• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Rail London - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
22 Nov 2025
Messages
6
Location
hertfordshire
Hi all, been silently reading all the tips shared here (thank you!!) and I recently had my DMI which went well. I’m anticipating an offer for a course starting soon but I have a dilemma and would appreciate your perspectives.

I have a trip booked end of Dec to beginning of Jan which cuts 4 days into the start of the training course.

- Changing the dates so I land sooner is a ridiculous price so not an option
- Cancelling the flight only gives me back a small fraction of what I paid so not worth it
- My mum is advising me to enquire about later courses, which I’ll do, but I feel she doesn’t understand the value and demand of a place on a training course

I feel my best options are to see if I can start 4 days late or move my whole trip to another time of year (providing I get the annual leave dates when signing my contract) as I’m anxious about delaying this opportunity

Any thoughts?
 

Pintman

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2023
Messages
191
Location
The Pub
Hi all, been silently reading all the tips shared here (thank you!!) and I recently had my DMI which went well. I’m anticipating an offer for a course starting soon but I have a dilemma and would appreciate your perspectives.

I have a trip booked end of Dec to beginning of Jan which cuts 4 days into the start of the training course.

- Changing the dates so I land sooner is a ridiculous price so not an option
- Cancelling the flight only gives me back a small fraction of what I paid so not worth it
- My mum is advising me to enquire about later courses, which I’ll do, but I feel she doesn’t understand the value and demand of a place on a training course

I feel my best options are to see if I can start 4 days late or move my whole trip to another time of year (providing I get the annual leave dates when signing my contract) as I’m anxious about delaying this opportunity

Any thoughts?
Idk if they'll let you change the start date, will probably be take it or leave it
 

Business Bob

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2018
Messages
140
Location
London
Hi all, been silently reading all the tips shared here (thank you!!) and I recently had my DMI which went well. I’m anticipating an offer for a course starting soon but I have a dilemma and would appreciate your perspectives.

I have a trip booked end of Dec to beginning of Jan which cuts 4 days into the start of the training course.

- Changing the dates so I land sooner is a ridiculous price so not an option
- Cancelling the flight only gives me back a small fraction of what I paid so not worth it
- My mum is advising me to enquire about later courses, which I’ll do, but I feel she doesn’t understand the value and demand of a place on a training course

I feel my best options are to see if I can start 4 days late or move my whole trip to another time of year (providing I get the annual leave dates when signing my contract) as I’m anxious about delaying this opportunity

Any thoughts?
I'm afraid changing courses dates or starting later in the week wont be an option. Also your annual leave is set in stone for the duration of the training course, 4x weekly allocated block leave pre-arranged into the course structure. There is no Ad-Hoc leave until you qualify.
 
Joined
22 Nov 2025
Messages
6
Location
hertfordshire
I'm afraid changing courses dates or starting later in the week wont be an option. Also your annual leave is set in stone for the duration of the training course, 4x weekly allocated block leave pre-arranged into the course structure. There is no Ad-Hoc leave until you qualify.
Thanks for responding. I’m hoping they let me know the block leave asap so I can rearrange the flight then, otherwise I’ll just have to lose my money but the sacrifice will be worthwhile I’m sure
 

mcorsini05

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2025
Messages
7
Location
Ruislip
Thanks for responding. I’m hoping they let me know the block leave asap so I can rearrange the flight then, otherwise I’ll just have to lose my money but the sacrifice will be worthwhile I’m sure
When did you have your interview??? I had mine in Friday just gone and waiting to hear. My online application status has changed from “application pending” to “offer in progress”.

Have you heard anything yet?!!
 
Joined
22 Nov 2025
Messages
6
Location
hertfordshire
When did you have your interview??? I had mine in Friday just gone and waiting to hear. My online application status has changed from “application pending” to “offer in progress”.

Have you heard anything yet?!!
I interviewed on Friday too! And I just checked my application status and it says the same thing. I hadn’t checked it since applying lol

Still not heard anything but I was being ambitious hoping they’d contact me yesterday. I’m thinking maybe Friday as that would make a week?
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
I'm in the talentpool with arriva, my status also changed from pending to offer in progress
May I ask when you were placed in the talent pool? Was it with this latest campaign drive that ended end of September? Or a previous one? I received an email saying that Id be notified if all 30 or so positions are filled, which would mean id go into the talent pool thereafter. Thanks in advance.
 

