• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

150202 - Where is it and what is a C7 exam compared to a C6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJDevon

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2018
Messages
150
Location
Exmouth
This GWR unit has been out of action since mid February. According to a GWR manager it is undergoing a C7 Exam.
Two questions what work is done on a C7 (which I had previously never heard of), compared to a C6 and where is the unit at the moment?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
Joined
6 Feb 2020
Messages
2,304
Location
leamingtonspa
This GWR unit has been out of action since mid February. According to a GWR manager it is undergoing a C7 Exam.
Two questions what work is done on a C7 (which I had previously never heard of), compared to a C6 and where is the unit at the moment?
Wolverton works
 

3973EXL

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2017
Messages
2,741
This GWR unit has been out of action since mid February. According to a GWR manager it is undergoing a C7 Exam.
Two questions what work is done on a C7 (which I had previously never heard of), compared to a C6 and where is the unit at the moment?

19/02 to Wolverton
Today 150202 518N 0625 Exeter Tmd sidings to Wolverton centre sidings works was formed by 150202.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
19/02 to Wolverton
I just hope it comes out better than some of the other stuff that’s been to Wolverton, it’s certainly been there a while (possibly longer than the first unit which had some considerable steelwork replaced).
 

TJDevon

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2018
Messages
150
Location
Exmouth
I just hope it comes out better than some of the other stuff that’s been to Wolverton, it’s certainly been there a while (possibly longer than the first unit which had some considerable steelwork replaced).

Which one was the earlier unit?
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
Which one was the earlier unit?
I can't remember which was the first unit to receive it's FGW C6 Overhaul (we're talking around 2015 here), but years of vinyl based liveries coupled with occasional washes by the Dawlish Sea Wall took it's toll on the Exeter based 150/2 fleet - steel bodies and salt water are not the best of friends.

Wolverton also seems to have a history of being shall we say, hit and miss. There were a number of stories of the 456 fleet coming back to Wimbledon with the electrical boxes in the couplers wired upside down, while other units have had refurbishments there and also come back somewhat sickly.
 

warwickshire

On Moderation
Joined
6 Feb 2020
Messages
2,304
Location
leamingtonspa
I can't remember which was the first unit to receive it's FGW C6 Overhaul (we're talking around 2015 here), but years of vinyl based liveries coupled with occasional washes by the Dawlish Sea Wall took it's toll on the Exeter based 150/2 fleet - steel bodies and salt water are not the best of friends.

Wolverton also seems to have a history of being shall we say, hit and miss. There were a number of stories of the 456 fleet coming back to Wimbledon with the electrical boxes in the couplers wired upside down, while other units have had refurbishments there and also come back somewhat sickly.
168321 for chiltern also came back to chiltern with a engine isolated but went up okay and only recently. Ie that sadly came back sickly.
 

Suraggu

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
1,083
Location
The Far North
168321 for chiltern also came back to chiltern with a engine isolated but went up okay and only recently. Ie that sadly came back sickly.
That was because they started the work but dropping the engine oil and coolant but the project was pulled on cost grounds shortly after. Wolverton didn't have the kit etc to refill so was left isolated until it returned to Aylesbury.
 

TJDevon

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2018
Messages
150
Location
Exmouth
This unit seems to have been at Wolverton a long time. Anyone got any news?

Does this one have 3+2 seating? If so I wonder if it will be changed to 2+2?
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Before it’s repaint, was 150202 the only /2 that wore the plain blue (like the 150/1s had) but also had the 3+2 seating? I know 219/238 had this plain blue too and still do now, but they have the Chapman seats and tables that all the other /2s had. I know there’s another 150/2 with 2+3 seating, but did this have the plain blue? Most had dynamic lines of course.

I remember taking a 150/2 with 150/1 style plain blue exterior and interior (it was horrible) in 2015, and I’m really quite keen to know if it was 202 I took. Only because it’s the only 150 I haven’t been on. (other than the scrapped halves) Would be a pleasant coincidence to learn I had been on it after all. :) TY
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
Before it’s repaint, was 150202 the only /2 that wore the plain blue (like the 150/1s had) but also had the 3+2 seating? I know 219/238 had this plain blue too and still do now, but they have the Chapman seats and tables that all the other /2s had. I know there’s another 150/2 with 2+3 seating, but did this have the plain blue? Most had dynamic lines of course.

I remember taking a 150/2 with 150/1 style plain blue exterior and interior (it was horrible) in 2015, and I’m really quite keen to know if it was 202 I took. Only because it’s the only 150 I haven’t been on. (other than the scrapped halves) Would be a pleasant coincidence to learn I had been on it after all. :) TY

Potentially not. Along with a number of the 150/1s, FGW also received 150202/216 which both retained their original interiors after acting as centre cars for the Tyseley /0s. The later addition of 209 also retained its original interior, but wouldn’t have been out on its own (I think it managed 1 trip) as it was the bogless unit. Of course 207 has the original layout but with FNW installed chapmans.
 

