Hello,
A couple of weeks ago I made the journey from Bentham to Durham, leaving Bentham at 7:39am. This is an unstaffed station. However, when purchasing my ticket on the train, I was told that I could not use my 16-25 Railcard as it was before 10am (the cost was just over £49). However, on looking at a number of websites, including Northern Rail and thetrainline, it seems to show that I can in fact buy an 'anytime return' ticket for £32.85. Could you please advise on this discrepancy?
Does this mean that I can use my 16-25 railcard when purchasing an anytime return in advance, e.g. over the internet, but not if I was purchasing it on the train?
Many thanks,
A couple of weeks ago I made the journey from Bentham to Durham, leaving Bentham at 7:39am. This is an unstaffed station. However, when purchasing my ticket on the train, I was told that I could not use my 16-25 Railcard as it was before 10am (the cost was just over £49). However, on looking at a number of websites, including Northern Rail and thetrainline, it seems to show that I can in fact buy an 'anytime return' ticket for £32.85. Could you please advise on this discrepancy?
Does this mean that I can use my 16-25 railcard when purchasing an anytime return in advance, e.g. over the internet, but not if I was purchasing it on the train?
Many thanks,
Before I advise, I'd like to know what happened next? Did you pay for the higher priced ticket, or abandon your journey? Did you ask the guard to check the conditions? If so, did the guard check or refuse to? If you did travel and were sold the higher priced ticket, did you pay there and then or get an unpaid fare notice? (I always advise the latter - it is much harder to get money back than it is to appeal against them taking money from you).