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
So basically I passed all the assessments with OPC and then I passed my DMI for the November intake. Arriva sent me an email to say I'm in the talentpool and considered for January intake.
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
So basically I passed all the assessments with OPC and then I passed my DMI for the November intake. Arriva sent me an email to say I'm in the talentpool and considered for January intake.
Ah I see. So maybe they had more DMI passes than posts for November intake. I'm on the other side, I've only passed the initial assessment and may be put in talent pool if I'm not advanced this time around.

Thank you for your reply and more importantly... Congratulations on being progressed to offer stage. Very exciting. Wishing you success!
 

mcorsini05

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2025
Messages
7
Location
Ruislip
Thing is, they mentioned potential course start date 5th Jan 26. Where I work now, I would like to give at least a months notice. Puts me in a tricky situation otherwise.

Also does anyone know what the status of “offer in progress” actually means??? Is it a good sign???
 
Last edited:

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
They will notify us from now until beginning of December latest 4th if the course start date is 5th January, they would give time for a month notice but you won't get much time to sit and think.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Offer in progress is one step closer, HR works through lists of candidates not everyone is as straight forward, they will get back to everyone from now until beginning of December just be patient
 

mcorsini05

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2025
Messages
7
Location
Ruislip
They will notify us from now until beginning of December latest 4th if the course start date is 5th January, they would give time for a month notice but you won't get much time to sit and think.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Offer in progress is one step closer, HR works through lists of candidates not everyone is as straight forward, they will get back to everyone from now until beginning of December just be patient
Thanks for the reply
 

Kelki

On Moderation
Joined
25 Feb 2021
Messages
145
Location
London
Hi all, been silently reading all the tips shared here (thank you!!) and I recently had my DMI which went well. I’m anticipating an offer for a course starting soon but I have a dilemma and would appreciate your perspectives.

I have a trip booked end of Dec to beginning of Jan which cuts 4 days into the start of the training course.

- Changing the dates so I land sooner is a ridiculous price so not an option
- Cancelling the flight only gives me back a small fraction of what I paid so not worth it
- My mum is advising me to enquire about later courses, which I’ll do, but I feel she doesn’t understand the value and demand of a place on a training course

I feel my best options are to see if I can start 4 days late or move my whole trip to another time of year (providing I get the annual leave dates when signing my contract) as I’m anxious about delaying this opportunity

Any thoughts?
I would consider what you are likely to financially gain over the course of your career in this position as opposed to the loss of a flight ticket or date change. It’s a no brainer really.

My advice is to focus on the course and the offer you have been made. Everything else that will affect it should not take a priority.
 
Joined
22 Nov 2025
Messages
6
Location
hertfordshire
I would consider what you are likely to financially gain over the course of your career in this position as opposed to the loss of a flight ticket or date change. It’s a no brainer really.

My advice is to focus on the course and the offer you have been made. Everything else that will affect it should not take a priority.
Thank you for responding. This makes absolute sense and is what I was leaning towards
 

matthemod

New Member
Joined
24 May 2024
Messages
1
Location
Hemel Hempstead
Hi everyone. I'm Mat and one of the late November cohort of Trainee Drivers based at Willesden. Thought I'd check out this forum I've heard so much about.
 

MMK007

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2025
Messages
8
Location
london
I was supposed to have an assessment on the 6th Nov which I did not have to attend as I had done the test prior but haven’t heard anything back from the OPC I’m assuming I’ve failed as people have had interview’s is it still worth poking them about it
 

Unobrow

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2024
Messages
244
Location
Manchester
I was supposed to have an assessment on the 6th Nov which I did not have to attend as I had done the test prior but haven’t heard anything back from the OPC I’m assuming I’ve failed as people have had interview’s is it still worth poking them about it
Even if you’ve already passed the psychometric tests for another TOC/FOC, you usually still attend to see if you need to pass them to a higher standard, or do extra testing. Or did the OPC tell you you didn’t have to attend as your previous scores were of a high enough standard?
 

Top