited over here to canned Boddingtons (soooo smooth) and bottled Bass, but due to health concerns I'm pretty much limited to a few cans of Amstle Light (unless its a very special occasion).

Chief, I found Up Through somewhere, don't know where, so tell me if that is the correct line. I like the idea of mild, very public bar (they used to joke it was the dregs collected from the trip trays)

I'm still working with the Merchant Navy guys on their website - they want to chat about Union Castle all the time - but this isn't that. I describe the Aphrodite May in another chapter. It will be something like the attached picture, a ship I sailed on in 1981, I think. However, I found a U-C steward who also worked on the BOAC Comet IV's and I need to know about them too!

Also attached is someone I wrote about heroism, which you might enjoy.
Thank you again everyone. Please stay safe!!
Cheers Union St. Bottled Bass ought to be good stuff. Canned Boddingtons I'm far less sure about. London Pride and Spitfire - well, great choices! Mind you the Chief makes a good point about mild being less common in the south, so I guess that applied in the early60s as much as it applies now then.
I think I'll order a half and half when the pubs re-open! Being in the midlands most of my locals offer a Mild.

Obv you do have at least one UK loco on your side of the pond - don't think it steams any more though!
 

randyrippley

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2016
Messages
5,382
If you need info about the Comet 4, try asking on the history section of PPRUNE forum, a lot of very knowledgable people there

As for beer, dark mild (the beer most people think of as mild) was relatively rare in London. A few London breweries sold pale "milds" of around 2.8%, but these were really very weak mildly hopped bitters created by a second sparging of the malt already used for a full strength beer. Some breweries misleadingly called these beers "mild", others desparaging names such as BB (Boys Bitter). 0.2% weaker and they could legally have been sold to children.
They were lunchtime beers for manual workers such as dockers or train crew - they'd get you hydrated but not drunk. But not the kind of beer to drink after the end of shift if you wanted your peers to respect you - and anyway to the best of my knowledge Youngs never sold such a beer at the time.
Their weakest beer was "Youngs Bitter" (aka "Ordinary") at 3.7%, and a stronger bitter named "Special" at 4.5%
Most workmen would choose the "Ordinary"
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
UP Main through would be spot on for a key train like this , (unless the engineers had it for maintenance that night) ........so , yes.
The 8 running lines from Clapham Jn into Waterloo from North to South
Up and Down Windsors (either 3 or 4 lines; in from Vauxhall the 4th track from the North was/is the Up Main Relief)
Up and Down Main Through (the UMT being the one for the Mails).
Up and Down Main Local.
.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,321
Not sure if it is viewable outside UK, and it was filmed on LMSR, but at just after 14 minutes, the film "Night Mail" shows the interior of a typical UK mail coach with sorting facilities:
Lot of what we have written about there, although this was the premium TPO of the country, a dedicated mail train. As ever, the Exchange Apparatus is fascinating to observers. Possibly best known for W H Auden's specially-written poem, read at the end - which in part got me Grade 1 English Literature O Level (I also managed to get John Betjeman in the free choice part, when he was a less fashionable BBC journalist).

Let's not distract poor Union St with picking up on the little detail errors in the film!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Let's not distract poor Union St with picking up on the little detail errors in the film!
Amen to that. :lol:
There’s so much detail on this thread that I could see him devoting fifteen chapters on what Sid decided to order at the bar if we’re not careful...
 

Union St

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
97
Location
Washington DC
Hello gents.
Chief, bare with my ignorance here. The correct way to write this line (because as someone said, probably no editor is going to know it);
UP Main through?
Up Through?
Seems crazy to ask you guys to be specific, but this is a good example that I need to get both the words, the spaces and the capitalization correct (editor Marcia from Vermont will probably not know).
Is beer expensive here? No, not sure, I so rarely drink in a bar anymore, but I still believe it is a good price in London (when I've visited). I can still remember my old man saying he would give up if the price went past ten bob! He never did, of course.
Damn, no, Bevan, I can't watch the video in the US. How crazy is that? But I'm, of course, familiar with the lovely poem by Auden (although my favorite poem of his is "Gare du Midi") Also, was the interior of a TPO well recognized in the movie "Robbery", by Stanley Baker? I can still watch that.
Lancer: Beer, we're good now on Young's Ordinary. The gang boss uses the Prince Albert in Battersea, so I'll called that Fullers. Ha! The Dwight D Eisenhower; I'm sorry, still not as nice as an un-rebuilt West Country class!!
Thank you Dr from the Isle!
Randy, I've made a note of that site - looks excellent. Out of politeness I will have to chat with the Merchant Navy guy first, but I may well end up there. Probably will. Why did I just KNOW that you chaps would be beer connoisseurs?
Oh, sorry 30907, I didn't see your post. Same as the Chief: Up Main Through is the one, yes?
Very funny, perhaps I should write a spinnoff: What Sid Did Next!!
At least I got his uniform right - well, no one said anything.
Thank you all so much - I tell my wife, I've gotta go and chat to the railway guys now and she wonders what I'm doing!!
Here's a pic of me in Union Station with some little people, one of which I'm proud to say is my wife and best friend.
Good luck, thank you so much, and STAY SAFE!!
 

Attachments

  • FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 18

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Hello gents.
Chief, bare with my ignorance here. The correct way to write this line (because as someone said, probably no editor is going to know it);
UP Main through?
Up Through?
Seems crazy to ask you guys to be specific, but this is a good example that I need to get both the words, the spaces and the capitalization correct (editor Marcia from Vermont will probably not know).
Is beer expensive here? No, not sure, I so rarely drink in a bar anymore, but I still believe it is a good price in London (when I've visited). I can still remember my old man saying he would give up if the price went past ten bob! He never did, of course.
Damn, no, Bevan, I can't watch the video in the US. How crazy is that? But I'm, of course, familiar with the lovely poem by Auden (although my favorite poem of his is "Gare du Midi") Also, was the interior of a TPO well recognized in the movie "Robbery", by Stanley Baker? I can still watch that.
Lancer: Beer, we're good now on Young's Ordinary. The gang boss uses the Prince Albert in Battersea, so I'll called that Fullers. Ha! The Dwight D Eisenhower; I'm sorry, still not as nice as an un-rebuilt West Country class!!
Thank you Dr from the Isle!
Randy, I've made a note of that site - looks excellent. Out of politeness I will have to chat with the Merchant Navy guy first, but I may well end up there. Probably will. Why did I just KNOW that you chaps would be beer connoisseurs?
Oh, sorry 30907, I didn't see your post. Same as the Chief: Up Main Through is the one, yes?
Very funny, perhaps I should write a spinnoff: What Sid Did Next!!
At least I got his uniform right - well, no one said anything.
Thank you all so much - I tell my wife, I've gotta go and chat to the railway guys now and she wonders what I'm doing!!
Here's a pic of me in Union Station with some little people, one of which I'm proud to say is my wife and best friend.
Good luck, thank you so much, and STAY SAFE!!
That’s lovely. All the best sir and good luck with the book.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
Yes, Up Main Through, initial capitals. I would leave "line" (if you've included it) lower case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top