• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19:46 Kings Cross to Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,529
Location
Yorkshire
It waited too long for it to simply be held (unless there was a disabled person or someone who is slow at walking with a bike in the DVT or something similar?) so I suspect it was delayed for some other reason.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crispy1978

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,037
Location
Scarborough
It waited too long for it to simply be held (unless there was a disabled person or someone who is slow at walking with a bike in the DVT or something similar?) so I suspect it was delayed for some other reason.

A freight train did go through platform 3.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Crispy, fancy doing a trip report?

If you would like me to? I've got plenty of free time tomorrow :)
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
Ahh. Soo glad you made it crispy! I was genuinely eating popcorn for that! Much better than cinema!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
I do feel sorry for all the people who got caught up in this today.

I was on the 1715 East Coast from King's Cross to Edinburgh. We got to Donny on time (1909) where I got off, and the train was held indefinitely there. It was full and standing and you could clearly see the frustration on the face of some pax.

Opposite us in Platform 6 was Grand Central's 180112, which was supposedly around 30 minutes ahead of us on 1N94. It clearly had been there for a while and some pax were transferred onto the 1918 XC departure to Edinburgh, which I now notice had been cancelled at York, although the majority remained.

As none of the southbound XC services could get through, pax for the south were told to get on the Sheffield trains and change there. The station announcements were periodic and from the platform I could hear both the GC and EC TMs making regular announcements onboard. Overall I got the impression that the incident was well-handled at Donny, as a snapshot.

Luckily I was travelling back on the Northern Sheffield service which came from the Yorkshire coast so wasn't affected. All thoughts are with the deceased and the staff affected. As we went past the First Class Lounge upon departure, someone (I assume the GC driver possibly) was being interviewed by BTP inside.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
where was the incident? There was one at Northallerton this evening

I was initially under the impression that it was not far north of Donny, however there is no further information on that front.

The 180 clearly went north of Donny and then reversed into the platform. I can't possibly say why.
 

wijit

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2012
Messages
97
I go on several forums (mostly because of my son's interests) but this has been one of the best threads I ever read. Shared information epitomises why forums are so good. I look forward to the next one!
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,484
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I go on several forums (mostly because of my son's interests) but this has been one of the best threads I ever read. Shared information epitomises why forums are so good. I look forward to the next one!

May I second what you have said, Reading the thread from the very first posting, I was caught up in the total excitement of the matter and I was so pleased that the story had a happy ending.
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
May I second what you have said, Reading the thread from the very first posting, I was caught up in the total excitement of the matter and I was so pleased that the story had a happy ending.
Thirded.

As I was reading down the thread, I could hear the Crystal Maze music playing in my head - the drama, the excitement and the ultimate happy ending.
 

D1009

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2012
Messages
3,166
Location
Stoke Gifford
Can anyone with access to TRUST advise what the official reason for the delay to the TPE (1P62) was? From realtimetrains it appears to have departed one minute after the Tyne - Doncaster freight passed through platform 3.
 
Last edited:

Mainliner

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2010
Messages
367
Location
Northumberland
Well done. :)

Now, when can we do this again?

I can probably oblige next time my 2000 KGX - NCL is more than about 20 minutes late - happens now and again due to engineering work, etc - as it's then touch and go whether I can catch the last Metro to the coast. :D

This normally involves running over the footbridge from platform 3, down the stairs to the Metro, trying to quickly buy a Metro ticket from a machine that refuses to accept coins half of the time :roll: , and then running down the escalator to the Metro platform. I do have a little advance notice if my Metro train is arriving, as a breeze comes up the escalator :D

A few weeks ago, on one of the occasions I was running for the train, the said Metro ticket machine teased me by printing the ticket and displaying it in the slot for just a second, before withdrawing it into the machine again! :lol: This happened several times, and I unsuccessfully tried to grip it before it disappeared again, but there wasn't enough of it showing to get a good purchase :lol: Eventually it decided it had taken the **** enough, and returned my money. I got a ticket from another machine just in time to catch the last train :razz:
 
Last edited:

Kryten2340

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
338
Location
Gateshead
Well done. :)

Now, when can we do this again?

I can probably oblige next time my 2000 KGX - NCL is more than about 20 minutes late - happens now and again due to engineering work, etc - as it's then touch and go whether I can catch the last Metro to the coast. :D

This normally involves running over the footbridge from platform 3, down the stairs to the Metro, trying to quickly buy a Metro ticket from a machine that refuses to accept coins half of the time :roll: , and then running down the escalator to the Metro platform. I do have a little advance notice if my Metro train is arriving, as a breeze comes up the escalator :D

A few weeks ago, on one of the occasions I was running for the train, the said Metro ticket machine teased me by printing the ticket and displaying it in the slot for just a second, before withdrawing it into the machine again! :lol: This happened several times, and I unsuccessfully tried to grip it before it disappeared again, but there wasn't enough of it showing to get a good purchase :lol: Eventually it decided it had taken the **** enough, and returned my money. I got a ticket from another machine just in time to catch the last train :razz:

Can you not just get your mainline ticket to include the metro or is this only for certain metro stations only?
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,934
Can anyone with access to TRUST advise what the official reason for the delay to the TPE (1P62) was? From realtimetrains it appears to have departed one minute after the Tyne - Doncaster freight passed through platform 3.
Five minutes still under investigation by the looks of it, then three minutes regulated for the late-running 6B51.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top