Xenophon PCDGS
Veteran Member
This seems to be an "all stops" service. What units are scheduled to run this servce normally and what depot supplies them?
This seems to be an "all stops" service. What units are scheduled to run this servce normally and what depot supplies them?
It'll be a 156 - I'm pretty sure this is a joint ScotRail and Northern working. I understand the units on these joint workings can be SR or NT, if its NT it'll be a Heaton depot unit, not sure for SR.
The 0617 off Dumfries is a Scotrail working, operated by Northern Rail. It will be a unit provided by Heaton depot, so could be a 156 or a 142
I think it's been shown in the past (with a photo and everything!) that a Pacer has been deployed on this duty before, but it was either a one off occurence or it happens so infrequently that anything other than the booked 156 appearing on the service is virtually a theoretical scenario.I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any Pacers on revenue earning duty in Scotland since one was on the Bathgate line around twenty five years ago (?)
I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any Pacers on revenue earning duty in Scotland since one was on the Bathgate line around twenty five years ago (?)
I've seen 142s on early morning Dumfries services many times. Many years ago it used to be 143s before they were packed off to the WR. No pacers on the early morning Dumfries the last time I was up there though, 156s both days.
Northern diagrams on table 48 seem to be a pretty random 142/156 mix, one day a service is 142 the next it's a 156. If Carlisle ends up with lots of 142s overnight, I don't suppose they'd have much choice but to send a 142 to Dumfries, crew knowledge permitting..
I've certainly seen Pacers working...... as far as Carlisle, but didn't realise they'd crossed the border.
I've seen 142s on early morning Dumfries services many times. Many years ago it used to be 143s before they were packed off to the WR. No pacers on the early morning Dumfries the last time I was up there though, 156s both days.
Northern diagrams on table 48 seem to be a pretty random 142/156 mix, one day a service is 142 the next it's a 156. If Carlisle ends up with lots of 142s overnight, I don't suppose they'd have much choice but to send a 142 to Dumfries, crew knowledge permitting..
This service is a Scotrail service to Carlisle and a Northern service beyond.
A Northern 156 and crew are 'hired' for the Scotrail bit, the crew and stock arrive of the 05:27 Carlisle-Dumfries which is another Scotrail service that Northern operate. While this does not prevent 142s from showing up it, Northern are penalised for not supplying the specified traction.
Likewise, Scotrail are penalised should they not provide a 156 for the Northern 'bit' of the Newcastle-South West Scotland services.
Does Uncle Alex know? I'm sure this contravenes the Act of Union 1707 in some way (& if it doesn't it should). This could be ground for war or even possibly minimum pricing for Pacer fares!?!![]()
Which is going to be thin air or a 158 really.
Yep and it can only be a 158 if crewed by Carlisle Northern staff from Carlisle to Newcastle as Newcastle don't sign them.
I have to say, I have never seen anything else deputising for the usual 156 on the main daytime services that Scotrail provide the stock for, and I have only occasionally seen any of the G&SW services to/from Newcastle cancelled, though this would seem to be the preferred alternative if a 156 is not available.Likewise, Scotrail are penalised should they not provide a 156 for the Northern 'bit' of the Newcastle-South West Scotland services.
Yes - back in the day (before the T&W Metro was extended to Sunderland) Strathclyde PTE liveried 156s regularly appeared on the evening Newcastle-Sunderland service.However I have in the past seen the Strathclyde PTE liveried 156s used to deputise for an unavailable Northern unit on an out and back turn down the Durham Coast, inbetween their booked time of arrival and departure at Newcastle!
At least one SPT unit has also appeared on the Durham Coast since the Metro extension opened, and the fill-in turn I was familiar with made use of the Scotrail 156 inbetween the 11am-ish arrival at Newcastle and the afternoon departure.Yes - back in the day (before the T&W Metro was extended to Sunderland) Strathclyde PTE liveried 156s regularly appeared on the evening Newcastle-Sunderland service.
When asked to comment 'Eck responded with the following statement:
"The Tory led Westminster government is entirely to blame for the continued use of Pacers. A Independent Scotland would bury any Pacers that venture over the Border at the bottom of Loch Ness!"
i was once lucky enough to get a 142 on this turn and my day was complete to say the least!Which is going to be thin air or a 158 really.
I have to say, I have never seen anything else deputising for the usual 156 on the main daytime services that Scotrail provide the stock for, and I have only occasionally seen any of the G&SW services to/from Newcastle cancelled, though this would seem to be the preferred alternative if a 156 is not available.
are 158s cleared for that route?
ECS only.
To do with the doors or something? Or the steps?