Kite159
Veteran Member
Was on the Par(although I think it started from Plymouth) to Exeter '57' loco service today. 10 minutes early into Exeter. 3+2 high density seating 
Was on the Par(although I think it started from Plymouth) to Exeter '57' loco service today. 10 minutes early into Exeter. 3+2 high density seating![]()
I can't check back now on Journey Check but I think this reference referred to a London HST which was worked by 3 Coaches (DMU) for part of journey.I was a little confused as the journey check said 3 carriages instead of 8, yet the loco service is normally 3 or 4 coaches, and low density seating so 150002 probably had more capacity with less coaches.
Indeed. I have merged the threads now.I'm not blaming the OP for duplicating a thread as he has probably just missed the other one inadvertentlty The poster himself, after the link was quoted to the original, has suggested that his thread be merged. What I cannot understand is why people, therefore, keep posting on this thread in lieu of the original thread...
150s when new were used on North TPE services for a while and have more recently been used on Buxton-Blackpool services before the route was split so long journeys for 150s with 3+2 seating is something that has happened throughout their lives but not perhaps in the FGW area.
FGW area has had the longest ever distance 150 journeys for many years. Cardiff / Bristol to Penzance is a regular route and if you need an early southbound trip or late northbound it's the only choice you'll have.
Oh a lesser scale, Great Malvern - Westbury is bad too, nearly three hours on a 150. Fair enough there can't be many doing end to end journeys but I've done the Worcester Foregate Street to Westbury slog on a 150/1 before and it wasn't good. Gloucester - Weymouth is 3.5 hours and god forbid if a 150 turns up from GMV right through to Weymouth...
150s also turn up on Portsmouth - Cardiffs when a 158 fails. None as bad as Cardiff - Penzance however!
I wonder how it would compare to a 165 or 166 between Paddington and Great Malvern. There are a couple of 180-operated services that are pathed for 90mph in case a Turbo has to stand in, no idea how often that actually happens. While Turbos are fine for shorter journeys, a 170 minute through journey, almost 3 hours, would probably be quite uncomfortable especially on the 165 variant without tables. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C40910/2014/08/21/advanced
FGW area has had the longest ever distance 150 journeys for many years. Cardiff / Bristol to Penzance is a regular route and if you need an early southbound trip or late northbound it's the only choice you'll have.
150/2s are better than 150/1s (and 0s/9s) for long distance, owing to having tables and only 2+2 seating (so more space).
Better, but not ideal.
Sometimes I'm glad that Arriva don't have any 150/1s... The thought of one turning up on a Cardiff - Holyhead run is enough to make your eyes water...
Parallel said:I actually find the shape of the seats on 150/1s quite comfortable. Only for short periods of time though.
150002 is already popping up through Cornwall on main line services.
Tall ships are here from Thursday to Sunday, with Sunday being the race day with over 200000 extra people expected in Falmouth area.
150001 stopped at Reading depot since 18th August and 150002 today operating out of Bristol to Worcester and Westbury (and other places).
I pictured 150002 passing near Carn Brea between Redruth and Camborne on Saturday 16th August. I had my shutter speed too slow so a poor picture unfortunately. It was on an Exeter to Penzance service that day.
That was the day it replace the loco-hauled service,it worked back to Exeter on the Sunday afternoon. I have not seen it in Cornwall since.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well the 150/0's have not made it onto the Falmouth branch so far. The first day of the enhanced services for the Falmouth Tall Ship's event sees 150120 & 153370 on one working and 150126 & 153377 on the second diagram.
Trains are not calling at Falmouth between 25th and 28th August due to the Tall Ships Race taking place. Trains are being strengthen to 3 cars which cannot be accommodated at the platform. Today, at least, the 2 Diagrams are each 150+153 Combo.Falmouth town station will not be served with the 3 coach service due to short platform.
Truro has a queuing system set up
Photo from radio Cornwall facebook page: