• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

150/1 on Northern Lincoln-Adwick Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
Hello, a first time poster here, so be nice ^^

Since Ive moved to uni, I have been commuting on the Robin hood line, to either nottingham or worksop, then on to lincoln. Usually these have 142 class trains (of varying levels of 'niceness' and different seating plans.) However, Today I was coming home, And saw a 150/1. The at other points on the track, I saw other trains of this class (However a 142 earlier in the morning)

I was just wondering if these trains are staying on the line? They where quite funky, full of charachter, and I actually preferred them to either the Eas Midlands 158's (feel cold and clinical) or the Other 15x classes that have been slightly refurbished. (Blue handles, red seats, not good colour co-ordination)

196109_1808663890136_1046117897_2066846_520684_n.jpg


Thanks all :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, I was on the bench seat on 140 btw,just outside the toilet, Had quite a schoolbussy feel for some reason :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
150s are normally confined to the Leeds and Manchester areas, but of course with Northern they do move around to different depots for maintenance and to cover for other units. Looks as if this has been the case, so they probably wouldn't be around for much longer. Haven't heard anything about them moving down so if they do stay around let us know.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
For fleet consistency reasons Northern do not base 142s and 150s at Neville Hill. The 150s are all based at Newton Heath while the 142s are mainly at Newton Heath with a smaller fleet than at Heaton.

However, that doesn't mean West and South Yorkshire are 142 and 150 free zones. The Manchester-Sheffield stopper is mainly 142 operated and I think the first Manchester-Sheffield train of the day stays in Yorkshire rather than returning to Manchester, so a unit swap on that service could give you a 150 or 156 instead of a 142 on other South Yorks services.
 

37372

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2006
Messages
587
Location
Mexborough
It does happen from time to time when 150s end up in Sheffield having arrived from Manchester or Leeds, maybe not daily but at least a couple of times per week. Its a nice change from the pacer monotony when one does end up on the Lincoln diagrams :)
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
Thanks guys, I was just getting a little confused when I saw three of them all at the same time. I mean there is A 15....4?? that usually operates the route (only seen it once or twice though) and at first i was just thinking it could be merely a train I hadnt seen before.

On a side note, what do you think of the re-upholstering of the EMT 154s? Some of the single carrage units look very smart, however the double length ones still look a bit unloved on the outside..

On another side note; I take it Northern prefer keeping one class of trains to one route, ie; Pacers. Rather that the mix of 154's and 158's that you see most emt routes, I assume because a 154 and a 158 have similar maintinance requirements, whereas a pacer wouldnt have much in common with either of those two? You still see the occasional 158 to leeds in worksop though.

Thanks for putting up with my mindless babble :)
 
Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,293
Thanks guys, I was just getting a little confused when I saw three of them all at the same time. I mean there is A 15....4?? that usually operates the route (only seen it once or twice though) and at first i was just thinking it could be merely a train I hadnt seen before.

On a side note, what do you think of the re-upholstering of the EMT 154s? Some of the single carrage units look very smart, however the double length ones still look a bit unloved on the outside..

On another side note; I take it Northern prefer keeping one class of trains to one route, ie; Pacers. Rather that the mix of 154's and 158's that you see most emt routes, I assume because a 154 and a 158 have similar maintinance requirements, whereas a pacer wouldnt have much in common with either of those two? You still see the occasional 158 to leeds in worksop though.

Thanks for putting up with my mindless babble :)

EMT has 153s, 156s and 158s. There is no such thing as class 154s :)
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
EMT has 153s, 156s and 158s. There is no such thing as class 154s :)

150002 has been previously known as 154001. This is something to do with it being given a class 151 part to see how much it improved it's performance. However, a single carriage 154 referred to as above is almost certainly a 153.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,293
I know, but for a new member it is easier to just say there is no such thing as a 154, which to be fair is correct, as if someone wanted to number some stock in the 154xxx range now, they most likely could
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
The 150/1 and 150/2 do get onto the Lincoln diagrams a few times a week. I normally see them travelling in the opposite direction while being bounced around on a 144 or 142. I don't mind the Pacers too much, at least they get me there...

On the side note, I haven't had the pleasure of a refurbished EMT 156 yet, but I found the 153 refurbishment to be an improvement on what went before. It's not as good as the job they did on the 158s, but at least the 153s feel cleaner and fresher now!
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
Thanks for the info on the 154 being 153 or 156 :)

I didnt know the 158's had been refurbished. although to be fair, until recently i thought they where just refurbished 156's. and tbh I wish they had made the 156's upto the standard of 158's

What is the major differance between 142 and 144, I know some of the trains on that line have different seats, but I alwasy thought it was northern skimping on refurbishment and using whatever they could get cheap.

Reflecting more on the 150. It seemed the kind of train that would fit perfectly into being either a school special, or a seaside special (like the mansfield woodhouse => skegness train thar runs direct in the summer )

I have to say that so far you seem a friendly bunch of peoples, Unlike some other forums i visit :(
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
For the main differences between the 142s and 144s, Wikipedia is a good place to start;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_142
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_144

The 142s have various different interior arrangements, thanks to different refurbishment schemes under-taken by different TOCs post-privatisation. The ones with bench seats are ex-First North Western, the others are ex-Arriva Trains Northern / Northern Sprit. There are also a few refurbished to Merseyside PTE spec.