Razorblades

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2021
Messages
454
Location
Copshaw Holm, Scottish Borders
This GWR unit has been out of action since mid February. According to a GWR manager it is undergoing a C7 Exam.
Two questions what work is done on a C7 (which I had previously never heard of), compared to a C6 and where is the unit at the moment?

Based on the foregoing/ intervening comments, is it fair to say that Wolverton Works categorises the major structural/ corrosion repairs as a C7?
 
Joined
28 Jun 2012
Messages
835
Location
Epsom Downs
C7 is a new one on me. An extended C6 would usually be a C6X. Mark 3 fleets usually have C4 and C6. Corrosion is just AAW (additional arising work)
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,270
Location
West Wiltshire
C7 is a new one on me. An extended C6 would usually be a C6X. Mark 3 fleets usually have C4 and C6. Corrosion is just AAW (additional arising work)

I haven’t heard of a C7 either.

Even the heaviest repair / refurbishment / reconfiguration eg the 4CEPs at Swindon works didn’t seem to get that title
 

TJDevon

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2018
Messages
150
Location
Exmouth
I hadn't heard of a C7 either but the term was used by a GWR manager.

As predicted 150202 remains out of use. 150243 seems to have vanished as well - anyone have any news on this unit?
 
Joined
28 Jun 2012
Messages
835
Location
Epsom Downs
Wolverton also seems to have a history of being shall we say, hit and miss. There were a number of stories of the 456 fleet coming back to Wimbledon with the electrical boxes in the couplers wired upside down, while other units have had refurbishments there and also come back somewhat sickly.
There were some instances of swarf in the electrical cabinets. The upside down reference happened not on the drumswitches, but the entire schematic upside down and holes drilled then in wrong places for grab poles through the floor through cabling. One 456 and 5913 suffered this fate, the 455 having its alternator flashed over. That said I thought they did a damn good job overall on the 456s and 5913 was a fantastic piece of body repair. The 456 refresh was one project that didn't reduce my life expectancy.
 

150249

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2021
Messages
1,242
Location
The better Devon city
I hadn't heard of a C7 either but the term was used by a GWR manager.

As predicted 150202 remains out of use. 150243 seems to have vanished as well - anyone have any news on this unit?
I thought I saw it on Tuesday. Could have been 150234 though. I heard that one had a bit of a fault but I thought that was 150248
 

tomuk

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
2,009
Isn't 150 202 one of the odd group of units GWR lease from Angel rather than Porterbrook like the majority of their 150s. The Angel 150s are on a different refurb cycle to the Porterbrook ones.
 

TJDevon

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2018
Messages
150
Location
Exmouth
150248 was last noted working the Okehampton line on 20th June, so seemingly does have a problem.

150234 was on the Falmouth line on Tuesday and has been working Exmouth/Paignton yesterday and today.

150202 is indeed a GWR Angel unit, along with 207 and 216.
 

TJDevon

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2018
Messages
150
Location
Exmouth
I was well ware of the original prognosis. What I was seeking was any update on the current situation, if available.

One must wonder if other 150s are in a similar corroded state.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,903
One must wonder if other 150s are in a similar corroded state.
Depends when it last had corrosion repairs. For example the Northern units had major work done in the last few years (the pictures of what remained after being stripped down are pretty impressive) so I'd be surprised if they were that bad.
 

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,133
Location
North East Cheshire
Is it really worth spending nearly 12 months repairing a single life expired and corroded train. Just scrap the thing.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
Is it really worth spending nearly 12 months repairing a single life expired and corroded train. Just scrap the thing.
And replace it with what? GWR's DMU fleet has shrunk further and further over the last few years since the loss of the 143s, 150/0s, 150/1s and 153s. As shown recently, the 150/2s are GWRs Jack of All Trades - covering the branch lines, Cornish Mainline and Devon Metro, and even covering for IETs as far as Reading. I'm sure they'd like to, but until a proper West Fleet replacement is sorted, they really don't have choice (that and the original cascade plan was far too reliant on everything running smoothly with absolutely no faults at all to the 769s).

It isn't the first 150/2 to be away from a while for corrosion repairs - the former Wessex units spent some considerable time away as well thanks to the corrosion caused by 15 years of bodyside Vinyls + Saltwater from the Dawlish area.
 

150249

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2021
Messages
1,242
Location
The better Devon city
I'm on 150216 (150202's twin from the Midlands) which also has very inconvenient 2+3 seating.
I hadn't heard of a C7 either but the term was used by a GWR manager.

As predicted 150202 remains out of use. 150243 seems to have vanished as well - anyone have any news on this unit?
150243 forms the rear 2 coaches of the train I'm on and sounds rather faulty.

I did also hear that 150244 was very disruptive last night but I'm assuming not because it is on the Exmouth - Paignton branch with 150249 today
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,932
Nothing unusual for protracted repairs to vehicles from this era. The ex Greater Anglia 156s at EMR that are being prepped at Wolverton for eventual transfer to Northern are taking anywhere beyond 6 months each.

I was on a 156/9 recently where you could literally put your fingers through rot holes in the bodysides near the external door buttons.

20220723_195634.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top