The 144s come in two versions, either 2 or 3 car. They were originally run in West Yorkshire PTE colours, but have now been repainted and refurbished to Northerns specifications. These are the ones with high-backed seating, and slightly more well appointed interiors. There are a similar batch of trains designated 143s that are based in the South West with First Great Western and Arria Trains Wales.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
The 150/1 and 150/2 do get onto the Lincoln diagrams a few times a week. I normally see them travelling in the opposite direction while being bounced around on a 144 or 142. I don't mind the Pacers too much, at least they get me there...

On the side note, I haven't had the pleasure of a refurbished EMT 156 yet, but I found the 153 refurbishment to be an improvement on what went before. It's not as good as the job they did on the 158s, but at least the 153s feel cleaner and fresher now!
Those pacers only jsut manage it though, you can hear them squeel on that last corner into playform 5 at lincoln!

From what ive seen (im no expert btw) The 156 refurb is the same as the 153 refurb, However on a 156 unit. also all the 153's seem to have a good clean and shiny paint (with no bumps in the metal skin) whereas the 156's dont have any new cleaning, and still look a bit rough on the outside. Meybe they should paint all of them in the colour scheme on the 158s?

Has anyone ever seen a 158 full btw? for some reason its always 156's that get used on busy routes, where it mgets to standing room only, however Ive never seen a 158 full :/
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
does this seat style have a name btw?
300px-British_Rail_Class_144interior.JPG


as some of the 153's with this seating style, that have been refurbished, look great!

Thanks for being patient with me BTW :)
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
Those are Richmond seats. They were favoured by Northern Spirit (Arriva Trains Northern) and were installed on the 144, 153 and 156. Some of the 153s were later transferred to East Midlands Trains.

The more common type of seating on EMT 153s and 156s are Chapman seats, as seen in this photograph.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
Thanks :)

The refurbs with richmond seats look much nicer than with chapmans :)
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,514
Has anyone ever seen a 158 full btw? for some reason its always 156's that get used on busy routes, where it mgets to standing room only, however Ive never seen a 158 full :/

Oh yes many a time, try looking at the 158s that operate on the Liverpool - Norwich between Liverpool and Nottingham, also on the Northern side the Blackpool to Yorks can be fully loaded between Bradford and Micklefield at least. 156s actually have slightly more seating capacity than the 158s and actually so do a lot of the 150s with the older style seating
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Try any of the York/Blackpool North trains out of Leeds at rush hour. Lucky to get on never mind getting a seat.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For fleet consistency reasons Northern do not base 142s and 150s at Neville Hill. The 150s are all based at Newton Heath while the 142s are mainly at Newton Heath with a smaller fleet than at Heaton.

Interestingly there was a 150 at Heaton two weeks ago, which must have been up for maintenance.
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,514
150s, 153s and even 158s (however more rare nowadays) often make it up to Heaton for one of their exams (can't remember which one) and recently 321s went up for maintainence which.... well didnt work too well as it seemed to hinder performance soon after
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
It is quite a long way for them to travel, surely it could be sent over the Newton Heath and done there? Normally I see 142/4s from the Leeds area at Heaton but the first time I've seen a 150.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
I still have a little bit of hope that the reason all the 150's where on lincoln lines, was that the somehow the pacers ended up in a big fire somwhere, and will be replaced some shiny new trains.. However I think its unlikely :(
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,514
156s often make it ECS from Heaton to Manchester Vic to cover shortages but 150s often work over in service fpr part of the way (Calder Valley / Harrogate line) so its not all wasted mileage. As I say Heaton are the speciallists for a couple of the exams so most units will see there at one point or another
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
Just letting y'all know that I was in a 144 today, so no funky 150's for me :(
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
I like that not only is the photograph in the original post one of a rare event on that part of the Northern network, it's of numerical sisters, in numerical order!
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
I like that not only is the photograph in the original post one of a rare event on that part of the Northern network, it's of numerical sisters, in numerical order!

I know, Hows that for luck :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I waited at the crossing in lincoln, to see if there where any more 150's on this track. However only an EMT 156 and a Northern 158 to leeds passed through.
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
It's unusual to see Northern 158s at Lincoln these days. The 1627 to Hull (via Sheffield) used to be a regular 158 working, but the last few times I've used it, it has always been a 142 or 144. In the early days of the Northern franchise the 1627 was a guaranteed 156 working, and I actually missed these units when they transferred away to the other side of the Pennines (I think?).
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
maybe thats suggesting there is somthing up with the 142 fleet? Line full of 150's one day lines that dont often have 158's having 158's and also the train i catch that is almost a dead cert to be a 142, was a 144.. either somthing is going on, or we have a massive coincidence
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,673
theres usually at least 1 150 operating in south yorkshire per day. On any of the routes. inc leeds sheffield stopper, huddersfield stoppers and leeds sheffield fasts.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
aye i meant to mention nottingham leeds fasts aswell as sheffield leeds fasts.... :) I seen a 155 once on barnsley line.

Now a 155 is.... Two 153's coupled together, but without the middle cabs, ad 153's where modified from the 155's? right?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top